1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A prayer-related question

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Speedpass, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there any Scriptural basis for other people in a group to say "Amen" once the pray-er finishes the prayer with "Amen."? This is something i've wondered about for many years. Some places where this happens, I hear alot of "Amens", but other places I hear total silence.

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Psalm 106.48 says:
    Blessed be the LORD God of Israel From everlasting to everlasting! And let all the people say, "Amen!" Praise the LORD!
    I expect you know that "Amen" means "So be it". So saying that word at the end of a prayer spoken by someone else is expressing your agreement with the prayer.

Of course as far as God is concerned, the heart is what is important, so it could be that in the churches where you heard "total silence", the other people were agreeing in their hearts with the person who has prayed aloud.