1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A POSITIVE Emerging Illustration

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by dan e., Sep 7, 2007.

1. dan e.

dan e. New Member

2. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

That's a sad statement, that clearning barbershops and washing dogs is seen in 21st century Christianity as 'living out the Good News.'

3. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I would suggest investigating a little more about the church before making a criticism like that......:thumbsup:

4. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I know this is an emotionally charge word, but the single word that comes to mind in this article is: disgusting.

Here are a few reasons why I had this reaction:

Now that is disgusting because the predominant impression ought to be that they "...went every where preaching the word."

There's a disgusting display of ecumenism.

Just disgusting. It's all I can say.

This woman doesn't even know what's happening.

5. dan e.

dan e. New Member

keep 'em comin'!!:applause:

6. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I'm disappointed! That's all?!!

#6 dan e., Sep 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2007
  7. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Sorry Dan, Reformed Baptist and Christian Youth are right. This church is only concerned with numbers and what they will get in return for their "works." I use that word loosely.

I'm afraid their motives are tainted.

8. ReformedBaptist

I think dan was hoping for more people to chime in with their rebukes.

9. dan e.

dan e. New Member

HOLY COW! Are you guys actually basing these assumptions off of the article? Do you know anything about the church aside from the coverage of this local paper??

10. Cutter

Cutter New Member

I took his disappointed statement to mean that he was disappointed posters didn't agree with his OP assertion that, "here is a great example of a church that would be classified emerging (not emergent) living out the Good News."

But if you are correct, I am happy to oblige! :D

11. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Your comments are pretty harsh for a very limited understanding of this church. My intent was to show a church that is considered emerging (based on style, methods), but is not caught up in the mess that most people think of with an emerging church. It is a church that is actually serving the community around it, with the actual message of the gospel. That article is an example of that. If you doubt the article, check out the church's website: www.sojournchurch.com.

12. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Uh...Yea!

I think Reformed Baptist did a fine job of pointing out their true motives in the article and showing how watered down their message is.

Duh!

13. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Ummm...yeah you are basing your assumptions off of 1 article, or yeah you know more about the church aside from the article?

14. ReformedBaptist

The one article is what was presented for discussion on this thread. Based on it, there is much lacking in that church's engagment with their community. My impression from it is that they are engaging in a watered down social gospel.

15. ReformedBaptist

I had the misunderstanding on this, you were correct.

16. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Well then, according to your own standards the appropriate response would be that you don't know much based on the article, not that you think it is "disgusting". Would it not?

17. ReformedBaptist

No. Based on the actions and even the message the pastor preaching, it is disgusting. The testimony of the Apostolic church was that they were turning the world upside down with their doctrine. This community, apparantly, can't figure out what they are doing except a few handyman jobs.

18. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Not assumptions, Dan E, fact. Are you saying the article is made up or untrue? It comes from a reputable paper and the head of the church speaks as well as others comment on the church. In light of the true gospel and our mission to preach the Word it appears that instead of being peculiar and standing out because of your faith, the church is standing out because of their desire to fill their pews. Nothing wrong with good works, nothing wrong with filling pews and building up the kingdom of God, but let's do it without compromising the gospel or winning souls by our own works. It would be interesting to see how many in this church would continue to come if there wasn't the payoff of community rehabilitation. Reminds me of the group in,
    John 6:26 Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.
    :27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

19. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Hmmm....I think the phrase "it appears" would not make your thoughts fact, but assumptions.

Which is it....fact, or assumption? You said fact....but now you are saying what you think is based off of appearances, not facts. Can you please clarify, or maybe just save yourself the trouble and check out the church's website and educate yourself on the church a little more.

I was just simply trying to show a church that has nothing to do with the negative things of some emerging churches; but is seriously impacting the area for the kingdom of God.

#19 dan e., Sep 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2007
  20. Cutter

Cutter New Member

The fact of the matter is that this is a church engaged in fleshly activities to serve a secular, socially acceptable god. I did visit the website, I read some things about the church and I listened to the audio.

It only helped to elevate my suspicions from assumptions to truth.