1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Great Option

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, May 11, 2008.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you believe God has called you into the ministry. To that end, you wish to learn the Word of God better. You don't have the money or the time to attend full-time seminary classes on-campus or on-line. Maybe you don't even have an undergraduate degree (which means seminary is out of the question). Therefore you have been entertaining the idea of getting your seminary education through an unaccredited, highly questionable "school".

Well, there is another option for you that you probably don't know about. It is called "Willmington School of the Bible" at Liberty University. For about $90 per credit hour, you can work from home or through a church and earn a Graduate of Theology (Th.G.) certificate in Biblical Studies. Not only that, about 48 credit hours can be applied towards a BA/BS degree at Liberty University's School of Religion.

This is a wonderful option for people who need schooling but can't afford university/graduate school tuition. With programs like this, there is no excuse to work through an unaccredited and/or questionable program.

Willmington School of the Bible

2. nunatak

nunatak New Member

That sounds wonderful. And it applies to me exactly! I appreciate the tip.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How is this different than Liberty Home Bible Institute? :confused:

edited...it is Liberty Home Bible Institue (www.lhbi.org). LHBI cost $950 if paid in full, $1250 in installments. With the electives, 42 credit hours cost $1310 PIF, $1610 installments.

48 credit hours at Willmington School of the Bible will cost $4600+ (if they charge for the 48 hours...$5600+ if they charge for the 60)!! How is this better than LHBI? You have to do 60 credit hours of work to earn 48 credit hours?

I'd say, as long as LHBI is still up and running, order NOW if you are considering Willmington!!

#3 webdog, May 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2008
  4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is my understanding that more credits from Willmington School of the Bible will transfer into a BA/BS degree at Liberty. 51 to be exact. LHBI is not a direct transfer and therefore there are not guarantees. However it is possible to get upto 42 hours transfered up from LHBI (after an exam, etc).

Can I pursue an Associates degree or another Bachelors Degree other than the B.S. Religion degree?

Yes. However, we strongly recommend the B.S. Religion degree completion plan as a way to apply the maximum credit that you are eligible to receive for LHBI. The credit you are eligible to receive for LHBI will not apply as generously to other degree programs.

Why don’t you give direct transfer credit for LHBI?

LHBI is a certificate program and is not earned from an accredited degree program. The credit from LHBI is non-transferable to regionally accredited institutions of higher learning; however, Liberty University has developed an assessment process that validates the knowledge of LHBI certificate

holders.

Source

Personally I would rather do WSB than LHBI because I could not see myself listening to Dr. Willmington's lectures on tape for two years. I have heard some of his lectures, not LHBI, and they are great. But I would prefer a variety of teachers. Just a personal thing.

#4 Martin, May 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2008
  5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

LHBI stated that up to 42 credit hours count towards the associates. Willmington will only take 48 credit hours. I still think the more economical decision would be to go with LHBI and apply the 42 credit hours towards the associates program.

Now if someone already has an associates, Willmington would be the logical choice.

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess it just depends on a person's goals (etc). LHBI is good for Sunday School teachers and lay people who just want to improve their Bible knowledge. Willmington is like that also but it is probably aimed more at those who want an accredited certificate of some sort.