1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Question for Calvinists?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Roy1, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Ian Major

Ian Major New Member

Roy1 said
    But the original question of a spiritual aspect to the suffering in hell still intrigues me. I don’t have a full and satisfying answer.

I think the answer is more evident when we realise that the distinction between spirit and soul is not one of essense. They are both descriptions of the personality, the essential 'you'. Another term often used is 'heart'. So we read of someone's spirit being refreshed, their soul revived, their heart gladdened, etc.

But soul is the main term Scripture uses to speak of the person, the moral agent created by God. It is not a lesser part of our personality, something sub-spiritual. It is the person.

The eternal significance is stated in Matt.10:28, And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

It is the soul that cannot be touched by man. The soul is the person who suffers in Hades, even while their body is yet in the earth. In Gehenna, body and soul, the complete person, are reunited . Likewise for the saints, their body lies in the earth while their soul is with Christ, Rev.6:9, When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the testimony which they held. In eternity body and soul are reunited and at home with Him.

Spiritually dead = a soul that is at enmity with God, unable to have fellowship with Him, bound in sin. In Hades, such a soul remains out of fellowship with Him, held under punishment for the Day of Judgement. In eternity, this soul will be reunited with its body and consciously suffer the wrath of God.

In Him

Ian

2. Roy1

Roy1 New Member

Hi Ian,
    The enmity of the soul may help clear things up a little. Is this enmity an unconscious act? I don’t think it is. That enmity will continue in eternity and will no chance of reconciliation, as the condition of that soul is fixed at death.

I think the suffering will be as I have said before as complete as our blessings in Heaven.

All the best,
    Roy.