1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Question for Calvinust here (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by steaver, Dec 26, 2014.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Icon's direct response...reposted my original quote...then gave his direct response to my quote...

No twisting by me, No misrepresentation, there it is clear as a bell, quote for quote...

Icon's answer to my comment about the Holy Spirit failing to teach TULIP to the children of God......."No... and he nicely bolded the "But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep"

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Since you cannot be truthful I will expose your sad case now...

Here is the sequence Steaver...the original statement

#42 Iconoclast, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2014
  3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being a calvinist or not does not save ANY sinner, as that is the work of God do extend His grace and mercies towards those of us who receive Jesus by and thru faith!

And yes, Wesley and Spurgeon are both there right now worshipping the same lord who saved both of them, and BOTH of them now know just how ignorant of the real and full truth BOTH of them were!

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

How bout this here one Steve?

John 20:27, Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

I am curious, "What do you make of that?"

5. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Brother Icon, you have a huge problem hampering your argument. Folks can read your exact comments directed towards my exact comments. I posted them word for word, quote for quote. You stomping your feet and calling me a liar is only a reflection upon your own pride or arrogance, I'm not sure which.

Do you really want to begin with the original comments which has set the precedent for evaluating all of your subsequent post thereafter? Let's lay them out...

12-12-14. The very first comments which has set the precedent for the issue at hand which has been ongoing through three different threads now....

Above are the very first comments, mine and yours, word for word, unedited. You have since confirmed at least three times that you stand by your original comments. Where does that leave all of us to believe about your beliefs concerning the salvation of those who do not embrace TULIP/Calvinism???

If the foundation is faulty, the rest of the building will be faulty. Here is your chance to change your foundation and change this conversation. Do you want to declare your answer towards my original comment is wrong, that you misused John 10? If not, then what else are we all to believe about your beliefs concerning those who do not embrace Calvinism? Let's deal with your original answer to my original comment, and then we can discuss the other issues you raise. Pray about it...

6. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe Jesus confirmed Calvinism to be true when He said then to Thomas....

Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast been given the Holy Spirit you believe: blessed are they that have not seen Me, and yet have been given the Holy Spirit to believe.

7. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

The way you are trying to "solve the problem" exposed for Calvinism -- is more than a little "instructive" for all of us -

Not entirely unexpected.

in Christ,

Bob

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Christian Debate Forums (All Christians)

It may be that some read that as "Baptists only" but I dare say that it is not "all" of us that view it that way.

9. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The default mode of the human heart is self-justification. Even Christians have some degree of this serious problem. The "Doctrines of Grace" don't sit well with folks (including myself, for 20 years) who are, knowingly or unknowingly, resting in something other than Christ's work for their justification. This is at the heart of the matter. This is the answer to your question regarding why people don't embrace Calvinism.

The "cure" for Arminism and Pelagianism (which most people are by default) is the Law of God in all its power and fulness. Knowledge of God (His holiness) and knowledge of self (our vile sinfulness) is what's needed to shake the foundations of self-salvation we (yes. even Christians) have trusted in.

When we stop kidding ourselves about both our condition and God's holiness, then, and only then, will we see that we were utterly incapable of coming to Christ, but that He came and saved us.

He is the only seeker (Luke 19:10). We are hiding (Gen 3:8)

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are you then disagreeing with brother Icon in the OP, that they do not believe because they have not been Divinely Enabled to believe, which he prof text with Matt 13....the unsaved.

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If they do not believe because God failed to do something - then God is the cause of His own "lament" regarding that fact. #1

4 and 5 pt Calvinism cannot escape it, except by avoiding the entire discussion on that point.

in Christ,

Bob

12. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bob,

Calvinists do not believe that people fail to believe because God has failed to do something. Unbelief is the fault of sinful mankind, not God. "And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil." John 3:19

Brian

13. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steve,

I would have to give that more thought to give an answer from scripture, but in my personal experience that's exactly what happened. After years of railing against it, I became convinced of TULIP in a supernatural way. I went from being dead set against it (even to the point of rage) to fully embracing it without effort. Of course, I've spent much time, study and conversation thinking it through after that point, but it was like a switch just flipped one day.

Brian

#53 thatbrian, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Exactly......:thumbs::applause::thumbs::applause:

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    steaver
    Not at all S
    I hope they will, but you like DHK skip all around.Most are not going to skip through 3 threads to see what you are trying to do S.

We both know what you are doing,Don't we;):(;)
    Your failure to respond is what causes a problem. I feel that if you respond in a timely manner it will keep you from falsehoods.
    of course it is my pride and arrogance right steaver...it is not you being juvenile....no ..can't be.

I want to deal direct.....you seem to be quite unable to. I am not going back and unraveling your twisting of what is posted. You want to put your big boy pants on and give it a try??

Here you go;

25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth,
    because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent,

and hast revealed them unto babes.

26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight.

God is here hiding truth from some religious people, and then revealing the truth unto Babe"s.

The wise and prudent...no divine enablement, ie they could not understand it with a God given understanding.

The babes....had Divine enablement.....to grasp the truth savingly. They must have the Holy Spirit opening it to their understanding...

Do you agree or Not?

#55 Iconoclast, Jan 1, 2015
  16. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have a brother who has the same testimony concerning Millennial Exclusion. After years of resisting it from his pastor and all the men his pastor kept telling him to listen to about it, he said the exact same thing "it was like a switch going off". That was about 20 years ago and he cannot be swayed differently, he is 100% convinced he knows what he knows because God showed him. The way I see it, because he did not trust the Holy Spirit's many promptings that it was false for years, he was turned over to believe what his fleshly heart really wanted to do, believe his pastor was correct and please his pastor.

17. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You may have misunderstood me, Steve.

First, no one was trying to sway me. When I say that I railed against it, it was from my own looking into the subject, which is completely natural because this question has come up in every thinking person's life. I'm a thinker, so the puzzle of who is saved or not and why bothered me, as it does many.

Without knowing the term, I was already a Palegian, so I needed no outside influence to stay one; however, I wanted to understand the other side, so I went to Sproul's Chosen By God. After a few minutes of listened to the CD I yanked it out of the CD player and threw it against the wall. There were some other articles I read very sporadically, but with the same result. The Calvinist position seemed almost demonic to me, but several years later I woke up a Calvinist, and I am eternally grateful that I have.

Second, I did not say that God showed me. I said that I fully believed it. One day I could not and would not believe it, and the next I did, and I gladly did, as it at last made sense of the scripture.

Lastly, I believe with my mind, not my gut. I'm no Charismatic - far from it. I heard no voice. I was simply able to comprehend what I could not prior.

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Certainly we can find examples of people making bad choices.

Do you believe regeneration precedes the choice of the sinner to accept Christ as his Savior? Do you think that 4 and 5 point Calvinists believe in that?
    Those that do believe in it - do not think the sinner can come to Christ any other way.

Steaver's post is in regard to a very specific point in 4 and 5 point calvinism.

Which is devastating when you look at "God's Lament" where HE Himself asks the question "What more could I have DONE" -- it does not say "what more could you (lost sinner) have done".

#58 BobRyan, Jan 1, 2015
  19. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bob, yes, I do believe that God must regenerate a man if that man is to believe. That is very clear to me, and I'm sure you know the proof texts, so I won't list them.

I understand your question a bit better now, and there is a good answer for it. The answer is: Christ. "What more could I have done?" is answered this way: I can send my Son as a child to live a perfect life on behalf of them. In their place He will live and fulfill all righteousness, and in their place He will die a death that they deserve.

The OT is an exhaustive history lesson that proves Calvin's points are an accurate summery of biblical truths. The history of the nation is Israel shows that there is no other way for men to be redeemed. Every method they tried fell short. God's law, His prophets, His Kings, the peoples various leaders, and the multitude of other things could never change the heart of man. They, and we, could not obey. They, and we, could not keep the covenant with God. He cannot be reformed. Moral reform is impossible. The history of the OT plainly demonstrates that.

The heart of man is not changed, as in moral reform, it is made new as in rebirth. Man cannot be made better, he must be "born again". The Good News is that Christ, by His life and death, has fulfilled the demands of the law for us. Praise be to God!

Side question for you, Bob. How are you not bothered by God calling the nation of Israel His "Chosen People" in the OT but you are in the NT? For thousands of years God not only ignored, but commanded Israel to destroy other people groups.

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You keep claiming this as if repeating it over and over somehow makes folks believe it. I posted word for word, quote for quote. No twisting, nothing to unravel. You said what you said brother, no belief in TULIP, no sheep. This is settled, the question now is, why don't all Calvinist agree with you?? They should if you are correct, otherwise, they are not saved either!!! According to your pov of course....