1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A musique ( music) question?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by "Lil" Possum Preacher man, May 19, 2015.

1. "Lil" Possum Preacher man

Hi every one. I know this isn't related to music ministry (but it is to music) is it okay for a christian to listen to Dr John ( Matt Rebennack) he's Cajun and zydeco music player? I am asking because I think he dabbles in voodoo.The only religious statement I could find was made in a interview once where he said the following" I am okay with religion, it's man that tends to mess it up"(I paraphrased it a wee bit). Just a side note I have found I really love zydeco and cajun music.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not familiar with his music but a couple of questions:

* Does this bring you closer to God or does it bring you further away?

* Do the lyrics match up with Philippians 4:8?

* Do you feel guilt listening to the music?

I listen to 80s alternative music. It was the music of my young adulthood, I know every lyric and so much of it just is fun to me. The lifestyle of many of these artists was not great and many of them are now has-beens or dead. But I still enjoy cleaning my house to the B52s because you just can't get more fun than their songs! LOL

I don't think there is anything particularly bad about any music but it would also be fun to see if there are any Christian bands that do that style of music!

3. "Lil" Possum Preacher man

Oh that would be neat to find christians that do cajun or Zydeco :). Thanks for reply

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The voodoo thing is only an act.

I have several of his albums and, many years ago, when I lived in Key West, he played at a bar where I used to hang out.

Music isn't good or bad, in itself, just because it happens to be "secular" or "Christian". The truth is, there are plenty of Gospel songs that are just as bad as bad secular songs. They're just bad for different reasons.

In our house, a good rule of thumb we've tried to teach our children is to evaluate music and entertainment (and, really, this applies to most things in life) by asking four simple questions:

1. Does it pass the Philippians 4 test?

Is it true? Is it honorable? Is it just? Is it pure? Is it lovely? Is it commendable? Is there any excellence? Is there anything worthy of praise?

2. Does it pass the Galatians 5 test?

Does it exhibit, glorify, or incite the works of the flesh, which are sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, either in thought or in deed?

Or does it exhibit, glorify, or encourage the fruit of the Spirit, which is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control?

3. Does it pass the 1 Corinthians 8 test?

Even if it's something God grants us the liberty to enjoy or engage in, would our doing it cause a weaker brother or sister in Christ to sin or to stumble in their walk with Christ?

4. Is it an idol to you?

If it's something that failed the three tests above, would you give it up? If so, then what would your attitude be about giving it up? Would you be glad to give it up, knowing it doesn't glorify God, isn't conducive to growth in Christ, and could cause a weaker brother or sister in Christ to sin or stumble in their walk with Christ?

Or would you give it up grudgingly or not give it up at all? If so, then it's an idol.

5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't count on that. As much as CCM fans insist otherwise, CCM is actually very limited.

Back in the mid 80s-early-90s, when I wasn't repulsed by CCM, Christian bookstores would have comparison charts to tell you, "If you like this secular artist, you'll love this Christian artist!" An, invariably, the Christian artist would sound nothing at all like the secular artist they were being compared to.

The only one that even came close was a group called X-Sinner, which was touted as the "Christian version of AC/DC".

I doubt very seriously you'll ever find Christian Cajun or zydeco, anymore than I'll ever find Christian alt.country or Christian Texas singer-songwriters like Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, Jerry Jeff Walker, Lyle Lovett, etc, or Christian trop-rock.

The good news for you, though, is that, within the New Orleans R&B scene, there is a gospel element, with Irma Thomas and others doing a lot of Gospel music in that vein.