1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Proposition: True Or False ?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, May 26, 2008.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

False!

"Wait a minute!

Hold the phone!"

What was the question, since I haven't read the thread, but was just answering the title? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

2. skypair

skypair Active Member

I'm gonna say he was a Democrat! He's just from the "liberal wing" of Christianity! The one that says we ought to take a allegorical view of scripture and that God should have "given" salvation to everyone.

Then I will go down to his "mansion" of "wood, hay, and stubble" and watch as the "big bad wolf" has blows all that he has "built." Then I will let him come live with me, my tame, housebroken "potbelly pig." :laugh:

No, sorry. I got carried away. I will welcome him into my prayer group praying for the tribulation lost that we both pray will come to Jesus.

skypair

#22 skypair, May 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2008
  3. PK

PK New Member

I did not post this with the intent of hurting some ones feelings, however I will not take it back. I just don't understand why a Calvinist would ask this question? I have never, nor will ever, say anything bad about my Calvinist friends on the BB or here at home. We just strongly disagree....

"Failure to believe that Christ died in particular for one's self is the ( or "a"cause )for a sinner's condemnation."

Your only going to believe if your ordained, chosen, elected, predestinated, and for-known right? So isn't that the underlying requirement?

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, a couple other things are in there too, such as being given faith and repentance and drawn etc. However, you've got the essence down. Actually chosen,elected and predestined are pretty much the same. Foreknown is foreloved. The Lord has set His love on the ones of His choosing. He has decreed it.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think if you repeat lies scores of times some will believe you?

Calvin could in no way be considered a theological liberal.I have set you straight several times about the allegorical method as it pertains to John Calvin( the last time was just about 10 days or so). He deplored that view of Scroipture. John Calvin was a true exegete.And he certainly would not have insisted "that God should have given salvation to everyone." God is a debtor to no one. He owes no one salvation. How you can claim this was Calvin's view is beyond belief.

You better be careful how you are laying your own foundation SP. You might live in a thatched hut. From the kind of posts you have made over the last 2 and a half years that I have been here you speak of many empty, trifling and useless things. You have not spoken honestly or respectfully of the grace of God. The Day will show how well or poorly you have built your house.

No wonder your wings have been clipped. You are no longer air-worthy to air your errant opinions.

6. PK

PK New Member

Yes but your still not answering my question brother...

7. skypair

skypair Active Member

Actually, in those days the "conservatives" were CATHOLIC. So yes, he was "liberal." But my description also captures the notion of new ideas that may not all be good ideas.

It would be quite curious if you were right. How then, do his followers come by allegorizing the church as Israel? How do they allegorize Revelation to support amil?

skypair

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

9. PK

PK New Member

Rip: He was not liberal according to the Bible.That's the only thing that counts.His "new ideas" were old in reality -- they came from the B-I-B-L-E.
    RIP:Calvinists come in all shapes, sizes, and personalities etc.They hold a variety of Millennial views. Their views on escatology are diverse. It's not so monolithic.In the realm of soteriology we are closer together. But even here there remain some nuanced differences.

PK:Yeah SP remember, their Biblical, their all over the place in their Doctrine....

#29 PK, May 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2008
  10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rip: So I suppose that all non-Cals are uniform when it comes to escatology? They have it pieced together correctly?

(BTW,you said "Yeah SP remember,their Biblical,their all over the place in their Doctrine..."
    You meant :Yeah, SP. They're supposed to be biblical, but instead they're all over the place doctrinally."Just some language helps for you PK.)

11. Allan

Allan Active Member

Boy don't I wish! Then everyone would finally agree with me :thumbs: :saint: :laugh:

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Blast From The Past

What do you think?

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ponder the above.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More From Packer's Book

Well, do you agree,or disagree? Why or why not?

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I certainly agree. Only one whom the Lord has saved can say "Jesus died for me."

And so far I have yet to find a scriptural example of someone saying to a lost person, "Jesus loves you" or "Jesus died for you."

16. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

love

Jesus only came to save the elect. Those who trust in Him. The meek and the humble. God doesn't need to look down time to know who they are. He has the finished work of the tree of life. Those who he cut out for unbelief. Those who He included when they heard the Gospel of their salvation having believed and those who He crafted back in that did not continue in their unbelief .

17. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Skypair—just out of curiosity—how come it says your “banned”? And if your band how come you can still post? Not trying 2 be rude—but I’m fairly new & have never seen someone identified as “banned”--& I see 2 in this thread.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The post you are quoting was from May 2008.

19. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Awww—now it makes sense--Thank you dear sister---that pretty much answers my question--:thumbsup:

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Years ago I bought a book which has some sermons of Rolfe Barnard (1904-1969). His words in this quote are not original. Spurgeon and others before him have said the same things in essence.

From R.F.'s message :Why We Preach The Gospel And Particular Redemption.

"Now will you follow me? The knowledge of being the object of God's eternal love,and the knowledge of being the object of Christ's redeeming death;this knowledge belongs to the assurance of one who has already believed. This knowledge that Christ died for me,that God loves me individually is to be inferred from the fact that one has believed. and it is not to be proposed as a reason why one should believe. These things are just not true. No man can know that God loves him until after he has believed. ( p.149. BTW,the words emboldened were in the original.)