1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A man after his own heart

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by rlvaughn, Nov 1, 2018.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does God mean in describing David as a man after his own heart?

1 Samuel 13:14 But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the Lord hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the Lord hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the Lord commanded thee.

Acts 13:22 And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.

Your thoughts?

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    David showed a willingness to trust God in humble faith. He sought forgiveness when he sinned.

Compare to King Saul who followed his own desires and mind.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two things come to mind.

First, the way that David protected and defended God’s name.

Second, the way David treated those who made themselves his enemy. David loved Saul and remained loyal even though Saul hated him and was trying to kill him.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jesus Saves!

Jesus Saves! Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you see Saul as a type of the old man and David a type of the new man? Saul wasn't the king that God had in mind, but the people wanted a king. David was the King God gave them to reign. Saul seems like a type of the flesh. David a type of Christ. David could of killed Saul, but respected him as Gods anointed and just kept him under subjection. Our new man, Christ living in us has to keep the old Saul under subjection that Christ might reign in our hearts and lives.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jesus Saves!

Jesus Saves! Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I feel like these scriptures go along with this.
    Romans 7:14-25 KJVS
    [14] For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. [15] For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. [16] If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. [17] Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. [18] For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. [19] For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. [20] Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. [21] I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. [22] For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: [23] But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. [24] O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? [25] I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    David as a type of Christ.

• Like Like x 1
  7. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a clear contrast in scripture between Saul and David. I try to be careful with using "type" only where scripture uses the term.

That said, Saul is a strong example of someone rejecting God in favor of his own wisdom.

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A man who though still able to sin, had his heart and mind with a general bent towards what God wanted Him to be doing!

• Like Like x 1
  9. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Election ? Comes to mind.

Saul was king according to the heart of the people
    David according the the heart of God. Election!

10. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He sought God's will often..

" shall I go up?"

11. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have come to this conclusion as well, that this is the primary point made in the context, both in 1 Samuel 13:14 and Acts 13:22.

A number of people seem to find a stumbling block with David as a man after God's own heart, because they apply it in a way that makes them think he should have been less sinful than he was.