1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A gentler Calvinism

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by evangelist6589, Sep 29, 2015.

1. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the welcome back, Brother!

• Like Like x 1
  2. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Theology is all about distinctions. There is a spectrum of Calvinism. Some folks are very far right. Some folks are very left, and there is everything in-between. My beliefs put me somewhere in the middle. Here is a link to a page that might be helpful in explaining the differences, but there are a lot of technical terms which may need explaining.

There are rabid Calvinists, (there are rabid Arminians too). When a dog has rabies, it goes mad and attacks anyone and everyone. The same for some Calvinists. Rabid Calvinists want to "bite" everyone. They can't distinguish between friend or foe, and they can't see the difference between a small, relatively innocent theological error and a major one. Rabid Calvinists are also Calvinists first and Christians second.

Hopefully my Reformed brothers don't think I'm too critical here, but I've seen some stuff in the high and hyper Calvinists that's very unhelpful, uncharitable, and sub-christian.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

4. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, there is bad stuff under every heading, and those who don't know where they stand on these issues.

My point is that we Reformed folks should be critical of ourselves - our own "tribe". Where we do not walk in line with the gospel, we need to call that out and call it sin. Part of being a Christ-like Calvinist (a gentle Calvinist, perhaps) is the humility to receive correction, and the courage to speak it.

I'm getting off topic here, but I would like to discuss this in another thread. . .

#24 thatbrian, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would say that they hold to another gospel in the sense of not really undertanding the true one as regarding to just why and How and when the Lord saves a sinner, but that they are NOT holding to another gospel in the sense that catholic church would!

For they still would see the death of jesus alone saving a sinner, that it is grace alone faith alone, but they are all over the place exactly nailing down what that really means!

6. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very useful link. I see (and have always known) that I am a moderate Calvinist...though I prefer the term mainstream Calvinist.

7. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mainstream sounds better. I'm not a moderate in anything. ;)

• Like Like x 1