1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Study in Contrasts: Billy Graham vs. Blind Joan Waste

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Protestant, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Protestant

Protestant Well-Known Member

Soon Southern Baptist Rev. Dr. Billy Graham will pass from this world into eternity. The friend of Popes and Presidents, he will leave a world which honors, praises and reveres the very ground upon which he walks. Lest the world forget his legacy, he has built a temple in which he may be worshipped, The Billy Graham Library.

A proud proponent of ecumenism, futurism, universalism and decisional regeneration, Rev. Graham’s words and actions reveal little regard for the finished work of Christ upon the Cross, the alone holy sacrifice which propitiated the Father and can never be repeated.

Memorable Graham Quotes:

“Since his election, Pope John Paul II has emerged as the greatest leader of the modern world, and one of the greatest moral and spiritual leaders of this century.” (The Saturday Evening Post, Jan/Feb 1980)

“I’ve found that my beliefs are essentially the same as those of orthodox Roman Catholics, for instance. They believe in the Virgin Birth, and so do I. They believe in the blood atonement of the cross, and so do I. They believe in the resurrection of Jesus and the coming judgment of God, and so do I. We only differ in some matters of later church tradition.” (McCall’s, Jan 1978)

Unable to discern the spirit of Antichrist, this celebrated icon of the secular and religious world has time and again proven to be deficient of the Holy Spirit, the Teacher who leads His people into all truth.

I now turn the reader’s attention to a young Christian lady, 22-year-old Joan Waste, blind from birth. The year is 1556; the place, Derby, England; the historian, John Foxe.

Uneducated and unable to read, Joan saved the money she earned as a knitter and rope turner to purchase a New Testament. A friend, John Hurt, a resident of debtor’s prison was willing to read a chapter a day to her. In addition, she would hire other readers for a penny or two. In a short time Joan was able to memorize whole chapters of the New Testament, enabling her to refute false doctrine with Scriptural proofs.

However, when King Edward VI died, Miss Waste became a marked woman under the reign of Roman Catholic Queen Mary. Refusing to discontinue her Bible studies, her preaching and her contending for the faith, all the while refusing to compromise with the unbiblical Romanists, Joan soon found herself before the Inquisition chaired by Roman Catholic Bishop Rafe Bayne and Dr. Draicot, his Chancellor.

The Charges Against Joan Waste

“First, that she did hold, the sacrament of the altar to be but only a memory or representation of Christ’s body…and not his natural body…

That she did hold, in the receiving of the sacrament of the altar, she did not receive the same body which was born of the Virgin Mary and suffered upon the cross for our redemption.”

Miss Waste replied she believed only as the Holy Scriptures taught and as learned men such as her Lollard pastor, Dr. Rowland Taylor, taught. She then asked the Inquisitors if they would likewise prove their doctrine by dying for it, as did Dr. Taylor.

If they would not, she requested they “for God’s sake not trouble her with any further talk, she being a blind, poor and unlearned woman, saying that by God’s assistance she was ready to yield up her life in that faith in any sort they should appoint.”

Threatened with imprisonment, torture and death unless she renounce her Lollard doctrine, blind Joan Waste asked if the Bishop would answer to God on the Day of Judgment in her stead, if she believed as he commanded.

Pronounced a heretic, Joan was imprisoned and burned five weeks later.

On the day of her martyrdom, Dr. Draicot delivered a sermon saying that “the woman was condemned for denying the blessed sacrament of the altar to be the very body and blood of Christ really and substantially, and was thereby cut off from the Roman Catholic Church; and said that she was not only blind of bodily eyes, but blind of soul. And he said that as her body should be presently consumed with material fire, so her soul should be burned in Hell with everlasting fire as soon as it shall be separated from her body; and there to remain world without end; and said it was not lawful for the people to pray for her.” (The Acts and Monuments of John Foxe, Vol. 8, 19th century edition, pgs. 247-50.)

To Rev. Graham the differences between his version of biblical Christianity and Roman Catholicism are but minor trifles.

In his deluded mind, the Antichrist has yet to come.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You major on the minors and minor on the majors.
    Probably more than half of the board believes in futurism and that the Antichrist is yet to come. We are not deluded, and would appreciate not being referred to as such.

Billy Graham's biggest mistake, as you referred to in your post, was his ecumenism, his association with the RCC, and other religions that held not the truth of God. This has done more harm to the cause of Christ than we shall ever know, not his stand on eschatology which is relatively insignificant in the grand scheme of things, as well as yours.

3. Protestant

Protestant Well-Known Member

I look forward to your explanation to Christ when asked, on Judgment Day, to explain how it is possible that the Revelation.......given to no less than the Lord Jesus Christ by no less than His Father and God for the express purpose of revealing to His Elect Church truths which the Father has deemed so critically important that a promise of unique blessing is given the sincere seeker of the truths contained therein, as well as cursings for those who attempt to alter these truths in any way, shape or form......is a minor Word from God, though it is His final emphatic Word to us.

BTW, if the Pope, who falsely claims headship of the universal Christian Church, while opposing Christ at every turn, is not the Man of Sin, the prophesied Antichrist, then all the martyred Albigenses, Waldenses, Reformers, be they Baptist or otherwise, then they were deluded, having been sent strong delusion because they believed not the truth that the Pope was the legitimate head of the universal Church, the true Vicar of Christ, a most holy and honorable Christian man to whom full obedience is deserved and required.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is sad what arrogance does to the mind and gets put openly on display like the op in this thread.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

to explain why your view of eschatology is wrong?? :laugh::laugh:

I am not concerned that the Lord is going to be asking me that.

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Meanwhile the whole point is lost sight of, that Roman Catholicism is antichrist and anti Christ-followers --- in fact Roman Catholicism AS DOCTRINE, DOGMA AND DOGMATICS.

Few feel the brunt of the truth because most conform to the lie.

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

This thread is a waste of space and a needless irritation of electrons. It purports to "contrast" Joan Waste and Billy Graham, but compares two totally different doctrinal stances and condemns a man who has done more to provoke people to Christ than any other man in the last 100 years. Regardless of what you may think of his ecumenism, can you say you've done a hundredth as much for the cause of Christ?

This nonsense should be expunged from existence.

#8 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2014
  8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just another Calvinist casting aspersions on a brother in Christ. Nothing new here.

9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yeah, them big bad Calvinist wolves should be run out of here and stoned to death or something.

oh, wait, I don't see where Protestant mentioned anything about election or predestination or Calvinism, maybe you could shed light on that you being 'in the light' ?

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God will be the Judge if Billy Graham <provoked> as many as one person or himself to Christ.

As for myself, I can say I've done nothing <for the cause of Christ>. Despite I believe in the last day He will say to me, too, as to many the same as me, "Well done!"

Roman Catholic DOGMA, DROGMA, DOCTRINE AND DOGMATICS though will stand by to accuse and condemn me like everybody else who were "UNDESERVING SERVANTS".

[edit] Roman Catholicism! It is the antichrist.

#11 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2014