1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A question about God

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Born_in_Crewe, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Darren

Darren New Member

Rev! I'm calling you out on that quote.

That was not talking about God's perspective of time but His patience. Context is 2 Peter 3: 3-18. God's perspective of time isn't even a subject in this passage.

To the subject at hand... wow this is a tuffy.

The quick and simple answer is that God has no begining. However, that doesn't suffice for much.

First understand, however the universe began, by any theory, it was a means we cannot understand.

The athiest have it being an endless cycle with no begining (either that, or the less popular view of something coming from nothing) a view supposedly rooted more in evidence, though it is not possible AT ALL for this to be proven.

The normal Christian will say that God exists in a separate time and space, one in which time is much different and one that has no begining nor end, the rules are simply different.

I see the first as wrong yet reasonable, and the second as possible yet unnecessary. If God can move about time as He pleases, this can produce a seemed paradox, that He can have no begining, yet not have really existed before the begining of the universe.

This is the hardest to explain of the theories because its the simplest, so it naggs at the brain that it should make more sense, but it doesn't.

I'm saying God exists beyond time, yet in time. He exist HERE, in THIS time and space, yet is not bound like us. To a being, whom does not obey the laws of time as we know them, it is, by hypothosis, possible, to simply not have a begining, but not exist before a certain point.

Perplexing no? It's not within human knowledge to understand or prove, but you have to realize, a conclusion beyond human understanding has to be drawn. And then you must choose, which one will you take?

Athiests take the view that the universe has always been and always will be, because it fits their naturalistic view. Traditional Christians, choose to make a whole new existence for God in, I guess, a fourth demension of space, forgive me if I'm saying this wrong, because that is tradition -that and persieved scriptural proof-. Me, I choose to believe God had no begining, yet didn't exist before creation, because He didn't have to, because that is the simplest most down to earth view, dispite it as well, being hard to grasp.

In the end, none of these views, can be proved. They can only be accepted or rejected. Also, the Bible doesn't speak much about God's prespective of time, in context of how He actually views it, just simply that His relation with it is different than ours. He can see the "future", and tell it to those in the "present", for instance.

Course, then also, what's your definition of time?

Athiest view it as open to any possibility, or bound by a natural process.

Traditional Christians view it as fated, predestined all of it, before anyone besides God had any say.

I see it as a series of inevitabilities. What will happen will happen. Sentient beings influence the final outcome, but that outcome, will be, what it will be.

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Very possible.

Possibly.

How so?

Possibly so.

Indeed "sequence" is only possible with "time" otherwise nothing can happen "after" and nothing can happen "before".

too much of an assumption -

We have the hard facts in black and white in Exodus 20:8-11 6 days and then 1 day JUST like our 6 days and 1 day WITHOUT saying "like" rather it is exact equivalence.

Day 1 - single-sided light source to earth - and rotation of planet "evening and morning"
    Day 2 - dry land and atmosphere.
    Day 3 - Green plants -- in one evening and morning.
    Day 4 - our Sun and Moon begin to function.
    Day 5 - birds and sea animals
    Day 6 - land animals and mankind.
    Day 7 - memorial - holy day.

in Christ,

Bob

3. bibleman89

bibleman89 New Member

God just exists. He the creator of all things including time so he is outside of time and has no beginning or end.

Col 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
    Col 1:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

I know it is hard to understand but is is what the Word of God says.

4. Darren

Darren New Member

Bibleman89, calling you out on that to.

Colossians 15-23 is the context of those verses. A creation of time is not mentioned. This is simply a statement of God's Supremicy. I would doubt that it is meant to be taken litterally, if so, since all things subsist from God and for God, therefore their actions as well, God is guilty then of all evil as well as good. To say He allows evil, which clearly He does, is not the same as to say He holds it together. All the terms used are meant to express Soveriengty and are naturally expressive. God is not evil, He has reason for allowing it, but it is not His evil.