1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Personal Poll

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Michael Wrenn, Oct 25, 2001.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Wrenn:
    Tom,

Thanks. But read my thread "Prayers for the Dead" on *All Other Discusions* and tell me if you still think I'm Baptist. ;)

Yes, I think there are a couple of people--maybe more--here who hate me.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just read your posts. You're right. I take it back. You're not a Baptist. :D :eek:

2. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Dear Michael

I have followed this thread with curisoity because I consider you a friend, and wish you nothing but the best. And I mean that with all sincerity, so please don't take offense at the following questions. I asked myself these same questions once upon a time, and went on a journey.

1. Would you elaborate on your journey thus far?
    2. Have you visited other denominations, (I assume you have), and if so, what are they and what are your impressions of them?
    3. I perceive that you are unhappy in the church relationship you currently have. Why?
    4. What is the nature of your secular education? What is the nature of your religious education?

I think that everyone should ask themselves at least some of these questions from time to time. I am just trying to understand your journey. If you'd care to, feel free to reply privately, or not at all if you feel I am being too nosey.

Warm regards
    Jeff

3. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Jeff,

I'd be glad to, but first I think I'm going to start another thread, this time with somewhat more serious intent, to see what people here would classify me as--denominationally speaking, that is. ;) Tom's and your post, and some others, have prompted me to do this.

I'll get back to you shortly on this.

4. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Jeff,

I grew up and was baptized in a very conservative, even fundamentalist, Southern Baptist church. At about age twenty, I began to question and examine the things I had been taught and to explore other belief systems. I was attracted to Quakerism and even considered myself a Quaker for about ten years, although I never formally joined--one reason being that there were no Quaker churches or meetings near me. Actually, I disengaged myself from organized religion for quite some time and stopped going to church. When I started back, after a certain traumatic event, I didn't really know where to go. I visited Baptist, Quaker (Memphis, TN had a meeting by then), charismatic, Presbyterian, Methodist, Nazarene, and Episcopal churches. I really liked Episcopal worship, and I attended there for several years, not always regularly; I developed a close friendship with an Episcoapl priest who wrote songs, played the guitar,a nd sang, as I did. But he eventually moved on, and so did I. I had a difficult time with the strong sacramentalism, especially in regard to baptism, that the Episcopal Church espoused. I then looked seriously at the United Methodist Church; I liked some things about it a lot, but other things not so much--the polity, for instance. And I found later, to my amazement, that they were starting to emphasize sacramentalism more and more--at the expense of evangelicalism, in my opinion.

So, I came back to the beginning--full circle, so to speak, and returned to the Baptists, although I had acquired some beliefs along the way that had been strongly influenced by my contact with other traditions, especially the Quakers and, somewhat, the Anglicans and Methodists.

I think the reason I'm not happy is that I don't really know where I fit in; I feel like my views are mostly Baptist, but then I have these other views that may not be Baptist, and I don't know what the answer is to my situation--my predicament.

I have a college education which included a minor in religion/theology and philosophy. And I've privately studied theology and church history for more than twenty-five years--it's been my passion.

Got to run for now...

5. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Dear Michael

Thanks, it helps tremendously. I think I understand you better now.

Jeff.

6. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Jeff,

Now that you understand me, how about reading my new thread and voting for what you think I am--Baptist, Quaker, Episcopalian, Methodist, or, in the words of Barney Fife, a nut. :D

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've read it and opt for a cross between a cashew and a dilbert. Er, filbert. [​IMG]