1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A question about Calvinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by stilllearning, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Let's try to break the plan of salvation down into "Steps".

1. God loved the whole world, Jesus died for the sins of the whole world that the whole world "MIGHT BE" saved, because God wasn't willing for '"ANY" to perish.

Jesus death took away the "Law" that required everyone to die for the sin they committed,

but it did not take away anyone's sin, as is obvious that his death only made it possible that they "MIGHT BE" saved, not would be saved.

There's something "missing" that God/Jesus did not provide to complete the plan of salvation.

2. A "Personal Faith/Belief" in Jesus is the "missing" component that will "COMBINE" with the work of Jesus to produce,

3. the "GRACE OF GOD". (saved)

Jesus's death was sufficient to save the "whole world", in accordance with God's will none perish,

but many do perish, proving "God's Sovereign will" is not involved/enforced.

I'll have to cut this post short, I'm experiencing a storm./lightning.

Later.

2. historyb

historyb New Member

Your going to have to show where Christ died for the whole world.

26but you do not believe because you are not part of my flock. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.

john 10:26-28

9 And they sang a new song with these words:
    “You are worthy to take the scroll
    and break its seals and open it.
    For you were slaughtered, and your blood has ransomed people for God
    from every tribe and language and people and nation.

Rev 5:9

Now notice what the verse doesn't say, it does not say every men but men from every tribe.

That is not accurate, Christ perfectly fulfilled the law but not one jot or tittle of the law will pass away until Heaven and Earth pass away.

18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not even the smallest detail of God’s law will disappear until its purpose is achieved.

Mat 5:18

Chrisdt death made it possible so that the elect may be saved, those who God chooses. Man will never choose God, he must be called by God.

Nothing is missing, God is sovereign He misses nothing.

Many parish because they are not called to God.God's Sovereign will is always involved, God left nothing to chance.

3. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

#103 Me4Him, May 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2009
  4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

You almost got something correct for a change [by accident I am sure]. If we just reword your above quote somewhat I believe you will have it.

People who reject God, God has passed over, people who accept God, God has elected, regenerated, and given the faith to believe, that's the definition in part of The Doctrines of Grace, what some call Calvinism.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

God has a way of destroying anything that one can take pride in.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I hope you are kidding :eek: There are too many passages to even begin listing...tell you what, you claim He didn't...the burden of proof falls on you.

Let me see if I get this right...the Doctrines of "Grace" claim that man is held accountable for rejecting a God that didn't come to save him. That's "grace"?!? Is it grace to punish my 3 year old for not cleaning the gutters he cannot get to because I won't allow him?

#106 webdog, May 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2009
  7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So, let's say a child is born and does not ever commit sin in his lifetime. He dies at 60 years old. Does he go to heaven because he never committed sin?

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think Romans 3:23 is clear that anyone who can sin, will, and has. If the person was born in a vegetative state and dies at 60 he will most definitely be in Heaven.

9. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

David said he was concieved in sin...your kids and mine are no exception. This question is irrelavant because its not possible.

10. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

Me4Him said, "When God chose Israel, he chose the whole nation, he didn't leave anyone out, but along the way some people rebelled/disobeyed and were REMOVED from among the Chosen."

But God didn't choose the Babylonians did He or other people groups? How does this truth fit into the anti-reformed view? I don't ask this arrogantly but it is a question I have yet to receive a satisfactory answer to.

God chose one nation from many....what happend to the many?

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Original sin?

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Being conceived in sin, and being a sinner are apples to oranges.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Were those nations not allowed to worship the one true God as proselytes?

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No - Im asking, IF a man could live his life sinless, would he go to heaven? Me4Him said "Jesus death took away the "Law" that required everyone to die for the sin they committed, " so I'm asking then is it possible, that if someone never once sinned in his life (hypothetically - go with me on this guys), he'd be able to go to heaven?

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

"It is finished" was a lie?

16. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

So back up and read the whole verse (Psalm 51:5) Then get your strongs out and tell me what you think he means there.

The word shapen can mean to be born or brought forth. David was born or brought forth in iniquity.

This passag is about much more than conception. It is about what was conceived (a sinner).

17. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

How exceptional were these cases though? Before God's vision to Peter and the ministry of Paul how many non Hebrews were being saved?

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus said in Mt. 5:17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill."

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It depends on how exceptional they were. We don't know the minds of others, nor how many proselytes there were amongst the Israelites. Fact is...His "chosen people" consisted of non Israelites, too.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think this can be answered to anyones satisfaction. Faith in Christ is necessary to go to Heaven...so this alone takes away any potential hypothetical.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.