1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A question for the Calvinists

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Winman, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Taking passages out of context are not a proof text. Many texts (which have been dealt with in great detail, i.e. Matthew 23:37, Luke 13:34, etc.) showing just that...that man can and has resisted God's will. It would help to understand the different aspects of God's will before calling something a "myth" (which doesn't mean "not true", btw ;))

#281 webdog, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2009
  2. Carico

Carico New Member

Sorry, but you've just made Romans 11:29 & 9:19 contradict the passages you quoted. You've also made the passages you quoted contradict Jeremiah 10:23 and Proverbs 16:9, "In his heart a man plans his course. But the Lord determines his steps."

But put them together and you get; only by God's power can someone be righteous enough to believe and follow God. So my interpretation reconciles all scripture together and yours makes scripture contradict itself. So it's you who is taking verses out of context.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is what I mean...you let your preconceived ideas what a passage says interpret the passage...that is eisegesis. There is no contradiction whatsoever, that is only in your head. You approach the text that there is no free will, so then when Jesus says "...you were not willing" in regards to something HE WANTED..it just cannot be, my theology says so!! You then go on and add two more texts to the "out of context" list :rolleyes:

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You agree with the concise statement of scripture:

'So then he hath mercy on whom he will, and whom he will be hardeneth'?

If you agree with that then you accept 'the right of the potter over the clay'.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Absolutely I agree...the Bible says it. Now, what does that verse say in context?

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    18 So then he hath mercy on whom he will, and whom he will be hardeneth.
    19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he still find fault? For who withstandeth his will?
    20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why didst thou make me thus?
    21 Or hath not the potter a right over the clay, from the same lump to make one part a vessel unto honor, and another unto dishonor? Ro 9

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Like I said, in context it is dealing with Israel and God's choice to choose His people from whichever line He so wished.

8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does the 24th verse of this chapter say in your Bible. Mine says:

24 even us, whom he also called, not from the Jews only, but also from the Gentiles?

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...key being "even us"...true Israel ("not all Israel is Israel")

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ones given are the very same people who are drawn -- and these people are the very same ones who are raised up at the last day. Every single person thus drawn is saved. There is no way to get around that biblical fact.

11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not so. Every Scripture can be twisted, at the worst, or misrepresented, at best, to go around Biblical fact, to say one's preconceived notion, or insist on ideas drilled into their minds by those they hold in high regard and authority over them.

12. Allan

Allan Active Member

Ya know, I was going to answer and even had it on here. But then it occured to me who it was that wrote it, and decided to delete it.
    There is no purpose or point.

#292 Allan, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2009
  13. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's no limit to how far some of you armEnians will go to deny the right of the potter over the clay.

14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'Even us', the 'vessels of mercy, which he afore prepared unto glory',of the preceding verse, would indeed be the true Israel of God.

'Even us', the true Israel of God, are those in v18 that he hath mercy on, not those that He hardens.

18 So then he hath mercy on whom he will, and whom he will he hardeneth. [not from the Jews only, but also from the Gentiles will also apply here]

#294 kyredneck, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2009
  15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There's no limit to how far some calvInists will go to deny the context of a given verse.

16. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your insertion of the will of man where it is not, is horrendous.

Put the horse in front of the cart where it belongs. There are those who don't believe because they don't belong to God. Period. Christ states the order very concisely and plainly:

26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep.
    27 My sheep hear my voice.... Jn 10

Note, Christ did not say, ye are not of my sheep, because ye believe not; He said , ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep.

42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me:.....
    43 Why do ye not understand my speech? Even because ye cannot hear my word.
    44 Ye are of your father the devil..........
    47 He that is of God heareth the words of God: for this cause ye hear them not, because ye are not of God. Jn 8

Again take note of the order, they were not of God, not because they wouldn't hear Him; they couldn't hear Him because they were not of God.

Here is the full uncut passage from 2 Cor in which I had previously removed the impertinent verbiage for clarity's sake. The added verbiage changes not a thing.

3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled in them that perish:
    4 in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of the unbelieving, that the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should not dawn upon them.
    5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus` sake.
    6 Seeing it is God, that said, Light shall shine out of darkness, who shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Cor 4

We all know the devil is not stronger than God (I hope so anyway). 'So then he hath mercy on whom he will, and whom he will be hardeneth,' and that's the way He hardens them, the devil does it for Him. And, then God shined in those hearts that He had mercy on to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God. There is no will of man in this passage. And, God shining in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ is a fine example of regeneration before belief.

17. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Excellent, excellent, excellent. I have been trying to make that same point in another thread.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Joh 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.

His sheep hear and follow. That is belief...so you and kyredneck are both wrong :)

19. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

As one feller said,

"Note, Christ did not say, ye are not of my sheep, because ye believe not; He said , ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep."

20. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One line, two line replies, with no elaboration.
    And you pronounce them wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.