1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A listing of verses that speak of the Total Depravity of man

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by annsni, Dec 4, 2008.

1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a beautiful story of God's grace in bringing someone to witness the gospel to one of God's elect, who then responded, under conviction of Holy Spirit, with faith in Jesus Christ unto salvation.

I didn't see your question, BTW.

peace to you:praying:

2. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 1 does not speak of the special revelation of Christ, as is spoken of in John 3:18. BTW, John 3:18 says they have been condemned "already". They were condemned prior to hearing about Jesus. They simply compound their error in dismissing their only hope for salvation. It is not as if Jesus came into a neutral world where some will be saved if they believe in Him and some will be lost if they don't...and everyone else (who neither rejects or accepts because they never heard) gets a free pass. The condemnation has already occurred. The world has already rejected Christ because they have rejected God.

Romans 1 refers to the revelation found in creation. It refers to a revelation made know to everyone. That is a "general" revelation, in that it goes to everyone. It says everyone rejected that revelation. It says no one seeks for God. Not even one. They have all gone asray. They are "without excuse" because they have rejected the revelation of God found in creation.
    There is simply no historical evidence to support the theory that angels appeared and preached Christ in North/South America (unless you believe the Mormon myth) or Asia or Africa or Austrialia or any other place. The historical spread of the Gospel of Jesus Christ can be traced to Jerusalem, Judea and Sameria, and then throughout the Roman Empire of the time and so on. Just like Jesus said it would in Matt. 28.

I do not limit what God can do in any way. I can also look at modern historical records and determine if what I believe is supported by known facts.

If you have any evidence that Christ was preached by angels in any of those areas, please show me.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are missing the point of Romans 1, then. You lost me with the "neutral world" stuff :)
    It does refer to God's attributes found in nature, but that is not what is defining "Truth". You are allowing verse 19 to interpret verse 25 and the rest of Romans 1 while ignoring what's in between and surrounding.
    You have snipped and combined bits of truth to create that which is not true. People are condemned for not beliving in Christ, pure and simple, not for believing God is behind the Big Bang. When we stand before God the question will be have you believed in Christ, or rejected Christ.
    While I have never claimed any of this, I will alude to the fact there are testimonies of similar experiences. I based my statement off of Revelation 14:6 ...Then I saw another angel flying in midair, and he had the eternal gospel to proclaim to those who live on the earth—to every nation, tribe, language and people.
    I would also like to point you to the ministry Voice of the Maryr's. If you don't get the newsletter, you should sign up. You will be amazed by the testimonies of converted muslims and other false religion converts around the world.
    Agreed.
    If your determination is based on historical records, you have indeed limited God.
    Besides Rev. 14, I can only follow the pattern given throughout the OT and in the NT where God used angels as his messengers. I can't find the Scripture where it is stated He ceased doing this, in fact we are told in the NT that we may be hosting angels unaware. Who was responsible for sharing the Gospel with Paul?

#23 webdog, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2008
  4. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I am not so arrogant to think I know everything. However, saying I am missing the point of Romans 1, and then not telling me exactly how I have missed the point of Romans 1 by engaging the text, in context, does not convince me that I have missed the point of Romans 1.

About the "neutral world" stuff. If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that a person is condemned only for rejecting Christ as Savior. Is that your position?

What I am saying is that Christ came into a world already condemned. Christ came into a world that had already rejected God. That is clear from Romans 1, John 1, and 3, and many other passages of scripture.

Christ did not come into a world that was "neutral", that is...a world that was neither condemned nor saved, but simply waiting for God to give the opportunity or choice for either salvation or condemnation.
    The "truth" of Romans 1:18 is clearly identified as the attributes of God evident in His creation that reveal God to mankind. Mankind has rejected that revelation, also clear in v.21 to the end of chp. 1.
    Again, saying it but not proving it by engaging scripture in context does not persuade me that I have erred.
    Again, that doesn't answer the question of what happens to those who have never heard of Christ? do they stand condemned? If the best you can do is to say, "well, maybe angels preached Christ to them before they died", then I would say you have gone way beyond scripture in your beliefs.
    The "gospel" he proclaimed was "Fear God, and give Him glory, because the hour of His judgment has come; worship Him who made the heaven and the earth and sea and springs of waters."

Context #1: This is during the great tribuation, just before Christ comes to judge.

Context #2: The "gospel" that is proclaimed is the same from Romans 1...it is an appeal to general revelation. They should give God glory based on the fact He is the creator of all things.
    I have seen some of their testimonies. It seemed to me that they always found people to witness the gospel of Christ to, and those folks were saved. God sent them a human being, a Christian, to witness to them the truth of the gospel.

I haven't seen any that were saved by hearing angels proclaim the gospel, but I would read it if you could show me one.

Even if one person had such a testimony, that does not mean angels appeared to every single person on the planet to proclaim Christ. There is simply no evidence of that.

#24 canadyjd, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2008
  5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Was Abraham condemned? Noah? Moses? David? Mary? Simeon?

Only those who reject God are condemned. But some did believe, even before Christ came.

6. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never said people were not saved prior to Christ. They were all saved by grace and belief in the promises of God, specifically pointing to Christ as the fulfillment of those promises.

Every person you mentioned believed because of special revelation, not general revelation.

God intervened in their lives.

That does not change the truth of Romans 1 that the world, every single person on it, had rejected the revelation of God found in creation.