1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Friend just got out of rehab and is claiming all the glory for himself!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I have a friend who got addicted to drugs and alcohol. He lost most of everything he owned and ruined most every relationship he had. Some of his friends intervened and told him he had to get help. We recommend a good clinic in the area, but in pride he refused he even needed help. Once we showed him what his sin had done to his life and family in a firm but loving manner his pride began to falter and humility wrought by the sheer magnitude of his failure began to take root. He reluctantly agreed to check himself into the clinic after much persuading on our part.

After about 6 months he is out and clean. But I noticed the other day when he was giving his testimony before the church that he was taking all the glory for himself. He had the audacity to say, "I thank God for my friends who convinced me to get help. If not for their love and intervention in my life I would probably be dead right not. I would not be standing here now if they didn't love me and persuade me to get help."

How dare HE! He actually thinks his willingness to get help when we confronted him in his sin was his choice! He actually seem to believe the humility wrought by his failure was his own? He is removing all the glory and credit from his friends by suggesting that he even had a choice in the matter!!! What a prideful, self-centered, glory hog!

Just wanted to present the accusation that Calvinists make toward non-Calvinists from another perspective.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Sorry dear - apples and oranges. It's not even close.

3. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I agree with Ann. This is not representing the Calvinist viewpoint well. But I would be glad to come to your blog and spank you in a debate. hahah

4. Skandelon

It's not much different. Calvinist's accuse Arminian theology of stealing glory from God in the same manner I accused this friend of stealing glory from us. Perfect correlation. If it's not, make a case.

5. Skandelon

I'm your huckleberry

But why not just stay here on the "debate" board? Scared? :tongue3:

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Did the man do anything to assist in his rehabilitation? Yes? There you go. He didn't just walk in and was instantly healed? Oh yeah. There you go again.

7. Skandelon

:confused:

I don't even know what that means....

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

Luke 18:9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
    10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
    11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
    12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
    13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
    14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Did this publican have anything to do with his salvation? Did he go up to the temple just as the Pharisee did? Did he pray to God and ask for mercy?

I have to laugh at Calvinists. Anytime a non-Cal says they prayed and asked Jesus for forgiveness, they accuse the non-Cal of believeing they are saved by works. They did the exact same thing this publican did, but Calvinists ridicule it. But what did Jesus say?

Matt 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Now how in the world can you come unto Jesus unless you come unto him? That sounds ridiculous (and it is), but that is exactly what Calvinists ridicule non-Cals for, for obeying Jesus and coming to him in their hearts.

And, do you see Jesus saying anything about being regenerated in order to come? NO. In fact, you will never read anywhere in scripture where it says a person must be regenerated to obey a command of God. It is not mentioned, NOT ONCE.

Amazing, an entire theology built on something that is never mentioned in all the Word of God, not even once. Unbelieveable.

9. Skandelon

well stated winman!!!!