1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A holy kiss

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Salty, Oct 24, 2004.

?
  1. Yes

47.6%
  2. No

52.4%
  3. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 16:16
    Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you.
    (Whole Chapter: Romans 16 In context: Romans 16:15-17)

1 Corinthians 16:20
    All the brethren greet you. Greet ye one another with an holy kiss.
    (Whole Chapter: 1 Corinthians 16 In context: 1 Corinthians 16:19-21)

2 Corinthians 13:12
    Greet one another with an holy kiss.
    (Whole Chapter: 2 Corinthians 13 In context: 2 Corinthians 13:11-13)

1 Thessalonians 5:26
    Greet all the brethren with an holy kiss.
    (Whole Chapter: 1 Thessalonians 5 In context: 1 Thessalonians 5:25-27)

How do we greet our brthren (and sisters) in church:

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a cultural thing.

Even some Europeans still retain kissing as an acceptable form of greeting.

HankD

3. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

When people get up close to the Pope, don't they have to kiss his ring? If they don't, is that considered rude?

4. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

There is a difference even in the area of the US you live in. It certainly is a cultural thing.

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Kissing is cultural. Sometimes it isn't done, sometimes it is on the cheeks, sometimes it is on the mouth.

Hugging is cultural and how well persons know one another.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heard a KJVo try to explain this was NOT lip kissing, but touching (like shaking hands). Like the cue ball "kisses" the 8 ball and the rail.

So if it means shaking hands/touch, then find. Me? That is an absurd way of looking at a simple verse that showed the cultural kissing.

7. mioque

mioque New Member

"When people get up close to the Pope, don't they have to kiss his ring?"
    "
    In the good old days it wasn't just popes Roman Catholic bishops had kissing rings as well.
    Abbots were expected to kiss the foot of the pope instead of the ring.
    The rules are a lot more lax nowadays.

"If they don't, is that considered rude? "
    "
    When the later saint Thérese de Lisieux grappled the pope refused to let go of him and begged him to let her become a nun despite her young age, that caused quite the scandal in the Vatican....

In my church grown men don't kiss eachother. But that is the exception. Everybody else, one big smoochfest especially during special occasions.

8. BillyMac

BillyMac New Member

The Russian people show respect for one another when greeting with a closed mouth lip to lip kiss. I saw this demonstrated one year at the Olympics following the athletic routine of a Russian male gymnast as he approached his male coach and planted a kiss on his lips.

This appalled me and I commented to my wife about it. Later, I watched closely and it happened again and again. Then, a light went on in my head as I was reminded of the Biblical references to a "holy kiss" and thought, "maybe that is what is meant by that".

Checking the references in Strong's Concordance a holy kiss must mean the same thing. A pure fondness for, as a friend.

I thought too that I'd find a declared difference between the Judas kiss and the kiss shown to the brethren, but alas, it was exactly the same thing.

Obviously this practice was lost somewhere along the way as we Americans are too uptight and straightlaced to be kissing our same sex friends on the lips. Even fathers are estranged from sons in this regard. A prime example of such mores, is illustrated on TV in an ad for the animated "King of the Hill", when Hank says to Bobby, his son: "Bobbie, if you weren't my son, I'd kiss you". Thus, showing the typical reaction of most homophobic fathers in regards to natural affection that they may have toward their sons. So afraid are they to kiss, hug or even touch in some cases the fruit of their loins.

In my opinion, and this is JUST my opinion, I think that if fathers kissed and hugged their sons like they do their daughters and even told their sons they loved them, we'd see less criminals, misfits, and wrong thinkers in our society than we do today.

Now for the record, I think that a kiss on the cheek (even both cheeks as some cultures do) is just as good as a kiss on the lips when greeting a friend, but that's just me.

If anyone can share a direct study of this thing called a "holy kiss" and what that phrase meant then and what it means today, I'd like to see what the author of such a study reveals. Is there a book that addresses this question or a teaching out there somewhere???

9. BillyMac

BillyMac New Member

OOPS! I meant to mention too the kiss that we all witnessed between John Edwards and John Kerry. My 87 year old mother when telling about her disdain for Kerry/Edwards, told me in the most disgusted tone about how Edwards kissed Kerry. Her reaction showed her repulsiveness toward such an act. It was then that I reminded her that Jesus was kissed by the brethren and asked her if that was what was referred to as a holy kiss. She didn't know right away, but she did tone down her repulsion.

I got to thinking about a kiss between Bush and Cheney and decided that that might be a bit much. Besides, Bush would have to get on a step stool to reach the VP up close and personal.

Ewwwwwwwww!!! Get outta my head...... get outta my head..........

10. Songbird

Songbird New Member

When I was a part of a Hispanic congregation, the men kissed the men and women kissed women on the cheek. I thought it was a sweet greeting. But it was always between the same gender. If it was the opposite gender then it was a handshake--never an embrace.

11. Fishnbread

Fishnbread New Member

I dont think kissing then was the same as now for instance then when they kissed it was considered like a hug now with all the pro homosexual thing circulating around its a little bit more than just a friendly kiss. And I don't think it was on the lips then either.