1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A History of Anti-pedobaptism

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by rlvaughn, Jun 28, 2017.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have any of you read A History of Anti-pedobaptism: From the Rise of Pedobaptism to 1609 by Albert Henry Newman (Philadelphia, PA: American Baptist Publication Society, 1896)? If so, what did you think?

Anyone seen a print copy for sale recently? It's on Google Books, but I wouldn't try to read something that long/large there. Some of the print-on-demand jobbers have it, but I have not been overly impressed with the few titles I've bought that way.

Thanks.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I skimmed through the second chapter and it seems quite sane. I've never heard of it before, but it might be worth buying.

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. I read it on my Nook while the wife was in the hospital. It has a lot of interesting information, although some of it is dated now and Newman's prose can be a bit dense at times. Because Newman took a special interest in the Anabaptists, he covers a lot of ground that's often left unplowed.

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great book (even if the prose is a but stilted). Every baptist should read this book. It gives great insight into the faith we practice.

5. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've thought about it for a long time, but haven't turned loose yet.
    Thanks. Yes, I don't like the Amazon price, neither am I a fan of another reprint that I got from Nabu. Do you know anything about the Forgotten Books publisher at B&N? I found that Wipf & Stock has it. Maybe they are more reliable, but their price is more in the Amazon range. I'd actually prefer a use copy, but haven't found one.

7. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can't say I've read any of its books. You can preview the pages at A History of Anti-Pedobaptism.

NOTE: After looking at the B&N copy and the one on the Wipf & Stock, it appears to me the link above is likely to the B&N version.

#7 rsr, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would also recommend "The Ecclesiastical History of The Ancient Churches of Piedmont, and The Albigenses" by Peter Allix."

(In the interests of full disclosure I am partial to Allix due to his having been a Huguenot, as were most of my ancestors.)

9. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have Morland but not Allix on the churches of the Piedmont.

An explanation on complaining about the on-demand reprints. They really are blessing to enable us to obtain books we could not otherwise, and I have picked that option a few times for that reason. I bought Jesse Mercer's Cluster (hymn book) on Amazon. It is done by Nabu Press. The two things I don't like about it are that the cover is very ugly and that the cover pages tend to curl up (still glad to have a complete copy of Mercer's Cluster). At least the Forgotten Books cover for Newman's book isn't quite so ugly! :Cautious