1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Time to Dance

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by ktn4eg, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The best argument against dancing can be made by watching me try to do it

Best argument for dancing is found in scripture.

Confronting the text: Qoheleth's argument might be that a wise person would know when the correct time was.

Scripture would suggest joyous times and during time of praise… like when we celebrate Christ's resurrection.

You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks to you forever! Psalm 30:11–12 (ESV)

Praise him with tambourine and dance; praise him with strings and pipe! Praise him with sounding cymbals; praise him with loud clashing cymbals! Psalm 150:4–5 (ESV)

Imagine that, percussion instruments and dancing in praise of our Lord.
    Not so sure our fundy friends will be in the front row.

Rob

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, here is just my two cents. Dancing – it can be acceptable to God and it can be sinful. The Bible says so. The people who built the golden calf were dancing in their exaltation of the idol and the Bible says that some were naked and some translations say sexually immoral. Salome danced before Herod and got him so hot and bothered that it cost John the Baptist his life. But then again, Miriam and a bunch of women danced in honor of the Lord and the victories He had brought them through – as did King David. This was not a sin. Two different Psalms (149 and 150) give a command to dance before the Lord in honor of Him.

I don’t believe that King Solomon is talking about modern social dance in Ecclesiastes 3. The samba, the prom, wedding dances, and the like. This isn’t what he is talking about.

Here goes my opinion – take it with a grain of salt.

Solomon is writing this book at the end of his life. He is morose and disgusted at his own failures. It’s a wonderful and quite necessary book to read in my opinion despite some of the condemnation of vanities.

The passages where he speaks of a “time for everything” isn’t giving permission to do nor not do certain things. It isn’t a command to do or not do certain things. To me, it’s a statement of fact telling us that all things will be experienced on this earth. And I find – and maybe this is just me – that there is an air of monotony to the poem. Intentionally. To me Solomon is saying …. “Yes, yes, you can and will do these things - plant and harvest, kill and heal, cry and laugh, dance and grieve, …..on and on ……it’s just all part of this life.”

Also, look at the pairs of things. They are opposites. So what is “dancing” paired with as it’s opposite word? Mourning.

You can’t use Ecclesiastes to justify square dancing, waltzing, or any other type of dance as we understand dance in the modern day era.

The opposite of mourning is rejoicing and great excitement. Yes, sometimes people dance for these reasons. But it’s more of a Miriam thing or a King David thing or Psalm 149 and 150 thing.

Is it a sin to dance for social reasons? The Bible has specific things that are sinful to God – impurity, sensuality, immorality, and being a stumbling block. If the dance you are doing involves these things, then yes, it’s a sin.

If the dance you are doing does not include those things – then it can be fun, good exercise, a display of your heart's joy, and quite benign.

There is no condemnation of dance in the Bible, but there is condemnation of the wicked heart(s) that incorporated wicked dances in their rebellion against God.

#22 Scarlett O., Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was no dancing in the tabernacle, temple or synagogues. The Jews didn't consider worship to be a time to dance.

4. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

It's always humorous to watch someone try to force a sin into the Bible that is not there. Or define what is sin by their own measure instead of strictly by the written Word. Every sinful act or behavior is an adulteration of a God-honoring act or behavior. The same is true for dancing. There is a right time for it; whether that be in worship of God, dancing with one's spouse or children, or at a social "square dancing" type of activity.

The trouble is that so many people have been convinced that dancing is innately sinful and cannot be conducted without some vile sexual thoughts or behaviors. Perhaps this speaks more to the thought life of the condemners. It is also humorous to hear the silence from those who claim to garner their beliefs solely from Scripture when challenged with Biblical examples of God-honoring dancing. Then, just for laughs, bring up the verses on drinking wine & watch the theological "dancing" around.
    [​IMG]

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just dealin' with the text of the OP. The text was there in the first century. Did the Jews dance in the temple or in the synagogue? Did Christ and His disciples dance in their times of worship?

You can do what you want. It doesn't look like Ecc. 3:4 is the verse for you, though.

6. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

What is that supposed to mean? The verse says that there is a time to dance & a time to mourn. Those times are assumed to be self-evident; which they are. When we are glad & when we are sad....as simple as that.

#26 michael-acts17:11, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2012
  7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Gotta say that hubby and I danced around the kitchen just on Tuesday. Joyous dancing, praising God for the amazing thing He had just done. :)

8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Do tell... :smilewinkgrin:

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Well, to be quite honest, if Tracy would dance with me, I would do it at the house. However, she isn't a dancer, and I am no good at it either.

The song "I can't dance" by Genesis, whoever wrote it, had me in mind.....:D

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It means neither the Jews nor the Christians of the first century applied the verse to dancing in the Temple, synagogues or during church gatherings.

If you want to use it to support your superior, more spiritual and joyous form of worship-dance, go ahead, but you do so contrary to the testimony of the cloud of witnesses.

11. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Now that's funny! I just love how you slip those little descriptors in that haven't been used by me, or anyone else on this side of the discussion. That's not a "cloud of witnesses", just the smoke screen your blowing to give weight to your position. The only "witness" is God's word, which gives testimony to Godly men dancing before Him in praise under the Old Law. Those same Jews, which you are claiming to emulate, kept others in bondage to an unScriptural law & had Christ crucified. Do you really think their's is a true & perfect example? If God honored self-abasing dance in praise of Him under the restrictive Law, which separated God & man, I have no doubt that He is still pleased when His children dance for Him under the New Covenant of grace.

Your doctrine is one of omission, not commission. By your standards, the CofC must be correct in their rejection of any type of musical instrument in the "church" since Scripture does not record their use under the New Covenant. The CofC have the same view of music in worship as you have of dance. Let's see if your doctrine of omission is consistent or reserved for those actions which offend your personal preferences. Do you allow musical instruments in your church?

12. Mark_13

Mark_13 New Member

In our era "dancing" generally means a simulation of the sex act set to music. If you feel comfortable as a Christian with that, go for it.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL - Maybe to some but trust me, I have never simulated the sex act in dancing. Ever.

14. Mark_13

Mark_13 New Member

Good 4 U ;). What is that thing the kids were doing a couple of years back, couldn't remember the name of it. Not sure if that's what the OP was talking about. But even the tango, the bossonova, all of those are ritualized sex acts, essentially. That's not what David was doing. If someone want to whirl around ecstatically in praise of God, they should do it. Not my cup of tea either.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's exactly what we did. Let me tell you, when you see God work a miracle that will affect your life and ministry, you dance. You can't help it. Even my daughter, who was at work at the grocery store, jumped up and down when she got the text. I really think that kind of overflowing joy is wonderful - especially when it is in absolute awe at what God did. So hubby and I laughed. We danced, and we praised God - in a big way. It wasn't pretty but I'm sure just like I loved watching the overflowing joy in my children, God loved this.

16. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

So, when you cannot defend your doctrine from Scripture, you resort to setting up a straw-man & making a condemnation of those who do not adhere to your false argument. Perhaps a more accurate statement would have been, "In my church, dancing is seen as a simulation of the sex act set to music". Our "era" is not limited to your narrow, twisted view. I actually dance with my wife without the need for sex afterward. I also dance with my daughters, ages 9-18, without a single sicko-defined thought crossing my mind.

This discussion reminds me of the teachers at a fundamentalist school I attended who told the boys not to put our hands in our pockets because they thought it looked like we were, and I quote, "playing with ourselves". Sick minds judging others based upon their own sick thoughts. This is what happens when we leave the spiritual freedom of the Spirit & priesthood, and use man-made law as our guide & sustainer.

#36 michael-acts17:11, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2012
  17. Mark_13

Mark_13 New Member

No it would not have been more accurate, as I have never heard that statement uttered by anyone previously.

What do you think, I was in church, and the pastor was orating that from the pulpit, and I was scribbling it down furiously in my notes, "Dancing is the simulation of a sex act."

18. Mark_13

Mark_13 New Member

Of course, David's wife was made barren for criticizing his dancing, something to keep in mind I guess.

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

They have said that since before Jesus was on the earth. Your imagination outstrips reality.

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Oh come on Ann! You know why they say Baptists don't have s*x while standing? Cause it looks like they're dancing! :laugh::laugh:

My bad. I'll probably get an infarction....er...infraction for that. :smilewinkgrin: