1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A very silly KJVO argument...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by robycop3, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Despite their theology, they have the right KJV mistakes.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Objection, your Honor. Conjecture. You cannot know the heart of another person.

Sustained.

I have read interviews with some of the translators of the modern versions and they do not ever think they are "smarter than every other Bible reader that came before". I'd like to see support for that statement. If it's true, there has to be support. Of course the KJV translators did the same thing - changed what had already been there. What do you say about them?

They were faithful to the translation. Once again, you say they know so little about Scripture and I'd like to see that supported. Of course I addressed this in an earlier post - did you happen to read it? It was a quote from one of the NIV translators himself.

Again, I'm asking for proof that the modern translators were proud and pompous - what you are accusing them of. And that this issue of their hearts made them be dishonest in their scholarship and lie in the modern versions. Until I see such proof, I will not accept it.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can I see some hard facts here? I can give you one hard fact: I've experienced with my 4 children that the KJV has been very difficult to memorize due to the fact that they do not understand it since it is not written in their language. However, they've had no problem memorizing from the NIV or ESV, the two Bibles that we primarily use in the home.

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

No, there are many errors shown there, and while I will not go over every verse he showed, I will point out a few errors he made.

The Worldwide Church of God denies the Trinity. You believe this correct?

This is an attempt to support the Gap Theory. Do you believe there was a gap between Gen 1:1 and 1:2 and that death was in the world before Adam's sin?

This is utterly false, scapegoat is correct. The scapegoat represented the people's sin being forgiven. Here is what Matthew Henry says of the scapegoat.

If anything, the scapegoat represents Christ who took our sins upon himself, and not Satan. Wow.

Here the writer assumes they were all male, and that they were much older than the verse says. While this was a miraculous event no matter how you look at it, it is much more difficult to believe two bears killed 42 men than children.

Here this writer claims Jesus died because a soldier pierced him with a spear, but the scriptures say Jesus willingly gave up the spirit and died, and that afterward a soldier observed he was dead and then pierced him with a spear.

John 19:33 But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs:
    34 But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.

I could go on, almost everything this writer said was error, or he was nit-picking at words. And note in the last example he draws his conclusion (which is error) from the RSV.

#164 Winman, Apr 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2010
  5. Cutter

Cutter New Member

As I stated in an earlier post many of the new versions were birthed from greed and the lust of the flesh.

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, I quoted from someone else, but I agree generally with his conclusion, of course there are always exceptions.

As for your children, you gave the answer to your own question when you said the NIV and ESV are the "primary" versions you use in your home. Do you even attempt to get your children to memorize the KJV?

Oh, and do you still support that article you posted from the writer who belongs to the Worldwide Church of God?

#166 Winman, Apr 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2010
  7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My homeschool curriculum is Bob Jones. It's all KJV. My children learn the verses in the KJV but then will take their own Bibles and memorize it in the version they choose (my 7 year old is using the NIV and my 9 year old uses his ESV).

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yet there's no proof here and this comment wouldn't hold up in a court of law at all. Speculation.

9. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Excuse me, your Honor. I didn't know court was in session. :laugh:

10. RAdam

RAdam New Member

The proof is in their actions. The fact is neither the Jews, nor the classic translators like those that produced the Coverdale, the Geneva, and the KJ changed numbers in 2 Chronicles. In comes the modern translator who says, "there must have been a copyist error" and proceeds to fix that which those that came before did not fix. They exalt their own intelligence over those who came before and show that they do not really believe in preservation of the scriptures.

People say many things, but action is what counts. These people say they believe in preservation, say they are being faithful to God's word, say they are providing a faithful translation, but the facts prove otherwise.

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Apparently, Annsni is judge, jury, and executioner all in one :laugh:

Just kidding with you, Annsni!

12. RAdam

RAdam New Member

I won't go far into the whole memorizing issue, but I've known children who have memorized large chunks of the KJ.

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Apparently, Annsni is judge, jury, and executioner all in one :laugh:

Just kidding with you, Annsni!

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

And some who have the NIV, NASB, and some kids who have memorized Hebrew and Greek. You're right...it's kind of a rabbit trail.

But then again, this is a patch full of em, isn't it :laugh:

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Did you NOT hear the gavel????? Jeepers!

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

So now you're hearing things? :laugh:

Sorry, you opened the door for that one!!!!! :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.