1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Skopos Version of John 17

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 17:
    1. After Jesus spoke these words, and lifted up His view into heaven, He said, “Father, the hour has come, glorify your Son that your Son may glorify you.”
    2. Just as you gave Him authority over all flesh so that He will give eternal life to those you have given to Him.
    3. Moreover, this is eternal life – that they would know the only true God and Jesus Christ, the One you sent.
    4. I glorified you on earth by finishing the work you gave Me to do.
    5. Now Father, glorify Me alongside you with the glory I had with you before the world existed.
    6. I revealed your name to the disciples you have given Me out of the world; they were yours, and you have given them to Me. They have carefully kept your word.
    7. Now they know that everything you have given Me is from you.
    8. Because I have given them the declarations you have given Me and they took hold of them and truly understand I came from you and believe you sent Me.
    9. I ask for these disciples, and not for the world, but for these you have given Me, because they are your chosen ones.
    10. Both all mine are yours and yours are mine and I have been glorified by them.
    11. These are in the world, but I am no more in the world and am coming to you. Holy Father protect them by your name, which you have given Me, that they may be one just as we are one.
    12. While I was with them in the world, I protected, by your name, those you had given me, and none of them perished, except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.
    13. But now, I am coming to you, and saying these things in the world, that they might have My joy fulfilled in themselves.
    14. I have given them your word, but the world hates them because they are not like the world, just as I am not like the world.
    15. I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you protect them from evil.
    16. They are not like the world just as I am not like the world.
    17. Set them apart in your Truth; your Word is Truth.
    18. Just as you sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.
    19. I sanctify Myself for their sakes, because then they may be set apart in Truth.
    20. Yet, I am asking not only for the disciples, but also for the ones who will believe into Me, through the disciples’ testimony.
    21, So that they all may be one, even as you, Father, are in Me and I am in you, that they may also be one in Us, so that the world might continually believe that you sent Me.
    22. And the glory which you have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one.
    23. I in them and you in Me that they may be perfected into oneness with Us, so that the world may know that you sent Me and loved them just as you love Me.
    24. Father, I desire that those you have given to Me be with Me where I am, that they may see My glory, which you have given to Me before the foundation of the world because you love Me.
    25. Righteous and Just Father, the world does not know you, but I know you, and these disciples know that you sent Me.
    26. I have made your name known to the disciples, and will continue to make it known; so that the sacrificial love you have for Me may also be in them as I am in them. ​

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van, you have posted your personal rendering of John 17:1-26 seven times now. It is tiresome to see it pop up on the screen so often. You did it in post 131, 146, 153, 162, 165, 176 and now 181. Do you want attention? Do you want praise? What is your problem?

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mr. Rippon, your efforts to find fault with my behavior, rather than discuss the content of my posts is tiresome.

Returning to topic, post #181 highlights how I translate an imperative of entreaty, eschewing "please." This is consistent will all the English translations I looked at. If you flip open to Luke 14:18 will will see where translators used "please" to emphasize request rather than command.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.