1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Special Request for the Holidays...

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Nov 22, 2012.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Special Request for the Holidays...

...Well, my request actually goes further than just the holidays, but let's start with the upcoming season since it is less than a month away.

If you are considering a dog for your child's gift, or that special someone, please give serious thoughts to RESCUE dogs.

Even if you are not going to give a dog for a gift, give a dog the gift of a forever family by adopting one for your family. You will know that you did the right thing when the pup gives you all it can give in the form of warm, furry puppy love!

RESCUE DOGS MAKE GREAT PETS!
    Give the gift of life...rescue dogs are the gift that keeps on giving [love]!​

#1 righteousdude2, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2012
  2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Two weeks ago, Janice and I adopted Charlie, a two-year-old Lhasa Apso, from a no-kill shelter in Metropolis Illinois, across the Ohio River from Paducah. He was rescued from a home where they found 30 dogs, owned by a lady who passed away.

Charlie has already bonded with Janice, since all he has apparently known for most of his life are females. He tolerates me, but we're making progress. Tonight, for the first time, he came over to me and let me scratch his head.

He needs some obedience training, but so far, so good.

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Our little 5 pounds of loving kisses and tail wagging dances of joy came from a woman who had to move into a rest home.

While she (toy poodle) was grey around the muzzle and has age related health issues, giving her a home has been a blessing. Due to her age, about 10, she may not have been adopted had she been put in a shelter, as most folks want a puppy or a young dog.

Note to all. If you are giving a dog, please do match the dog to the new owner. I know of a case where a small dog was given to a disabled woman for a companion. The thought was a good one. However, this woman is on oxygen and can barely get around. She can't properly walk her energetic 18 month old companion. She uses indoor mats, made for this purpose, for his bathroom. So he rarely gets to go outside. Plus, she's had to cope with training and wire chewing, shoe chewing mischief of a young dog.

When I'm there, he begs to go outside. He'll wet both of us in excitement when I pick up his leash to take him for a walk. Once outside, to watch him stop and just sniff scents on the air, tells me how wrong it was to match this dog with his owner. A more mature, more sedate, dog would have been a better match for both the dog and the owner. One from a rescue shelter would have been a far better solution.

In her case, in particular, a cat for a companion, may have been a better solution. They need homes, too.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I was not a pet lover at all when we adopted Jingo, out little Jack Russell from ASH Animal Rescue in August 2011. The little has stolen my heart. He and have walked almost 2,500km this year.

Don't know what we did without him! Good post RD2

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

We had a dalmatian for almost 16 years when she passed away. To replace her we went to the no-kill shelter here in the Valley and got Holly. She's a pit-bull/dalmatian mix and is as sweet as the day is long.

6. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

My best friend growing up was a beagle mix pup who was dumped on the road as a puppy. She was wonderful. I think some dogs just know that they've been rescued.

7. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Rescues Seem To Relish the Second Chance...

...we just lost our pure bred Yorkie [he as 18 and a half years-old], and he was a smug little guy who seemed to know he was of royal blood lines. :laugh:

Ten years ago, while shopping at PetSmart my eyes fell upon Skittles [then Fluffly], and we ended up adopting her. She was rescued on the day she was to die, and with the adoption agency for several months, until our hearts matched.

The first week, she spent her time in my wife's lap [quite a feat for a terrier/Basset mix], as our Yorkie didn't welcome her with love and affection.

However, after seven days passed, and he saw that Skittles wasn't going anywhere, we came into the front room thinking they were in a fight, and instead found them chasing each other around the coffee table and playing like they had been "buds" forever, or as today's generation says, BFFs!

Skittles have since become not only a mainstay in the family, and the last of our four remaining kids [two cats and Teeger - the Yorkie - passed this past year], and she also demonstrated an uncanny ability to foretell my sugar lows [I'm diabetic], saving me from getting them, which is bad for my body.

She is now certified as a service dog, and goes with us everywhere, as the brunt of my bouts with hypoglycemia comes while I'm out walking in and around stores or at restaurants.

She has become the true rescuer in our family, in more ways than either my wife or self saw her becoming when she first laid a lip-to-lip per kiss on my lips the day I first found her laying on the floor at PetSmart.

We've had AmBree's and pure breeds, but the Ambree's [American Breeds] seem to be the most wonderful because as some have already noted, they seem to know they were spared an early exit from this life.

Again, if you are wondering hat to do with your Christmas giving ideas, turn to your local shelter and give a cat or dog the joy of life for many years to come.

And as one member said, PLEASE do some on line research to the best match the dog to the person and family. Some dogs [even though they are mixed breeds] need more attention than others, and they will chew and dig their way to any form of attention [even negative].

Shalom!