1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Friend loves at all times

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by bonniej, Nov 18, 2004.

1. bonniej

bonniej Guest

Proverbs 17:17 says "A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity . Now I'm not sure what the last part of that verse means but I do know what the first part is talking about. I have a dear friend that I have known since I was 9 yrs old. She used to sit behind me in school or Sunday School one and pull on the curls I had hanging from my head (I don't that those anymore). Even though we lost touch after we graduated from high school, for many years, we became reaquainted partially when my son was killed and then later on after she and her husband divorced and subsequently I went through the same thing. Proverbs 18:24 says " A man of many friends comes to ruin, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." I don't have but 2 ladies in my life besides my sisters that I would call true friends. I have met people on the forums that I was beginning to think of as friends but sometimes just when you think you are beginning to know someone, you find out that, that person was not the person you thought he/she was. My friend of 40+ years has shown me what a true friend is supposed to be. She is frank with me when I have a tendency to be upset about things I shouldn't be and she is someone that I can trust to talk to and tell anything to. I am saying all of this beause there are not many people who can say they have even one true friend. I know that should she be on this forum, I could send her a PM if I needed to and I wouldn't find sorry, but you can't send this person a PM because you have been put on their ignore list. I don't think she would do that even if she were mad at me. So if you are fortunate enough to have that friend, then cherish them always because they are few and far between. I feel blessed to know her as my friend but even more blessed that I have a friend in Jesus.
    John 15:13 "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends."

2. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

My Dad used to say that he could count the number of good friends on one hand.

My best friend is one that I met on an old Baptist board when I came back from overseas in 2000. I have gone to see her twice and plan to go again soon. I live in FL and she in NY. God really blessed me!!!

If anyone would have told me that they were going to go to some stranger's house that they met online, I would have told them that they were CRAZY. But this was truly a God thing!!!

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

His PM is never blocked...

I'm sorry you had this experience here and hope it can be resolved.

If there is anything I can do to help - PM me. I have never blocked anyone.

Blessings,
    §ue

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

A friend is someone who likes you in spite of your faults.

5. I Am Blessed 24

...and maybe because of them.

6. bonniej

bonniej Guest

Thank you both!

7. graceb2u

graceb2u New Member

I have one best friend from when I was young. Unfortunately, I had to move away and we don't keep in touch much. But, I have to say that my best friend is my husband. I can tell him anything and he will give it to me straight. This is something I really admire in him because he doesn't only do it with me. Through the years I have learned that the only really true and faithful friend I have is Jesus. I am so thankful for him because he is always there. You can tell him anything! No matter what we have done he will always love us and care about us. Something I don't believe humans can do.

8. bonniej

bonniej Guest

It's wonderful that you can say that about your husband. All of us should be able to say that. You are very fortunate.

9. Plain ol' Ralph

Plain ol' Ralph New Member

A true friend is some one who knows you and still loves you just the same, and is always ready to resolve any conflict that may arise in your friendship.

Any man or woman when they look at what their sin did to Jesus would be able to forgive as He has forgiven, it's part of the Law of grace, if ye would, He will. If ye won't, He doesn't.

10. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I like that Ralph .

11. I Am Blessed 24

This is true, but it works both ways...

Sometimes a friendship ends (and it is usually not just one friend that is at fault) and people just have to get over it and go their separate ways.

There are also friends who want you to compromise your standards and will NOT take NO for an answer(were they ever a true friend to begin with?) and you have to part ways.

The main thing, when a friendship ends, is to forgive the other person in your heart.

Forgiving does not mean you have to be around them and let them continue to bother/hurt/harrass you - or vice versa. Both friends need to get on with their lives.

The forgiving THEM helps YOU in the long run!

Remember, some friends are just here for a season and were never meant to be here longer...

[​IMG] §ue