1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

a summary of the now infamous "telegony" article

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Scarlett O., Jul 11, 2007.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've read the now infamous original article supposedly about telegony and here is what I found.

http://www.tcrnews2.com/genbioethics2.html

It's part of a presentation to the congress at the Vatican called "At the Dawn of Human Life" organized by the Institute of Gynecology and Obstetrics of the Catholic University of Rome.

It asserts that there are changes that take place in the mother when she is pregnant caused the "person" of the child and indirectly because of the husband because he contributes 50% of the genetic material. According to the Professor Salvatore Mancuso, those changes include:
    • during the 5th week of pregnancy, hormone-like messages pass from the embryo to the mother
    • such information serves to adapt the mother's organism to the presence of a new being
    • stem cells from the embryo colonize the mother's medulla (brain) and lymphocytes (immune system cells) are born here and remain with the mother for life
    • after implantation "dialogue" between the embryo and mother is more intense
    • at the moment of birth, whether spontaneous or Cesarean, or at the time of abortion, whether spontaneous or voluntary, more stem cells are carried to the mother's medulla
    What this article appear to be about is the a scientific explanation as to why the mother does not expel or self-abort the embryo as a foreign object in the body. It is giving an explanation as to why the mother's body....even before she knows that she is pregnant will serve to protect the embryo, even with it being a "foreign" organism. It is talking about chemical and stem cell transfers of information between the embryo and the mother.....

.....NOT genetic/DNA information being exchanged nor genetic/DNA changes in the mother.

As to the idea that the father's characteristics being transferred to the mother as well as the child the article says, "These are areas that are yet to be explored."

That's all I can find in this article. I don't see anything about telegony.