1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Reason Abortion Isn't a Black & White Issue

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Magnetic Poles, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

And again, Don, I posit that if you are that 1%, it becomes very important to you. Legislators should not be making medical decisions for people. There are unintended consequences to anything.

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

Well.....

Mostly true. But, unfortunately, the logical flip side to your statement (therefore, Republicans are against abortion) is no longer as true as it once was. Many Republicans pay lip service to it....but they're not serious about it ("it" being moving our country away from abortion's scourge).

I'm afraid that a larger and larger number of politicians are against abortion....just as long as it'll get them votes in their district.

Sad.

If this is off-topic, forgive me: I've seen several pro-life organizations that use, as part of their literature to make the pro-life case, that "a majority of Americans do not approve of abortion."

Am I just an oddball, or does that strategy bother anyone else? Why would I be interested in an issue of morality....based on whether or not "a majority" of folks approve? If something is wrong, does it really matter if 75%--or 5%--of the public is against it? Isn't wrong...well, wrong, no matter what the polling data says? I dunno if (a) that is too far off topic, or (b) if what I said made any sense to anyone...

3. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

*cough* Actually, it's not the logical flip side...

#43 Analgesic, Jun 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2008
  4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where I disagree with you is: we have way too many medical people who will make a decision for you, whether you actually need that decision or not.

For example, I took my 9-year old son to the eye doctor this morning; the eye doctor asked if it was okay to dilate his eyes. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why my 9-year old son, with perfect eyesight, needed to have his eyes dilated. I said no. My wife later informed me that this particular doctor, in the particular place where we receive our medical care, gets paid for each procedure.

Same for each Planned Parenthood abortion doctor: they get paid for each procedure.

Sad that there are so many doctors that make legislation of these procedures a necessity, isn't it?

5. Magnetic Poles

So who is in a better position to advise on medical decisions for you and your family? Your physician or your congressman?

6. D28guy

D28guy New Member

There indeed are issues that are not "black and white". There are at times grey areas.

Abortion is not one of them. Our country currently has legalized murder...but only if its a defenseless baby. It is legalised child extermination.

Child extermination centers nationally perform multiple thousands if not millions of child exterminations every year.

Mike

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Which carries more weight the life of the child or the desire of the mother not to have to deliver?

8. Magnetic Poles

So we count you for big intrusive government. Thanks for voting.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, you are for big government. Second we rightly use government to protect the innocent lives before and after birth.

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MP,
    We have laws that say "don't kill people unless they're threatening you or your family, or in the defense of others."

Is it so much different to have a law that says "don't abort a baby, unless...."?

Or should we just rely on the existing murder laws, whose wording could be construed to apply to abortion situations?

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that were to come down to Dr. Kevorkian and Davey Crockett... ask your tax consultant.