1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A modest proposition

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by whetstone, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What calvinist said that? You have said that calvinists believe this but as far as I know calvinists consistently affirm the whole process of salvation taught by the Bible which includes faith, conviction, preaching, etc.

2. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you are misreading Ephesians 1. Paul opens his letter by telling the Ephesians about the Apostles</font>[/QUOTE] Nope. You don't think we are adopted? The "us" is associated with adoption.
    There is nothing in John 17 that limits election to the Apostles nor in Ephesians 1. Jesus specifically expanded the topic to those who would be reached by the Word.
    That won't hold. Paul uses language that applies to all the redeemed repeatedly throughout the first 12 verses and there is no indication that the "And you too" applies to everything preceding. It more likely applies to the thought immediately before it: "11In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
    12That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.".... which of course is another concrete declaration of predestination.

Your argument's only merit is that it is convenient to your position. It is not contextually sound.

3. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

No, and I don't limit it to the apostles, However Paul is telling the Ephesians that it is the Apostles who were ELECTED to build the church by spreading the Gospel to all nations making disciples, and that they too, the Ephesians are included by their faith.