1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Question for the Fundamental Baptists

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Headcoveredlady, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Headcoveredlady

Headcoveredlady New Member

Hello,
    We just received a keyboard for one of our young children. While I would love for this child to learn to play hymns there are many things on this keyboard that I consider satanic.

For instance, disco, new age, rock, and other heavy drum beats. Then there is the magic guide who guides the child to play the music.

Please, this is not intended to be a debate about whether or not disco or new age music is evil. But, I wonder if there is any way to allow the child to play the keyboard while not having these things influence the child. Any ideas?

HCL

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I have four children, three of which have learned to play quite proficiently. Before we had a piano, we had a keyboard for a while. It is not hard to teach hymns (at least not for my wife), on a keyboard, as long as you teach that those things on that keyboard which are offensive to you are wrong for them to play. They don't need that kind of background music (rock, jazz, etc.) to play "How Great Thou Art," "Blessed Assurance," etc. As they grew up they learned to love the hymns they played, and detest the rock of the world anyway.
    DHK

3. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

Well this would be a topic I'm not really good with giving advice in, we always had a keyboard growing up and all the different styles taught us girls the diversities and cultures...I considered it very educational but you need to do what you feel is best for your children.

karen

4. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Different styles? Diversities? Cultures?

HERETIC! BURN HER!

5. Pete

Pete New Member

I noticed that part of Headcoveredlady's original post said Please, this is not intended to be a debate about whether or not disco or new age music is evil. Did others?

HCL, I agree with DHK's suggestion of explaining to the children why you don't want them to use the drum part of the keyboard. If further steps are needed perhaps the keyboard could be VERY CAREFULLY dismantled and the drum switch disabled or removed.

I am not sure what is meant by the "magic guide" part of keyboard. A mate has a big keyboard that has a LCD screen that shows where to put fingers to play songs. Is it something like that?

Pete

6. JamesJ

JamesJ New Member

Hi Headcoveredlady,

It sounds to me like you might have a good teaching tool there for a couple of reasons.

I don't know if there is any way to have the magic guide on the keyboard guide your child through hymns, but there may be, check into it.
    Of course, you don't have to use the magic guide to teach at all, use the traditional method. And the drum beats and rhythms that you don't like, you can use them as examples of what is not be played.

Going even further, since those things are there, they can be used as a continuing lesson in the battle of temptation and restraint.

I pray that you have lots of enjoyment teaching your child how to play the keyboard, and that you might teach some things that are even more important...

God bless,
    jim

7. Headcoveredlady

Hello,
    Thank you all for the good advice. And yes, the magic guide lights up for the child's hand's to follow.

HCL

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree that this should NOT divert this thread, but HCL would you please start a thread on WHY you consider "any part" of a keyboard as "satanic". I just had to shake my head at that (in disbelief :rolleyes: ) and would love to discuss it with you all!

Thanks! [​IMG]

9. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Bob,

My brother used to do a lot of speed and once told me that the pencil sharpener tried to bite him.

10. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

HCL said:

Then there is the magic guide who guides the child to play the music.

What do you mean by a "magic guide"? Unless you're referring to some friendly cartoon wizard or some such that appears on the display, it's a piece of harmless computer software. I'd be more concerned about the computer teaching music mechanically, by rote, rather than your children having to learn music.

Please, this is not intended to be a debate about whether or not disco or new age music is evil.

If you don't want a fight, perhaps you should refrain from inflammatory language like calling a keyboard "satanic." And if the built-in drum machine upsets you so much, why didn't you do a little research beforehand and buy something without, like a piano? Caveat emptor.

11. Headcoveredlady

Ransom,
    If you would have read my original post you would have seen, "We just RECEIVED a keyboard..." :rolleyes:

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Headcoveredlady said:

If you would have read my original post you would have seen, "We just RECEIVED a keyboard..."

And? I receive all sorts of stuff, too, at my own request. For all I know, by your ambiguous wording, you meant that you ordered it some time ago and your friendly neighbourhood music store was out of stock until recently.

Even allowing you the benefit of the doubt on a minor semantic question doesn't excuse the inflammatory "satanic" rhetoric, of course, nor does it do a single thing to change my opinion of anti-rock zealots as superstitious and uninformed.

14. Headcoveredlady

Aaron,
    Thank you so much for those threads. I used some of the advice here and told the children no drum beats. Well, so far they have been doing great! I was checking out the keyboard myself yesterday and the two year old said, "No drum beats, mommy."

Ransom,
    I am honestly not interested in debating this issue with you. But, I will say that in my understanding of Scripture there are two forces in the world, evil and good. One is from satan and the other is from God. So in my opinion something is either for the Lord Jesus or from Him or it is for Satan and from him.

HCL

15. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Anti-rock crusaders are cranks, loons, and wingnuts who think Satan is behind everything that goes "bang," "twang," or "crash" in the wrong sequence (assuming they allow anything to go "bang," "twang," or "crash" at all!).

But I'm honestly not interested in debating with you on this, however. ;)

[ January 07, 2003, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Ransom ]

16. JamesJ

JamesJ New Member

Whew... Glad that's over...
    :rolleyes:

17. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

((NOTE TO THE KIDS: Ask mommy why the drumbeats are evil.))

18. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Well, as Satan is the ruler of this world...anything in it could be considered Satanic in the broader sense of the word.

HCL...if you have a problem with the keyboard, don't use it, or have it in your home, you know what is best for your family...get one that doesn't have all that worldly stuff...how about a good old fashioned piano?

19. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Pianos are evil.

Elton John, Little Richard, Liberace, Peter Allen, and Michael Feinstein play pianos (and you know what those guys are up to).

20. Headcoveredlady

Who are these people: Peter Allen and Michael Feinstein? [​IMG] Better yet, don't tell me. :rolleyes:

[ January 07, 2003, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Headcoveredlady ]