1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A set number of saved?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by pituophis, May 15, 2006.

1. pituophis

pituophis New Member

Are there a set number (pre-determined by God) of people who will be saved? [i.e. ALL that the Father gives to me WILL COME] Or is this a variable number that God knows but has not predetermined?

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

WARNING: Cal/Arm slugfest to follow.

DING DING DING...

3. whatever

whatever New Member

Set.

How can God know something, and it not be certain to come to pass?

4. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Not that's funny [​IMG] On the chuckle scale I give that a full chuckle.

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Obviously, yes, otherwise what you have is open theism. But this scripture is revealing, too.

How will God know when the full number has come in?

6. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Set. Even so-called "calminians" have to agree. I've heard them say for years that when that "last" saint gets saved, the rapture will immediately happen. So if there is a "last" one, there must be a definite number.

Of course I realize that some folks don't think God can do math.

BTW I wonder why, if God is not willing that any (as the A's would, not any person whatsoever) should perish, why would there even be an end of the world? Surely there's going to be some standing on earth that have not been saved when the end comes. Is that fair to them? What if they were given another opportunity to be saved? Maybe they didn't really understand the gospel. Maybe they haven't heard the get-in-the-wheel-barrow illustration. How can we "love" them into the Kingdom if God puts a stop to everything? Is God FAIR to just cut time off like that with no remedy?

Maybe that's why there should be a purgatory. That way, there's always some chance that the lost will be saved after all. Cause after all, God surely wants them to be saved, doesn't he?

See where A leads us? Back to Rome, as the Dorter's said.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since God is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent and omniemporal, of course He knows the exact number.

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

And that number is...... 42!

(I imagine only a few will get that reference...)

9. Calvibaptist

Calvibaptist New Member

I missed the reference. Can you explain? I know it will ruin the joke, but I want a good laugh.

10. Mel Miller

Mel Miller New Member

The full number includes the 144,000 Jews whom
    the Lamb takes to heaven to sing their "song of
    the Lamb". These "Firstfruit unto God as well as the Lamb" will IMO "present the Son of Man to the Ancient of Days" moments before He takes the
    Kingdom of this world to Himself and gives it to
    the people of the saints. Dan.7:13-27.

The full number also includes the "last martyr who must be killed" before God avenges their
    blood on the last day. Rev.6:9-11.

These two numbers, one known only to the Father,
    signifies the known time-frame for expecting God's wrath is one of the days after the great tribulation. God's wrath is announced only at the 7th Trumpet on the Last Day.

But we cannot know the exact day, during which Christ will come FOR and WITH ALL the Saints ...
    including the "called, elect and faithful out of
    the great tribulation because they are worthy"! Rev.17:14; I Th.3:13; Zech.14:6-9; 2 Th.1:7-10.

Mel Miller www.lastday.net

11. npetreley

npetreley New Member

The Hithchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, a series of books by the late Douglas Adams. I strongly recommend it. It's hilarious, even if it does contain an incorrect view of Jesus in one part.

The reference to 42 is this. People built a supercomputer to calculate the answer to "life, the universe and everything". The computer took thousands of years (I think) to calculate the answer. The answer was "42". When the people were baffled by the answer, the computer said the only way to fully understand the answer was to know the question. For that, they had to build an even bigger, more powerful computer. That new computer was the earth, a living computer that would produce the correct question in order to understand the answer.

I won't explain why (it would give away one of the better jokes in the story) but the question turned out to be "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?" Now, we know the answer is not 42, which is tied to the joke.

Someone pointed out to Douglas Adams that you DO get the answer 42 if you multiply 6 x 9 in base 13, and asked Adams if that's what he had in mind. Adams replied, "Nobody writes jokes in base 13."

Last bit of advice: Read the books, don't rent the movie. The movie departs a great deal from the books. There was a PBS series that was more faithful to the books, though, but I don't know if you can find a recording of it anywhere.