1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Fresh Blossom on the TULIP

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Jul 31, 2021.

1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

YLT Gal 2:16 having known also that a man is not declared righteous by works of law, if not through the faith of Jesus Christ, also we in Christ Jesus did believe, that we might be declared righteous by the faith of Christ, and not by works of law, wherefore declared righteous by works of law shall be no flesh.'
    YLT Rom 5:19 for as through the disobedience of the one man, the many were constituted sinners: so also through the obedience of the one, shall the many be constituted righteous.

Do those two verses state that righteous and or justified is relative, through, the obedience of One / the faith of Jesus Christ (One) ?

YLT Rom 5:9 much more, then, having been declared righteous now in his blood, we shall be saved through him from the wrath;

Righteous in his blood. Does in his blood mean by his death? Isn't the obedience of verse 19 the obedience unto death even the death of the cross? The faith of Jesus Christ is relative to when he died. That is when, obedience of faith took place.

That is what is imputed to the first-fruit of the Spirit and or any other fruit God may choose. They are declared righteous.

Romans 8:23 Acts 15.

I believe the only part we have in this is after having been given the Spirit is to walk in the Spirit. Which is not easy for the flesh wars against it.

IMHO

2. Humble Disciple

Humble Disciple Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's perhaps no secret to anyone that I'm a great admirer of John Calvin who, like Martin Luther, risked his own life to promote the great scriptural truth of salvation by faith alone through grace alone.

I'm going to demonstrate, based on John Calvin's own words, that John Calvin was not a Calvinist.

According to modern-day Calvinists, the five points of Calvinism are an unbroken chain, and if one link is proven to be untrue, then the entire system fails.

As we can see, based on Calvin's own words, he, in the very least, rejected the doctrine of limited atonement:

The five points of Calvinism weren't written until the Synod of Dort, in response to the five points of Arminianism, and Calvin himself never taught limited atonement.

The acronym "TULIP" did not even originate from Dort, but is, of course, a modern invention in the English language.

While Calvinists are our brothers in Christ, Calvinism is not the only legitimate interpretation of scripture, and accepting or rejecting it has nothing to do with salvation, and Calvin himself was historically not a Calvinist. Instead, he was called by others a Lutheran.

Ecclesiastes 7:18
    It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other. Whoever fears God will avoid all extremes.

1 Corinthians 8:2-3
    Anyone who claims to know all the answers doesn’t really know very much. But the person who loves God is the one whom God recognizes.

#42 Humble Disciple, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Translation shopping is not a sound bible study practice. Yes, YLT frequently translates "dikaioō" (G1344) as declared righteous but that is a mis-translation. Compare with the NASB. Scripture says believers are "made" righteous, thus to translate as declared results in conflict, but translating as justified results in harmony.

Consider this link:
    The Rebel God: Justification means "made righteous"

#43 Van, Aug 4, 2021
  4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not think anyone claims John Calvin created or supported all of the TULIP doctrines.
    No one can say Calvinism is a legitimate interpretation of scripture. That it is why it is defended by ad hominems and obfuscation.
    If the T of the TULIP were true it would not be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom.
    If the T of the TULIP were true, the people of Matthew 23:13 would not have been entering the kingdom.
    If the U of the TULIP were true, God would not have chosen those "rich in faith, those that love God" James 2:5
    If the U of the TULIP were true, God would not choose people for salvation through or by reason of faith in the truth. 2 Thessalonians 2:13
    If the L of the TULIP were true, Christ would not lay down His life as a ransom for all, 1 Timothy 2:6
    If the L of the TULIP were true, Christ would not have "bought" those heading for swift destruction, 2 Peter 2:1
    If the I of the TULIP were true, the people of Matthew 23:13 could not have been prevented from entering the kingdom.
    If the I of the TULIP were true, it would not be hard for rich men to enter the kingdom. Matthew 19:23

#44 Van, Aug 4, 2021
  5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Totally in Adam; 1 Corinthians 15:22
    Unlimited Reconciliation; 1 Timothy 2:6
    Limited Redemption; John 3:16
    In Christ;
    Protected Faith;

These are the on topic issues. See if anyone cites verses that support these teachings.

6. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're living on a tropical island of one.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinists defend their false doctrine using ad hominems and obfuscation. Behold the off topic Calvinist post!!!!

If the T of the TULIP were true it would not be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom.
    If the T of the TULIP were true, the people of Matthew 23:13 would not have been entering the kingdom.
    If the U of the TULIP were true, God would not have chosen those "rich in faith, those that love God" James 2:5
    If the U of the TULIP were true, God would not choose people for salvation through or by reason of faith in the truth. 2 Thessalonians 2:13
    If the L of the TULIP were true, Christ would not lay down His life as a ransom for all, 1 Timothy 2:6
    If the L of the TULIP were true, Christ would not have "bought" those heading for swift destruction, 2 Peter 2:1
    If the I of the TULIP were true, the people of Matthew 23:13 could not have been prevented from entering the kingdom.
    If the I of the TULIP were true, it would not be hard for rich men to enter the kingdom. Matthew 19:23

8. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe in the unity of all Christian churches. It sure seems that you do.
    MB

9. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just look around your desert island to see who's with you...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See how the false doctrine of Calvinism is defended, folks, they ignore the evidence and use ad hominems.

If the T of the TULIP were true it would not be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom. Luke 18:24

11. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, not churches that endorse same-sex marriage and reject historical Christian doctrines like the deity of Christ.

12. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually Austin what you have shown is that by your own logic and quote it is Jesus that says works will save you.“One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have {work}and distribute to the poor, {work} and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

Now we know that works will not save you so that means that your understanding of this text is questionable at best. What Christ Jesus is saying is that material possessions and obeying rules will not save you. It is only through personal trust/ faith in Christ Jesus that a person can be saved. Only God can save and He saves because you trust in His son Christ Jesus. Just so we are clear here. God saves you after you trust in His son not before you trust in His son.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Silverhair, you twist scripture like twizzlers twist their licorice sticks.
    Since you demand that Jesus teaches salvation by works in that passage, you can exegete just how Jesus teaches works salvation. I await your exegesis.

14. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    While you may admire John Calvin and Martin Luther I have to point out that it was those that disagreed with those men that risked their lives. You may feel that they were great men of God and in some respects they were but they said and did things that were not Christian. Saying they were just men of their times does a disservice to the memory of the Christian martyrs and the apostles let alone the life Christ Jesus.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    There were specific times when Luther and Calvin ran for their lives or had to go into hiding because the Catholic church, with the backing of the government, wanted to kill them.

16. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Austin, I was going to say what you said was just dumb but really you are just deluded. You have really got to get some rudimentary reading skills. You are so locked in to the false teaching of Calvinism that you can not see the truth.

{Austin what you have shown is that by your own logic and quote it is Jesus that says works will save you.“One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have {work}and distribute to the poor, {work} and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

Now we know that works will not save you so that means that your understanding of this text is questionable at best. What Christ Jesus is saying is that material possessions and obeying rules will not save you. It is only through personal trust/ faith in Christ Jesus that a person can be saved. Only God can save and He saves because you trust in His son Christ Jesus. Just so we are clear here. God saves you after you trust in His son not before you trust in His son.}

Since you must not have read the whole post I put it here between the { } just above. Note the highlighted text in the second paragraph.

Your views are shallow and quite frankly you are rude when you miss quote or twist what people say. But why should anyone be surprised.

#56 Silverhair, Aug 4, 2021
  17. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not questioning if they had times when they feared for their lives. I am just saying I would not put them a pedestal.

18. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There were times when the Catholic Pope wanted to rule all the people and kill the ones who rejected the Catholic doctrines.
    MB.

19. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the time, because there was no separation of church and state, anyone declared a heretic by the Catholic church could be killed at will. For example, this is why Luther was in hiding while he translated the Bible into German.

20. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    How would you define putting them on a pedestal?