1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Personal Poll

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Michael Wrenn, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

This is mostly in fun; since I have such strong belief in the Baptist distinctives, I don't know if I could be happy anywhere else, but I want to know what you all think, so here goes:

Some here have suggested that I am not raelly Baptist (heck, some think not even Christian!), so here's my question: Should I try to remain Baptist, or should I become Methodist or something else, based on my personal beliefs that I've written about?

Well, here's your chance to tell me where to go ;), so have at it! :D

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aw, Michael, this is way to easy! You are a christian brother who holds to some different [read: "wrong"] interpretations of Scripture than I do. So would should you do?

REPENT and become a "Fundamental" Baptist like me! :rolleyes:

Or if you get your heart and mind TOTALLY RIGHT WITH GOD, you could be called a "Reformed" Baptist! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Seriously, I probably jab at you more than most, "questioning" whether someone who believes like you can be REALLY saved! [​IMG]

But I still believe "soul liberty" is in the Book, so if you just want to be a "Baptist" I think you would fit just fine! And I am proud to call you my [wayward] brother! :D

3. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Michael

Pardon the typing, mangled my hand this morning, :(

Separate Baptist or Quaker.

Course, you know you are always welcome in my house no matter where you go. The road is sometimes bumpy, but where ever it takes you, I wish you well.

Course you could always start your own version of Baptist. I had a great-granduncle who did it. [​IMG]

4. ellis

ellis New Member

Michael, from what I have read, you'd fit right into my home church just fine, and we can trace our Baptist roots back through mother, grandmother and greatgrandmother churches right back to FBC Providence.

If you become Methodist, you'll have to accept a creed. And even though these days it seems that there are some Baptists who want to do that, the rest of us Baptists will excuse them. It's their perogative, but it won't be mine.

I think the great thing about the Baptist expression of Christianity is its freedom, and the variety of different churches, and the diversity within congregations. We're the true "non-denominational" tradition, without any real baggage. Its the only Christian group I know of where you are the one who decides that you are Baptist and it doesn't matter whether anyone else thinks you are because you have the independent authority to make that choice for yourself.

It's a good name in spite of those who, by their insistence on "taking a stand" over preaching grace, or insist on a specific interpretation rather than considering something beyond their own cultural box, give us a bad name.

5. DocCas

DocCas New Member

Michael, you are not a Baptist. In fact, there are only 2 baptists on this entire board, and lately I have begun to have doubts about the other guy! :D

6. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I see it, you have two main choices: 1) choose a church that you think best fits what you believe; or 2) choose a church that you think best seeks to be what God wants. The first is the option many choose, but unless you start your own church, you never find one that believes just what you do!

7. rhoneycutt

rhoneycutt New Member

Michael,
    Your welcome at my Baptist Church. Keep on promoting freedom and you will be fine!
    Russell

8. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

MW, I'm in about the same boat you are, but I'm more conservative than you and the churches in my area. So I'm attending a church that comes the nearest to teaching and abiding by Bible doctrine of the churches around here.
    I don't try to be a trouble maker in the church, I go along with them and support them. I know that they are christians but not quite what I'm used to, but not far off from what I believe. It has been a blessing for me in this church even though it is the most liberal church I have ever been a member of. But from your point of view, you would think the church is to conservative, if I'm reading you right.

9. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I appreciate all the responses I've gotten so far.

Bob,

Thanks--I think. ;) :D

Jeff,

You may be right; unfortunately, there are no Separate Baptists or Quakers near me. Thanks for your welcoming and supportive words. I don't believe I could start my own church; I'm no organizer.

Ellis,

Thanks, my friend; I agree with all you said.

Thomas,

So, "soul liberty" in your case equals "sole Baptist"? :D

RL,

I recognize the truth in what you're saying! [​IMG]

Russell,

Thanks, brother!

Bob,

If you would tell me some of the church's beliefs, I could tell you whether I think they're more conservative than I am. I seem to confound people on whatever board I post on; I have views all across the spectrum.

10. Daniel Davidson

Daniel Davidson New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Bob Griffin:
    Aw, Michael, this is way to easy! You are a christian brother who holds to some different [read: "wrong"] interpretations of Scripture than I do. So would should you do?

REPENT and become a "Fundamental" Baptist like me! :rolleyes:

Or if you get your heart and mind TOTALLY RIGHT WITH GOD, you could be called a "Reformed" Baptist! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Seriously, I probably jab at you more than most, "questioning" whether someone who believes like you can be REALLY saved! [​IMG]

But I still believe "soul liberty" is in the Book, so if you just want to be a "Baptist" I think you would fit just fine! And I am proud to call you my [wayward] brother! :D
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Michael, he's just joking, sort of. Fundamental, reformed Baptists definitely believe in soul liberty. In other words, you are free to believe anything they think you ought to believe. And questioning whether you're really saved is no joke with them, even if they laugh and chuckle. In their minds, you're not saved and they're laughing about it.

11. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Yeah, sometimes I don't know how to take Bob, but at least he's got a sense of humor, and I don't get the feeling that he hates me the way a few here seem to.

12. Joey M

Joey M New Member

Mike, I welcome you to come to our church anytime you are near Newton, NC. We will chain you to the pew and not let you up until we brain wash you just like they did me. :D :D :D :D

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Wrenn:
    Yeah, sometimes I don't know how to take Bob, but at least he's got a sense of humor, and I don't get the feeling that he hates me the way a few here seem to.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>When I am hitting a Bible principle, you can bet I'm in earnest. When I tell you to "get your heart right" on calvinism or such, I expect you to dish it right back to me.

But I have to admit you confuse me. My whole frame of reference is fundamentalism and evangelicalism. You and your pard Joshua seem to think you are "middle of the road".

Maybe within the entire spectrum of professed christianity you would be in the middle (or even slightly to the right). But among Baptists? Brother, I've been in many types of Baptist churches and never heard the doctrinal views often expressed by you or Joshua.

And mark one thing down. Many ifb'ers of the hyles ilk will say "you need to get saved" and really mean that they think you can't believe what you do and be a christian. I will never question a person's salvation based on his variant sense of doctrine.

(And I trust some will not judge me unworthy of eternal life because I'm a pre-tribber, or a calvinist).

14. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

MW, I believe in the full diety and humanity of Jesus Christ,Christ's vicarious work of atonement for fogiveness of sin,The trinty within the nature of the one true God there are 3 eternally distinct persons; namely, the Father,Son and the Holy Spirit, Christ's bodily resurrection from the dead, Salvation by grace alone through faith alone and the Bible couuld be said to be the mind of Christ on earth for us just to name a few.
    Using pastors you might know I'm very close to a W.A.Criswell, R.G. Lee or Adrian Rogers of SBC churchs even thoough I'm not a SBC baptist, I'm an Independant Baptist.

[ October 27, 2001: Message edited by: Bob Alkire ]

15. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Bob Alkire,

You may be surprised when I tell you that I agree with all those doctrines you listed--but not at all with the preachers you listed. ;)

Bob Griffin,

Actually, I would consider Joshua to be to the left of me, but I won't put a label on him for that; I'll leave it to him to define himself. Having been the target of false labelling from others, I'm become very careful and sensitive about not doing the same thing myself.

16. NeilUnreal

NeilUnreal New Member

For me the issue is one of "design vs. implementation." I am a firm believer in individual priesthood and I believe congregational autonomy is important. On the other hand -- dare I confess this to fellow Baptists? -- I really like a high Church service, complete with vestments and liturgy. Maybe I should move to a town without a Baptist congregation and found a Baptist cathederal... :rolleyes:

17. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Neil,

There ARE some liturgical Baptist churches around, but they're probably hard to find. First Baptist Church in Memphis, TN is one.

I like some liturgy.

18. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Michael,

It's not that I don't like you. I just don't like anything you say! :eek: But I bet if we met and got to know each other, I'd like you . . . and eventually you'd see things my way! :D

19. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

20. Chick Daniels

Chick Daniels Member

Michael,

I would tend to agree with Thomas Cassidy's comment, however, I am probably not the "other Baptist" on the board that he has in mind! :D

Best wishes,

Chick

[ October 29, 2001: Message edited by: Chick Daniels ]