1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Question For Non-Lordship Proponents

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by IronWill, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I posted my answer to this, but let me say I know of several cases where people were saved while living with a partner (in one case, it was 2 lesbians). In time (anywhere from a few weeks to about 2 months), the believer was convicted and stopped living with the partner. Or the believer became convicted, struggled with it for awhile, and then left the partner.

God is more than able to save anyone at any point - some are convicted before they are saved, some while they are saved, some after.

When I was saved, I did not even believe in sin. I kid you not. All I knew was that I had been going on a false spiritual path. And it took me over a year to understand what sin really was and longer to see what evil means to God.

2. IronWill

IronWill New Member

A: I didn't say that you agreed with that statement. I was merely clarifying my position.

B: I have not set up a straw-man, since there are people who believe just that, as I spoke of in my OP. No straw-man here, except for the one that you just created in stating that I had made a straw-man.

3. IronWill

IronWill New Member

I'm not understanding how someone can be saved and not believe that they're a sinner. If you don't understand that you're a sinner, then how can you understand Salvation?

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't know. I just knew that I had been on a path going away from the true God and true Jesus. I realized why Jesus died on the cross (for the first time it made sense), and that I needed a Savior or I would be eternally separated from God. No one explained this to me. I had been reading the Bible and it happened while reading Matthew 8. I had been to Sunday School when younger but had rejected christianity in high school and explored and practiced eastern religions, the New Age, and the supernatural. I knew I needed forgiveness because I had gone against God, but the word "sin" was not in my mind nor did I comprehend it fully.

To understand what sin is, one has to know who one is sinning against. Sin means nothing if you don't believe in God, or don't accept the biblical God, or have a view of God as a warm, fuzzy Santa Claus. Until you fully comprehend the holiness of God, sin means nothing or very little.

Savlation for me was seeing who Jesus really was and knowing I needed him because I had been wrong. Being wrong was something I could grasp, even though sin was not a clear concept. As I came to know God better through Jesus Christ, my understanding of the enormity of sin grew, but it took awhile.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

But saying it to me as though I believed it and that makes it straw man. It's your statement and it's in a post to me. :tongue3:

6. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

You have fairly accurately defined Lordship Salvation.
    Salvation conditioned on the resolve to “forsake sin.”

LM

7. IronWill

IronWill New Member

Do you ever quote anybody besides John MacArthur?

8. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

The Apostle Paul,
    Dr. Charles Ryrie,
    LM

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the new birth yet. The lost person is literally unable to stop his sin until he is born again. It's useless to say to him, "Yes, you have to give up sleeping with your girlfriend after you get saved." He can't comprehend the answer because he is dead in tresspasses and sins.

The excellent textbook by J. C. Macaulay and Robert H. Belton, Personal Evangelism, gives this advice for such a case in Ch. 20, "Miscellaneous Objections" (pp. 187-188):

A. “I CANNOT GIVE UP MY SIN.”
    1. Ask Him Whether He Wants to Be Free from Sin.
    Ask the person who has given this as a reason why he cannot come to Christ, if he really wants to be free from his sinful habits. Jesus said: “Men loved darkness rather than light because their deeds were evil.” He also said: “And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.” Determine if the individual is desirous of living in his sin, or if he is in earnest about desiring to come to Christ but is under the impression he must free himself of sinful habits, which thing he knows he cannot do.

2. Show Him Christ Is Only Answer.
    Agree with the fact that he cannot give up his sin, for the Lord Jesus Christ said: “Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant [slave] of sin.” A slave in Jesus’ day was never capable of setting himself free, he had to be freed by someone else. So Jesus continued: “If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.” He is very able to set the prisoner free, and He loves to do it.

3. Point Him to Christ.
    If the person is sincerely seeking, point him to Christ who said He is able to set a person free. Remind him that Christ is now seated at the right hand of the Father, and that He is able to save to the uttermost all that draw nigh unto God by Him, because He ever liveth to make intercession for them.

4. Assure Him of New Life.
    Another fact to give this one is that when one believes on the Lord Jesus Christ he becomes a new person, for the Bible says: “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.” He receives a new life, he has a new destiny, a new spirit, even the Holy Spirit, comes in to dwell in his heart. In Christ he has died to sin, and he is to reckon himself dead to sin but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord,’ He now has a new indwelling power to enable him to give up his Sin.

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

FTR, IronWill stated he was taught this at a Bible College, not a seminary.

Ed

11. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I'm not a non-Lordship proponent, but I hope you don't object to me answering. :)

I would say something like this: "Although you probably can't imagine it now, when a person comes to know Jesus Christ, pleasing Him is more important to them than their former sins. Christians still sin, but when they do, the 'pleasure' from their sin is lessened, as they realise how much they have offended their Saviour." I might mention Saul of Tarsus as an example. Before becoming a Christian, indeed, right up to the time of his conversion, he was an avowed enemy of Jesus Christ, "breathing threats and murder" against Christians. But as soon as he meets Jesus Christ, he asks, "Lord, what do you want me to do?"

12. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I agree. What are you being saved from if you don't understand that you have offended amighty God, and deserve only His wrath?

13. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Sorry Ed, what is the difference? I just looked up "seminary" in my dictionary, and found that it is "a college for training priests, Christian ministers, etc." (emphasis mine). Is this another of the many US/UK differences of usage?

14. Goldie

Goldie New Member

So in other words what you're saying is that one has to leave one's sin behind because you don't trust Jesus Christ to forgive it and change you after you are saved? So in other words, the Holy Spirit living inside you means nothing, He's helpless in changing you? Where's the trust in the Lord Jesus Christ? Where's the total reliance and dependence on Him to make you a new creature? So it's preferable to make yourself a "new creature" then by giving up your sin? That's a works based salvation.

What I would've said to him would've been by the leading of the Holy Spirit in me to tell him that he sure doesn't have to give up all his "lovely sin", but that if he truly relied, depended and trusted in Jesus Christ as his Saviour, there's no way he could remain the same person. From my personal experience there has been one particular sin that I battled with throughout my Christian walk and I never thought I could be rid of it, but it's amazing what prayer and belief can do - He has taken away my urge to indulge in this sin - I no longer have the need or desire for it. The same goes for smoking cigarettes - it vanished almost instantaneously.

So yes, it all boils down to faith - reliance - dependence - trust in the Lord Jesus Christ, doesn't it? The Bible doesn't fib when it says BELIEVE ON HIM and be saved.

What people don't realize is that Christians can wilfully sin, but God will discipline them, because He disciplines those He loves, just as a parent disciplines he's children. That's why bad things happen to Christians. God is not mocked, what you sow, you will reap.

Then there's still the BEMA judgment which Christians are to face after being raptured/resurrected. We might be forgiven as Christians, but God is Just - He still needs to balance the scales of justice, so if a Christian has offended someone - be it a Christian or unbeliever, they will be punished - their rewards will be taken away. Why do you think there will still be weeping during the Millennium?

It doesn't mean to say that if you've done someone in as a Christian you get off scot-free and the other person is simply out of luck. You will have to "face the music" some day. So if you're saved and you still indulge in certain vices - you're in for a tough time at the BEMA judgment. You are saved, but God still has to correct that sin and make it right as recompense to either Himself or the person(s) you have harmed.

Anyone who accepts Jesus as their Saviour and is sincere about it and relies fully upon Him cannot possibly remain the same - there has to be change - sometimes it's instantaneous, but most of the time it's a slow process, because most people don't have much faith, because they don't ask God for more. The Bible tells us that some don't have because they don't ask.

#34 Goldie, Jul 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
  15. IronWill

IronWill New Member

Yeah...I don't think you could count Hyles-Anderson College or Northeast Baptist Bible as "Seminaries."

16. IronWill

IronWill New Member

Seminary is a bit of a step beyond Bible college. Bible college would be where you go to get your Bachelor's, and Seminary would be where you go to get your Master's or Doctorate. Although some Bible Colleges do offer Masters and Doctorate programs.

17. North Carolina Tentmaker

I think JoJ, Goldie, and David Lamb are gong the right direction here.

My answer would be very simple.

NO

They don't have to do anything to become a Christian, if they did then their salvation would be based on their own works instead of on the grace of God.

But then I would add that they should not be surprised if their desires and wants change after they become a Christian. No you don't have to stop committing immorality, but don't be surprised if you don't want to anymore. When we are changed into new creatures and have a new heart and new nature then our wants and desires change.

18. IronWill

IronWill New Member

That wasn't the question. You've answered a question that I haven't asked. Please answer the one that I did ask. I did not ask "will they have to stop sleeping with their girlfriend to become a Christian."

#38 IronWill, Jul 29, 2008
  19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Probably no effective difference, to me at least, as to intent. However, a college is usually at the undergraduate level and a seminary is at the graduate level. I was just trying to be accurate.

Incidentally, I did not even notice who wrote this, just that it was written, so one will know I often do not even look at who writes something, but again, just what is written.

Ed

#39 EdSutton, Jul 29, 2008
  20. North Carolina Tentmaker

No, I was answering StefanM's question of:
    And my answer is what I said earlier, NO.

You don't have to do anything. If our salvation was dependent on things we had to do then it would be based on our works and actions, not on God's.

But what does happen is that God changes our heart. This is the work of the spirit called sanctification. We don't have to do anything, but the things we want to do will change. And so we will change and we will forsake sin and draw closer to God. But it won't be because we have to but because we want to.

Does that answer you better IronWill?