1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A question about Calvinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by stilllearning, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

He did open my eyes...that is why I left that doctrine.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is the problem with man's theology wrapped up nicely.

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

What is your take on this verse, Rip???

Titus 2: 11, "For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men."

Who has the grace of God appeared to?? To some men or to all men??

4. historyb

historyb New Member

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think the Lord opens the eyes of some who embrace the doctrine(s) of grace and opens the eyes of others that the doctrines of grace are not true?!! That is completely nonsensical. And your pastor would agree with me.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you want to maintain that God gives faith and grace to everyone?! You have plunged into foolishness.WD, the Lord only confers grace and faith to His own people. Are you a Universalist?

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His grace has appeared (or has been displayed)to all categories of people.

In the original verse 11-14 were one unit. I'll quote from the MLB:

"For the saving grace of God has appeared to all people,training them to renounce godlessness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in this present world, with expectation of that blessed hope, even the glorious appearance of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ,who gave Himself for us to redeem us from all iniquity, and to purify for Himself a people all His own who are eager to do good works."

To whom is Paul addressing? "Us". "Training us". "Who gave Himself for us to redeem us."

"...our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, to redeem us ... to purify for Himself a people all His own."

There is a very clear delimitation here -- it is only for His own that He died.

And I would hope that you would acknowledge that millions since the time of Christ have never heard a mention of the Gospel of Christ. The Lord did not appear to them.He has not revealed Himself to multiplied millions.Don't try to go to the early chapters of Romans.The Gospel is not in view there.

8. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

The Word of God plainly contradicts what you say:

Rom 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

9. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

And you are one who speaks of nonsense! This is like a Jehovah's Witness explaining the passage on hell in Luke 16. Complete idiocy!

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The more astute non-Cals here would tell you to study the Bible more Robert. This section is specifically aimed at believers.

In verse 1 : "Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters..."

Verse 2 : " Don't conform to the pattern of this world..."

Verse 3 : "For by the grace given me I say to every one of you..." Who is being referenced by the pronoun "you"? That's right, believers.

You might just as well think that God has granted every single person a measure of grease as that He has given each and every one a grace. (A variation of something Charles H. Spurgeon has said)

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Why not? You yourself called someone a heretic in another thread for the subject of God and evil, even when you were clearly wrong on the matter. You had no right to call him that even if you were right.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I believe very strongly in the doctrines of grace and sovreignty. However, the way you express yourself on the subject and the way you relate it to Scripture makes a case for the other side. Why not read the Bible before you post?

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said that his view is heretical. If anyone else wishes to join the blasphemous club which calls the Lord the author of evil I will loudly denounce them.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not read my posts already on the subject which you have conveniently ignored. Check the Scripture that I have cited.

15. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Joh 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

1Jo 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, (law/death for sin) which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Mr 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; (Grace) but he that believeth not shall be damned. (no Grace)

Ro 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; (grace)

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it (grace) is the gift of God:

Piper first mistake was in believing Jesus too away sin, he didn't, he took away the law that required a "death for sin",

he paid the "wages of sin" for the sins of the whole world that the whole world "MIGHT BE" saved "IF" they "BELIEVED" in him.

Salvation is God's "Grace" but you don't receive Grace until you "Believe" or have "FAITH" in Jesus,

and that is a "PERSONAL CHOICE" of each individual.

Man's "depravity" isn't such we can't know good/evil, people who don't have the law, do by nature the things contained in the law,

Paul said with his mind he served the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

God gave the law so we would know good/evil, and be accountable for the choice we make between them.

Faith is not a "gift from God", because faith can be had without works, with is "dead".

Jesus said I am the vine, you are the branches, without me you can do nothing,

Faith that leads to "Grace" is confirmed by the works which are done by the spirit within.

And probable the most important question calvinist can never ask, :eek:

"WHAT IS THE REASON"??

God expect man to have faith/believe before he will save man??? :confused:

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Scripture is my guide not your rationalistic thinking. Rationalistic thinking has won a lot of people to error and false teachers. So instead of pointless rationalistic thinking why not give some substance so that all of us can be edified and understand scripture better. If I am wrong I am waiting to be corrected. Is that not fair enough? I would hope that you would give me the same respect. If you would take a look at a Hebrew concordance and observe every situation where that Hebrew word is used, I believe that you will see you are far off the mark of what scripture teaches in its totality. If you will also take a look at the LXX, TDOT, TDNT, TWOT then you will something far different than you suggest and see that what you claim is only one part of God and not the full picture of who God is. How you are interpreting makes it clear that you are only looking at scripture form a Greek mindset and not the Jewish mindset of the historical context. You have forgotten to address who those verses were written to. They were not written to the Greeks but rather the Jews who had a very different view of God than you do who thinks in light of a Greek mindset.

17. historyb

historyb New Member

All those verses were written to believers, it is wrong to assume they mean the world as in the whole world when they do not. Christ died only for His own and none other. Man is total depraved and has no good in him on his own. God regenerates man unto Salvation, man can never choose

18. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

If man is totally depraved and God only saves the "elect", then the law is as "totally useless" as man's total depravity.

Jesus is the "light of the world", the whole world, do you know what that means???

Mt 4:16 The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up.

Joh 1:9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Joh 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. (refuse to confess sin)

21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Your totally depravity theory denies that man has the ability to know "good/evil", Light from darkness, or the ability to come or refuse to come to the light,

Based on their choice to believe/confess sin or refuse to believe/confess.

19. historyb

historyb New Member

Man in his natural state does not have the ability to know good/evil. Man is born dead in his trespasses and has no desire to come out, nor can man freely choose. When God comes in and regenerates man, man can see his sad state and then is able to embrace God. There is no good in natural man, there is common grace that allows a man to do perceived good but they never do it with right motives I will paste this and hopefully you'll better understand:

#79 historyb, May 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2009
  20. historyb

historyb New Member

Source here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.