1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Question

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, May 18, 2014.

1. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Uhm.... read again. I simply commented that technically you had not been slandered since slander involves speaking and not writing. Libel is written and must actually have caused damage and the statements must not be true.

You then clarified that you were using "slander" in a NT sense which on the face of it is odd seeing as they had no pc's, tablets, nor internet back then. Reminds me of the time when my friend tried to defend Dan Quayle and explained to me that TOMATOE was an Old English term and THAT'S what he meant when he told the kid to add the E.

Be that as it may, the other folks here have patiently and persistently asked you to demonstrate where KJVO ppl have argued that the Byzantine text is the best. Show it to us. Please.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hear that Van? Take note. You have no facts to back up your claims.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still waiting for you to prove your assertions.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Again, you are saying the Bible does not teach communicating false and injurious ideas in any manner except by speech is a sin. Twaddle.

2) Next you suggest I manufactured this idea, to deflect a blunder. I have used slander in the biblical sense many times, and have answered your charge many times before. You manufactured a fault to deflect a truth.

3) Finally, for anyone to say the KJVO folks do not claim the superiority of the Byzantine text type, in defense of the TR is twaddle.

#84 Van, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
  5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TRUE KJVO supporters will accept only the TR as being the real Greek text to use, as the one from God, so they will not have either MT.CT in their discussion points!

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So why not use the TR?

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If one chooses to use the TR as their Greek text, I have no problem with that, but would say tat eithere the CT/MT better represents what the original manuscripts actually stated!

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Advocates of the KJV have Majority Text and Byzantine Text in their discussion points to bolster their adherence to the TR over and against the Critical Text. But this argument is spurious, as demonstrated by their non-advocacy of the World English Bible. At its core, adherence to the TR is provincial, i.e. if it was good enough for Paul, it is good enough for me. :)

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    problem is that the only text I ever saw real KJVO support was the TR!

10. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Van, I work in the business world. I'm just used to the modern legal definition of those two terms. That's all I'm saying.

I never said you manufactured anything. We gonna be friends or not?

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am your friend, but I speak what I believe is truth, and seek to avoid "little fibs" which avoid God's reality. The Bible condemns any sort of communication which is injurious and false, even those we form in our heads and never express. Just saying :)

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I made two additional points, first, that biblical slander is any sort of thought, whether expressed or not, and if expressed, in any form of communication, where the thought is false and injurious to another. Second, that anyone can Google "Byzantine" and find KJVO arguments citing either or both the Majority Text and Byzantine text family, as underlying the TR and being superior to the Critical Text.

None of my friends indicated agreement with one or both points, suggesting a kind of silent treatment which is beneath friendly.

#92 Van, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014