1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A note on Matthew 27:9-10

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 37818, Jun 6, 2020.

1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 27:9-10, ". . . Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value; And gave them for the potter's field, as the Lord appointed me."

That quote from Jeremiah cannot be currently found in the book of Jeremiah, Dr Pickering in his note cites Daniel 9:2 that regarding books of Jeremiah. That copy cited now lost.

Many suppose the quote is Zechariah's, and Jeremiah is the scroll that Zechariah is found.
    Zechariah 11:12-13, ". . . And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver. And the LORD said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prised at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the LORD."

What is not noted is Zechariah cites other prophets, Zechariah 7:7, "Should ye not hear the words which the LORD hath cried by the former prophets, when Jerusalem was inhabited and in prosperity, and the cities thereof round about her, when men inhabited the south and the plain?"

Zechariah 1:4, "Be ye not as your fathers, unto whom the former prophets have cried, saying, Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Turn ye now from your evil ways, and from your evil doings: but they did not hear, nor hearken unto me, saith the LORD."

Jeremiah 18:11, "Now therefore go to, speak to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, saying, Thus saith the LORD; Behold, I frame evil against you, and devise a device against you: return ye now every one from his evil way, and make your ways and your doings good."

What Jeremiah wrote is known to have been edited. The Hebrew and Greek editions are currently in evidence of this damage. And Matthew 27:9-10.

#1 37818, Jun 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1