1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A New Earth, Just What Oprah Wants...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Mar 4, 2008.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Maybe some of you watch the Oprah show from time to time. Well, thousands have signed up to go through Eckhart Tolle A New Earth with Oprah.

Well, I was at a bookstore and decided to read the introduction of the book. Here are my initial impressions:

1. Oprah is once again proving how New Age she is. It was Oprah who said after 911 to pray to God, whether this god is a she, he or an it.

2. Tolle says that the New heavens and the New earth are simply metaphoric of a better conscious existence to be realized now.

3. He decries Christianity's exclusive claim to true spirituality.

4. Tolle is clearly a new ager and Oprah is loving this New Ageism, because it is right down her alley.

And the sad thing is, many are buying into this New Age junk.

p.s. btw, Oprah and her followers started the first lesson yesterday.

2. queenbee

queenbee Member

QUOTE=TCGreek] Maybe some of you watch the Oprah show from time to time. Well, thousands have signed up to go through Eckhart Tolle A New Earth with Oprah.

1. Oprah is once again proving how New Age she is. It was Oprah who said after 911 to pray to God, whether this god is a she, he or an it.

2. Tolle says that the New heavens and the New earth are simply metaphoric of a better conscious existence to be realized now.

3. He decries Christianity's exclusive claim to true spirituality.

4. Tolle is clearly a new ager and Oprah is loving this New Ageism, because it is right down her alley.

And the sad thing is, many are buying into this New Age junk. [/QUOTE]

I happened onto another website which in turn linked me up to – GodTube. I caught a clip of O and her partner 'Tolle' leading the believers in 'worship'. There was also a short clip of 2 women shown in the audience trying to present the 'real' truth of Jesus and of course, being shot down. What was really disturbing though were some of the questions asked of O from 'Christians' who wanted to be enlightened so as to 'add’ to their faith.

For some months now, I have been losing interest in watching my occasional dose of O. Thank God, in hindsight, that He has been leading me away (& protecting me) from this junk and now I know why.

http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=c9824ced79a5060e7918&page=1&viewtype=&category=mvd

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

There sure seems to be quite the Oprah obsession with some on this board.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Oprah is one of the false prophets spoken of in Revelation, plain and simple.

5. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is pretty well documented that Oprah is New Age and recommends many New Age books. Is there something different about this one?

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

So, let's see...

Genesis is about Adam & Eve
    Exodus is about Moses
    The gospels are about the life of Christ
    Revelation is about Oprah!

Got it! :laugh:

7. queenbee

queenbee Member

No - except that I've never seen this much intensity before and that's what I find alarming.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks like searching for bugbears is a hobby for some of my fellow Christians. :)

I don't recall ever watching an Oprah TV show. So whatever she promotes for reading material doesn't arouse my interest in the least.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Revelation is about quite a bit...false prophets being one of them. Oprah is false prophet. If you don't believe that, either you don't know Oprah Winfrey or you don't know what salvation entails.

10. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oprah has been explicitly teaching New Age theology for more than a decade. The whole "Remembering Your Spirit" was heavily rooting in New Age teaching.

I'm not an Oprah hater or am I terribly disappointed in her. Why should I expect someone who is not likely a Christian to present a true witness of Jesus?

This is a good opportunity for anyone who knows an "Oprahite" to have discussions about the teachings of the Jesus of the Bible (and our present reality), in context, and how that differs from what Oprah is presenting.

11. queenbee

queenbee Member

Good point.

12. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

Good for you. It blesses me to hear that.

We put ourselves in a dangerous place when we get emotionally attached to something other than our Lord, whether it's Oprah or the Rapture. Becoming emotionally attached to a doctrine that is not perfectly layed out in scripture can lead to some bad theology, but it's not life threatening.

For example, I could care less whether or not there is a rapture ... all I care about is what God has sovereignly determined and that's what I want and eagerly anticipate. Now I happen to suspect strongly that there is a rapture in our future before the Second Coming (though I suspect the timeline and order of events is much different than what classic dispensationalists teach). But it doesn't really matter to me what the order of events turn out to be or whether there is rapture at all. I trust you see the emotional detachment there.

But becoming emotionally attached to a person, like Oprah, can lead one into the hands of a false god, who only intends to destroy you. You can be a very good example to others, especially those who watch Oprah, and I pray God will use you to open the eyes of many.

It's an easy thing, now, to see the seductive and antichrist spirit of deceived people like Oprah, Rick Warren, and others, now that they have removed enough sheepskin to expose themselves. But before they adequately exposed themselves they devoured many, tragically, as it wasn't so easy a thing to see 5 -10 years ago, when they were more cloaked. There are many others out there, of course, but few are as prominent.

That's why rightfully dividing and knowing the scriptures and the discernment that comes along with it are so important to every Christian in these days. The Lord warned us about these people, as someone else said.

Godspeed.

:praying:

13. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I don't waste my time watching her.