1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Seeker Asks, "Does this BB fairly represent Calvinism?"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by humblethinker, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just answer the question.

The Christ of Calvinism chooses some to save, and others He does not. Does the Christ of your doctrine, do this?

#61 Aaron, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2011
  2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why are there those who are CONTINUALLY ALLOWED to question the salvation openly of others on this board?!?

3. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I did answer your question Aaron, and I think it is quite apparent to everyone what you are attempting to do here.

Oh, and is the Christ of Southern Baptist, who baptize by immersion, different from the Christ of some Presbies? And what about the Christ of pre-millienialism versus the Christ of post-millenialism? I mean only one of those groups is going to be right, so which one is worshiping the right Christ? And how about the Christ of supra Calvinists versus the Christ of infra Calvinists? What about those who worship Christ on Saturday instead of Sundays, which one is worshiping the real Christ?

I think the point is clear and it should be even more clear why the Administrative counsel has made a rule against such nonsense. Please stop.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should change your name to I.M. Weasel. Maybe it will help if I rephrase the question: Does Calvinism depict Christ in a faithful manner? Are the things it says of Christ true?

5. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

:laugh:

That really did make me laugh out loud. I really hope they don't ban you because you entertain me. :thumbsup:

As I said the first time, Christ is the same for both groups, just as he is the same for you and TomVols (as an example) even-though you disagree about some points in theology. You may be more right in your description and understanding on some points and Tom may be more right on others, but that doesn't mean the Christ you worship is different... He is just understood differently.

Hey, when we all get to heaven God will gather us all up in one place and explain everything to us at once. BTW, He has personally asked me to head up that meeting, so just be ready! :laugh:

6. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Did attend there for awhile, but strongly believe in TULIP....

was just stated here that some seem to hold to that theology of those 2 authors I read while in school!

7. JesusFan

God predestined it to happen that way?

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :BangHead:

Though I did not do so, there is no rule saying I cannot bring your salvation into question. It's an interpretation of the rules about the manner of our interaction. If it is now being interpreted to mean one cannot give a straight answer to a question of doctrine, then it is robbing this board of the stated purpose of its existence, and is actually working to suppress the truth, and to give one sect defacto status and power over another.

In fact, it's your only escape from giving a straight answer to my question. Indeed, it seems to be the primary objection raised against the searing light of Calvinism.

The straight answer is, no. If I say I saw your wife at such and such a bar dancing sensually with webdog, and I really think I did see her doing that, am I really describing your wife, or someone else? (Am I really describing webdog? That's a question for another thread.) The two doctrines do not describe the same Christ, and the difference is fundamental, not peripheral. It touches on the very nature of the Atonement. What did Christ actually do on the Cross?

The fact is, that you sense that the differences are more fundamental than you'd like to admit. Everyone does, and that's why when Calvinism is faithfully expounded, some of the more simpering Noncalvinists get restless and begin to beat the don't-question-my-salvation drums.

As far as questioning salvation is concerned, the Lord knoweth them that are His. Not I. And as I've said, Calvinism is the only doctrine that would allow that one who has an impression of Christ so fallacious that it would stretch credulity to say he really knows Christ, to be known of Him. I've been castigated by some of the very people clicking their report post icons against me for saying in the past that a man can be saved even if he doesn't believe in the Trinity or the Deity of Christ or the Virgin Birth, etc.

But to give their teaching legitimate Gospel status? That I cannot, and will not do. I will not say, "Well, that's just one equal view of the same Christ." I'll allow that they see Him from a vast distance and can't make out the details, but to put their view on equal footing with the Reformed view? (Or worse, bring the Reformed view of Christ down?) I won't do it, and neither am I compelled by the rules to do so.

So I say without apology, Calvinism is the Gospel, and nothing else. Does that offend you? Well, Christ is the πέτρα σκανδάλου, the Petra Skandalon, the Rock of Offence. You should be glad that it may provoke you to jealousy, but your problem is what was said, not with the manner in which it was said. Is there any other move dove-like than Iconoclast? And look at how your cast the same in your teeth against him.

9. JesusFan

I will answer you , if you answer this question first..

putting aside HOW the person came to faith in jesus, to save them from sins....

Will THAT Jesus save anyone who sees Him as being God, dieing on the Cross to atone for THAEIR sins, regardless if they get an A in bibical Sotierological theology?

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

So it is alright for me to conclude that you do believe in Allah, right?

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salvation is given without condition. Jesus will save whoever He wants to save. He will have mercy on whom He will have mercy. The answer is yes.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My response would be: prove it.

13. JesusFan

So IF jesus saves us regardlress of our views on cals/Arms other etc in Sotierology, doesn't THAT fact Make Him NOT Jesus of any particular system of Sotierology, but of the Bible ALONE?

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus is.

When one says "the Christ of Calvinism," one is saying, the Christ described by this doctrine. I could say I'm describing JesusFan, but if I say JesusFan is a loud, fat, immodestly dressed woman at a certain dive, can I say I'm really describing JesusFan?

In numerous places, I've compared and contrasted Scandal's description of Christ with the Calvinist's. We can argue about which is biblical and which isn't, but it can't be said an unbiblical christ is Christ.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Humblethinker, has your question been answered yet? ;)

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    THAT was FUNNY! :laugh:

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looking back on this, I see I made a grave error. Jesus will save whomever the Father wills saved.

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JesusFan, you said you'd answer my question.

19. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good Post
    Some feel threatened when a thread closes in on them or their belief system.
    You did not question His salvation.You asked a direct question that will show where the two theologies differ.
    It is the same Jesus as far as trinity, creation, public ministry,etc and yet we have two theological ideas that are not really alike.They cannot be reconciled. One is true...one is error......no middle ground.
    Can people be saved who have a partial mis-understanding of this truth...yes.
    Can people be lost who have a partial mis-understanding of this truth.....yes

It is a serious issue and should be freely looked at. the more scriptural we can be with our presentation the better.

Aaron I have withstood much more intense opposition to what I get here and at this point I am okay with it,in that at least there is a fervency that eventually might compel some to re-evaluate what they have heard.
    Others lurk, read, and learn by the verses offered back and forth...that is why I always ask for scripture as it gives the reader a chance to look up the verses and come to truth.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your question/post:
    The God of the non-Cal chooses "whoso believes on him"; those who do not he condemns to hell, such as those in Islam.
    Are you therefore of Islam? Like Calvinism their extreme form of determinism is almost identical to the Islamic Kismet or fatalism. Is your God Allah? You question the salvation of others. I don't plan to carry this conversation on any longer.
    I know you don't like it. Others don't like it when their salvation is questioned or challenged either. I trust you will abide by the rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.