1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A GOOD Thing About Reform/Calvinist Churches

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by skypair, Jun 1, 2007.

1. skypair

skypair Active Member

I'll bet they didn't fall for the "seeker friendly" craze!!!

I mean, NOBODY seeks God so why would they try??

I say this because 2 years ago the church where my nephew was an associate pastor voted to hire new pastors and start new program betting on the members and MONEY it would bring in to pay for them. Now most of them are looking for work! I can't imagine a Calvinist or Reform church doing any such thing, can you?

skypair

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I bet there are several good doctors who can help you with this pent up hostility.

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why explain yourself, man ? If you don't like Calvinists and those who hold to the Doctrine of Grace, then fire away.

Just do it.

Who cares about your reasons ?

4. skypair

skypair Active Member

Hey, I thought it was a GOOD thing, guys. C'mon, can't you see how us "free will" types have really been deluded -- turned worldly? The "joke" is on free will. I think your side is absolutely (though accidentally) right for a change!! :laugh:

Really, do you think the premise is wrong? That Reform and Calvinist churches ARE falling into the same error as "free will??"

skypair

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I wouldn't say "turned worldly", since free willism has its roots in worldly to begin with. But, sure, but I saw that a long time ago. A. W. Pink predates the latest fads by a long shot, and he saw it quite clearly, too. Are you finally realizing this now? That would be great.

Once again, this quote is so appropriate:

6. skypair

skypair Active Member

7. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Wow. Someone needs to explain that to Charles Capps and a few other WoF squeakers ..er.. speakers.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

==Biblically based churches never fall for fads no matter what form the fad may come in. That is true for Reformed and non-Reformed Churches. The churches that fall for such fads are trying to be popular with the worldly crowd. Those type churches are, in a word, worldy. They have ignored the Biblical warning about loving the world (1Jn 2:15-17, Jms 4:4).

9. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

My take on this...is in my column from a few months back. "Mountain Monergism"

Here is a small clip... the full column is in the link below

Mountain Monergism

10. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Skypair, thank you for the compliment. But while it is generally true that Reformed Churches have more resistant to compromise/pragmatism/liberalism, it is not always the case. And let us not forget the many non-C churches that are trying to be faithful.

Freewill theology leaves the door open to pragmatism. Some people think that God is all about serving us, not us serving God. If the ultimate purpose of all things is the salvation of man, then any thing that gets a profession of faith is fair play and can not be questioned. If any of us speaks against church "growth", we are cast as losers and disgruntles. But remember, only 8 were saved in Noah's day, only Lot and his family were saved out of Sodom, Christ Himself was murdered, as was all of the Apostles save John (but he was tortured). Spurgeon was thrown out of the Baptist Union and Pink was completely ostracized. But thank God for the faithful remnant He has chosen and enabled, amen!

11. skypair

skypair Active Member

Thanks guys!

I agree that the Reform church focuses on sanctification of the saints whereas the free will church tries to "spread the net" over ever larger "schools" of fish. Perhaps it is like Paul said, "One man planteth, another watereth, but God gets the harvest."

skypair