1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Modest Proposal

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by garpier, Jun 9, 2003.

1. garpier

garpier New Member

With apologies to Jonathan Swift, I offer a Modest Proposal. I have visited the BB occasionally since becoming a member here in 2001. My original interest and still my major pursuit is Biblical creation. Time spent in that forum was worthwhile because it opened my eyes to the arguments used by those who oppose a Biblical view of that subject. Lately I have found myself drawn to this forum, mostly as an observer. I am astounded by the uncivil tone used by those who oppose anothers view point.

While I don't expect many minds will be changed based on the strength or weakness of any one's arguments, I suspect that a great many will be turned away or discouraged from participating by the seemingly outright animosity exhibited by members on different sides of the arguments. I firmly believe that this topic is very important and am not advocating an end to this forum. However when I see folks who claim to be saved (and I am not questioning any members salvation) using personal attack on each other I am bothered. I have seen members call each other liars and question their sincerity. Have any of you considered that we will be citzens together in Heaven? Why not save such venom for sin and the devil. Most of you probably show more compassion and love to the unsaved you are witnessing to (and I believe it is right to love the sinner) than you do to fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.

Jesus said "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." (John 13:35 KJV) ""By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (John 13:35 NIV) If I were an unsaved individual I would have a hard time seeing love between some of the members of the BB who frequent this forum.

Having said that here is my proposal: If these discussions can not be conducted by all members without the type of civility that becomes brothers and sisters in the Lord, I propose that the administrators of the BB open two new forums. One exclusively for thos who prefer the KJV, and one exclusively for those who prefer to use an MV. Notice I am not advocating the closing of this particular forum, but rather the banishment to a different forum for those who can't discuss things without all of the recent ill feelings that have been exhibited to one another. The rules would be simple. One warning by an administrator will be given. A second such offense would lead to a banishment from this forum until such a time as the administrators see fit. During that time the offending member would be allowed to post only in the forum to which he best fits. Or if the administrators see fit to open such forums only those who esouse that view would be permitted to post there. In the meantime I would urge a tone of mutual respect for all members of the BB so that those who read these words will realize there is a spirit of genuine love among the bretheren here.

When we get to heaven these issues will be resolved and we will give an anwer for not just what we have done and said, but also the motive behind these things

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting proposal.

Here, the only place where KJV v MV are allowed to fuss at each other is here on the Versions forum.

If it comes up elsewhere, it is banished to the Version abyss.

So look at it as 40 forums where we do NOT fuss over versions and 1 forum where we try to straighten out the evil heretics [read: anyone who disagrees with OUR position!] :eek:

3. Istherenotacause

Istherenotacause New Member

Don't you mean we cult members?

Since I am a member of this illustrious "cult", I must be in the right one, The Lord Jesus Christ is MY "cult" leader. I'll have to let Him lead me to better things and better places.

In His Holy Service,

Brother Ricky Underwood

Ephesians 2:14

4. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Seems you are the one that likes to call yourself a cult member. :rolleyes: Hey, Jesus Christ is my leader as well and leads me to use MVs as well as the KJV. How about that! [​IMG]

Neal

5. Haruo

Haruo New Member

If I knew how to make a poll I would start one on how many different Jesuses are the Lord and Saviors of the folks on this forum. (A reductio ad absurdum of the commonplace complaint between orthodox and heterodox, but applied amongst us instead of twixt us and them.)

Haruo

6. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Say what????

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will start a poll for you. Think it may have surprising results! [​IMG]