1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Graduation Rant

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by rbell, May 22, 2006.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

[whine]
    I just got back from a graduation. Is it just me, or are parents/loved ones acting less and less civilized at these things?

I got tired of grown-ups (supposedly) acting the fool and screaming...not when their kid actually got the diploma, but the whole time! And what's with the holding up of signs during the whole thing? Don't ya think that the parents behind you would like to see THEIR kid too, rather than the back of your misspelled sign?

I also wasn't too happy about the lack of decorum and respect shown during the pledge of allegiance and national anthem. And, I'm in the "Bible Belt," where that behavior is supposedly less rampant.

Is this happening everywhere? It does seem MUCH worse in public schools.

Gee whiz, I'm getting old and grumpy.

[/whine]

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I graduated from college in 1989, and my mother was the only family member who came, and she remarked how graduations 'used to be' solemn occasions and she was surprised at how many grads seems to have their own cheering section.

Then in 2002 I went to my niece's high school graduation, and it was more of the instant yells for most of them when their names were announced, but I don't remember seeing any signs. But I was in a balcony seat (this public school ceremony was done at Prestonwood Baptist Church in Plano, TX) and I could look down on the whole class and probably more than 3/4 had insignia on top of those silly flat hats, most of them college insigniae, but some were curiosities like a question mark or an unknown symbol. Few people 'dressed up,' which I am sure is also a gradual change since the 60's or 70's, paralleling churches and most types of conventions.

IMO... graduations were probably too rigidly formal decades ago, taking away the celebratory mood, or at least delaying it for a while before a big party. I don't mind to a significant extent. But if things get to where people are holding big signs and obstructing other peoples' views, or they're too loud or continuously chanting someone's name, or such stuff, that's going too far, and there should be somebody in charge of monitoring the audience for that and asking them to respect those around them. If they won't then ask them to leave.

3. standingfirminChrist

rbell,

welcome to the real world, where even amongst christians people have no respect for their fellow neighbor.

Sorry yer day was bad there bro. Had I known you were going to a graduation, I may have been able to warn ya. I attended one in 2004 that was very much like the one you attended.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

As a student minister, I go to 5-6 per year. Yuck...part of the job. I like seeing the kids all proud, but can't take the other histrionics.

And yes...I've seen a growing gap behaviorally at the private vs. public graduations.

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Our graduation here does not have any of that. Maybe the occasional yell for a student, but very rarely. This year was a nice service. The Valedictorian and Salutatorian are both strong Christian ladies and they both referenced knowing Christ in the speeches and that He is the key to their success. It was rather refreshing.

6. standingfirminChrist

Pill time!

rbell, yer first patient. lol

7. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The last graduation I attended (last year) was in a Russian village here in Alaska, and there were 7 in the graduating class. 22 scholarships were offered. Very solemn, very high academic achievment. The only thing that wasn't "solemn" was the PP presentations of each student with music. (I did feel sorry for the one girl who did not get a scholarship, and it was not from lack of effort. Sweet young lady.)

However, from my understanding, at the local high school (about 100 in the graduating class), there was everything from clown shoes to mock gang signs to horror makeup.

8. On the Edge

On the Edge New Member

I don't know, I think its fine to cheer at a gradutation. i went to my sister's college graduation recently at a large Bible college here in the Southern US. It was mainly the other students doing the yelling and cheering and air horns. I thought it was great but it was only when they named names, not the entire time with signs.

What I don't understand is Kindegarten graduation. Its "congrats you get 12 mandatory more years of school!!!" "But its so cute" they say; it makes no sense to me. thats my rant

9. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The air horns are what bother me the most.

10. Convicted by the Spirit

I think its great that family members cheer really loud for those that graduate. Its supposed to be a joyious day, why not celibrate? Air horns don't bother me, kind of funny that someone would sneak one in and then have the guts to blow it. My mother went back to school and busted her hump for 5 years to get her degree ... do you think i was going to give a golf clap? .... I yelled as loud as I could. I wanted her to know that I was happy for her and proud of her accomplishment.

What does bother me is when people come to see their loved one graduate and then walk out the building as soon as they walk the stage? I mean that graduate spent 2 to 7 years in school and you just get up and walk out after about 45 minutes of sitting? Usually this is the big heard of people all walking out at the same time ... just when the people in back of them are trying to see their son or daughter walk the stage.

11. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ditto! Bring on the beach balls and air horns, but please ... don't block my view! :smilewinkgrin:

#11 PJ, May 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2006
  12. Leah

Leah New Member

My graduation was a couple of weeks ago, and nothing like that happened. Everyone clapped and was happy for each and every graduate. There were a few 'cat' calls and stuff, but they weren't obnoxious.