1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Seeker Asks, "Does this BB fairly represent Calvinism?"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by humblethinker, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Humble,
    there are so many good links available on the web....to get an overall view of calvinism.....in Addition...sermon audio is loaded with good sermons with most of the hundreds of pastors believing in the doctrines of grace

www.sermonaudio.com

here are some other links for you;

http://www.puritanlibrary.com/
    http://www.banneroftruth.org/pages/home.php
    http://www.founders.org/library/dagg_vol1/all.html
    http://www.pbministries.org/books/pink/pinks_archive.htm
    http://www.gotothebible.com/HTML/LibraryPg1.html
    http://www.reformedbaptistinstitute.org/?p=291
    http://www.arbca.com/
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/calvin/inst/index.htm
    http://www.sg-audiotreasures.org/

2. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Skan,
    Well...I would prefer to see the level of interaction be raised higher than what i see happening.

Ask yourself a question....think of which threads you enjoy the most, then look and see that it is the threads that have the most verses dealing with Jesus work in salvation.

look who speaks of that in a scriptural way.....go back as time permits and see who, or when a thread gets derailed...why does it happen....
    can it happen both ways yes....but keep an eye out for how it happens:thumbs:
    I think you are trying to be fair...for the most part.....I think you are doing a good job as a moderator overall...

It is okay if we disagree.....but lets not speak past each other....You can say anything to me and I will not take offence in that I am concerned with seeking out God's truth...so that implies being corrected many times...I just ask that the attempted correction be scriptural based.

#22 Iconoclast, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2011
  3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    double post

4. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Well, on that point we agree. :thumbsup:

But, if you think it is just one sided, or even leaning toward one side you need to post in my shoes for a while. :smilewinkgrin:

5. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

If you really want to struggle with this issue with clarity, I don't recommend using this Board as one of your primary sources. In fact, it might be wise to not use this Board at all. There is more heat than light on this Board and things tend to always get personal. What I recommend:

1. Bible Study
    2. Prayer
    3. Read scholars from both sides. From the Cal side, I think this is a great book - very user friendly and written from a kind spirit:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1433511282/?tag=baptis04-20

Sproul is good too. Piper, MacArthur, Packer.

6. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Spurgeon Vs Hyper Calvinism: The Battle for Gospel Preaching by Iain H. Murray

I recommend reading this. It helped me to understand what is really important Jesus, what is grace without knowing Him?

7. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Sorry, Benjamin, just to be sure I haven't totally misunderstood your post, I must ask, did your "H..." mean "Hypercalvinists", or "Hypocrites"? (I cannot see how the zipped lips icon would fit with it being "Hypercalvinist"). Or perhaps your "H..." stood for some other word starting with h. :confused:

8. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Book purchased and downloading into my Kindle app. The reviews appear to be very good. Hopefully this will be a fair presentation of Calvinism.
    Thank you Andy

#28 humblethinker, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2011
  9. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

You hurt my feelings!

Thought as a Moderate cal, more actually an Armralist, we got along quite well considering how you and others get along here!

10. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

humblethinker, the C/A debate is what brought me to start lurking here several years ago. There's room for arrogance and pride on either side of the debate, in my opinion, most of the good folks on BB fall in the middle, but when I'm reading through threads on the issue I'll tend to give more weight to those posters (on either side) that season their comments with grace and humility, and encouragement to keep studying God's word.

Over the past few years from having no understanding of the debate, I've become reformed in my thinking, and based upon definitions I've seen here am a soft/moderate calvinist. Some of the posters that have really helped me better understand some issues are Jim1999, Iconoclast, and Glfredrick, among others. But like someone else said, read, pray, and study.

A couple of years ago I also started periodically checking another message board (board of puritans), those guys really made me angry as I struggled with this issue. Lately, I've been reading that site more frequently than here. I don't agree with everything they might believe on baptism, etc. But I find those folks to be very civil (compared to BB) and always striving to learn more.

11. JesusFan

I also go there to view various postings on puritan Board, but find them VERY much stuck "our way" is the only way!

A great source of reformed calninism, but don't know how much a baptist cal would get from there, as they tend to go for infant baptism/covenant theology/more amil eschatology etc than most Baptists get into!

12. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Yeah, I know what you mean, about the other stuff, I just take it with a grain of salt. Its mostly Presbys, most of which seem conservative in their views, but there does seem to be quite a few reformed baptist on there, even remember seeing a methodist who posts occasionaly.

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And this from one who named himself "Offence," applying a title of Christ to himself*. Am I the only one finding this an afront?

From here on out, to me you are simply Scandal. I cannot bring myself anymore to lend credence to your unchecked brazenness.

*1 Peter 2:7-8.

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To answer the op, Calvinist/Reformed Baptists here are given freedom to present their position and interpretation of the doctrines of grace.

As are others who are 0-1-2-3-4 on the 5-point scale.

If we had a hypercalvinist, they would be accorded the same freedom.

When the BB was formed 11+ years ago (I was on board in the beginning month) there was a huge controversy with those espousing a non-calvinistic view of sovereignty. The word "heresy" was finally ELIMINATED from use on the BB. We fought thru and most of the arminian and semi-pelagians dropped by the wayside. Others who were in the "middle ground" (actually, the majority) simply quit debating the area altogether, tired of the petty bickering instead of in-depth biblical discussions.

Most of the Admin/Moderators here would still lean toward the conservative calvinistic side, although only of few of us would be openly "reformed" in debate.

So if "Calvinism" is not "fairly represented", it is through no fault of ours. The freedom to present what Baptists who are Calvinists teach/believe is probably more evident HERE than any other general discussion board.

15. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

This is unreal. I read through all the posts of Iconoclast, not one thing have I found to be offensive. I rather found them to be enlightening myself, worthy of thought, and the Scripture references helpful. But then it is called "offensive."

Yet it remains, we have one within the thread that calls some cals on here "H" but that is overlooked, correct? Now that's justifiable?

Totally unnecessary derogation.

16. JesusFan

Think that all of us here could learn more about what each side teaches, as notice that what tends to happen is either we don't really know what other side teaches, having "straw men", or else the others refuse to actuall acknowledhe that IS indeed what they teach, just now owning it!

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    P4T,

While I think some of the things you mentioned should not happen...i would rather allow for people to express honestly what they think...so you know who you are dealing with up front.

Even though it is a message board, we should not lose sight of the fact that what we think and do is before the eyes of the Lord.

I do not mind if someone gets excited within reason...I prefer that, to a dead fish floating downstream. If a person resorts to those kind of statements it shows they are frustrated and unable to come to truth .

I look more for scriptures offered than some of the heat and emotion.
    Sometimes I see an unfortunate post and try to learn not to do the same thing that I do not like that I see in others. I fail sometimes at this.

Sometimes we post in haste, not reading and considering what is offered;

I think this happens here too often.
    Some post in anger;
    I do this sometimes if I take the bait:laugh:

Some resist clear bible verses;
    But they despise their own soul.

18. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I agree with you as per usual. But the thing that stuck out to me reading through the thread was the "H" comment, and not a thing you said.

I found no offense in your words at all.

I know, I am supposed to go report the thread. Naw, I'll pass. It is so blatantly apparent, why bother?

19. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’ve been here 7 years and never seen such tolerance of the hyper Calvinist/Hard Determinist/”biblical Calvinism” – whatever you (or they) want to call it – type opinions flying around. I’ve asked myself the same question as to why the mainstream Calvinist would not take a stand against the views (*openly or logically attributing evil to God, and arrogantly preaching a dark message that some have no hope because of not being pre-elected) being presented on this board as if they were orthodox views. I find it very disturbing, especially when I consider a seeker might be searching here for hope. I’m thinking something is really wrong here as of late and frankly I’ve about had my fill of it.

My guess is that a biased authority here has unconscionably allowed the “over the top” Hard Determinists views to run amuck as an “in your face”, “payback” to the non-Calvinist by denying the violence done to the truth. To be fair I’ve considered that maybe the non-Cals have forced this hand by being overly accusative at times, but two wrongs never make a right and what I believe should be the “*priority” is being willfully neglected. And yep, I know I don’t have to place myself under the “authority” that be here…I’ve been praying to a Higher Authority about the situation.

#39 Benjamin, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2011
  20. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do know that all your moderators are non Calvinists, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.