1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A pit bull/German short-haired pointer?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Alcott, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone know much about such a dog? I need to make a decision probably this week if I am going to take one of the 14 puppies my niece and her husband are giving away. I have reservations because my small research indicates a dog like that needs a lot of exercise, or else it will 'create' its own, and I, being handicapped, cannot 'run it' around as it may really need. And it would grow to 60 - 75 pounds, possibly making it hard for me to handle-- considering which, I am also a bit concerned about liability.

On the other hand, a dog may be what I need to help get past my frustrations which have resulted in too much inactivity and apathy for me. I would certainly do my best with the dog, and would surely get more exercise myself, walking it and training it. As for my history as a dog owner-- I haven't had one since I was a teenager 40+ years ago, when a German Shepherd/Collie mix, which appeared abused, showed up and I became his world. I would ride my motorcycle out in the field and he would drive himself to exhaustion trying to keep up with me. But this new dog would have to settle for less wide open space.

Here is a picture of one; they all look mostly alike, more resembling the GSHP than the pit bull.
    [​IMG]

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My daughter has two dogs
    • a lab-pointer mix (Pointador?)
    • a rottweiler lab mix (rotten lab)
    Pointers tend to run and hers does.

Rob

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a good looking dog.

Figure on 2 joyful years (at least) of energetic puppyhood, i.e. chewing, ripping, shredding, digging, and other such destructive behaviors.

An older rescue from the pound might suit you better.

We took on 2 Anatolian Shepherd puppies last Spring. They've ripped to shreds every ... ah, too much to go into, so far the Roku remote has been the most painful...

4. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice dog but I tend to agree with the idea of getting an older dog. I'm frustrated now because I have my 3rd golden retriever and can't run with them as I did with my first two. My avatar is a picture of my second golden, Jessie. She died in Feb of 2016 and I got Ellie in May of 2017. I'm even having trouble taking long walks but will do my best for my sake and hers to start doing that again. The breeder called her an "alpha female." Ellie Oct 26 2017 with Old Buddy-4.jpg

She's going to be another great golden but is very active right now (10 months) and needs firm handling. I got my first dog at 2 1/2 yrs. old after she had 2 litters of puppies. She was absolutely perfect but came from a great background (had lived with the breeder in her house).