1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Tale of Two Christianities

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Steven Yeadon, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me, watching the news all the time, that this country isn't divided between atheists and Christians. Instead, it seems to be two competing Christianities. A liberal Christianity that accepts the presuppositions of the modern world versus a biblical Christianity that abides by God's Word.

Part of this is that so many liberal Democrats quote scripture and praise prayer. I see CNN hosts do so often. It shocks me really. So many people claim Christ as savior who are social liberals.

This doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon, since most younger people are moralistic therapeutic Deists with the trappings of Christianity without the substance.

Am I right? What do you think?

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the answer is obvious to anyone who compares the beliefs/platform/goals of the Ds to the Rs.

3. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you mean? They aren't a competing heretical Christianity?

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are not saved on the basis of having all
    of our political ducks in the correct row any more than we are saved by having all our theological ducks in the correct row(Christians can’t even agree on what all of the rows should be). I see a really awful tendency by some Christians with a right-wing political bent that carry over the correct theology that there is only one way to God’s presence - Jesus - into the political realm and mistakenly insist that Christians must be all the same politically. I will not bow the knee to these right-wingers just I will not bow the knee to left-wingers. There is nothing salvific about how we vote or if we even participate in voting. We are saved by the finished work of Jesus. If anyone adds voting to how to be saved, then they are adding human works to it.

5. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m not sure it’s a matter of one side being “heretical”.

There are many passages of scripture that can be viewed as “liberal” and others as “conservative”.

The difference, imo, is how or if the government is used to enforce those beliefs.

Liberals have sought, and won, government sanction for programs they see as biblical; help for the poor, sick, hungry. They have won “equality” recognition which they see as biblical; there is no partiality with God. They want to ban the death penalty. And so on. All of which they see as biblical.

Conservatives want to use the government to protect the life of unborn children, allow prayer in schools, use of the death penalty if necessary, protect parents rights especially in areas of sexual education. And so on. All of which they see as biblical.

A big part of the problem is government going beyond its mandate. That’s when we get into an area where folks are being forced to conform to government mandates against their beliefs or be seen as non-compliant to authorities.

peace to you

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one can be an obedient Christ follower and agree with the agenda of abortion on demand all 9 months, and redefining traditonal family relationships!

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would see this as the Kingdom of God clashing with Kingdoms of satan, as the so called Christian left is really secular humanism under guise of being a form of Christianity!

8. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Been that way for over a century. Though the ratios have changed.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See below:

upload_2020-9-16_18-58-15.jpeg

10. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist