1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A.W. Tozer on the JSOC and Outer Darkness

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by BrianReimer, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Sure you can! This idea has been presented in the "literal translation" discussion.

We should apparently translate literally, unless it violates our preconceived pretexts... I mean contexts... In which case, we can make the words say anything we want, even if there is no such idiom anywhere else in the language.

2. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Well here is something else that I am DEFINITELY interested in hearing. How is it that it is perfectly okay and without consequence to call someone an idiot or to call someone stupid or repeatedly say or do something to a brother and/or sister in which you "know" is offensive?

Explain how that is okay in your theology.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. It's not ok for anyone to say any such.

2. A true understanding of Christianity didn't lead to the Inquisitions. It was an aberration.

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

No, if the context contradicts the grammar, then your undersatnding of the grammar, or your inability to interpret it in context, is likely to be the problem.

Case and point (which nobody ever addressed):

"May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."

"May?" That means it is only possible that God will keep you blameless, right?

"The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it."

Whoops, the context says he will do it. I guess "may" doesn't always mean it's only possible, not definite.

Pnwd.

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

So, you are now accusing a brother in Christ of being unsaved?

Not only is that against the BB rules, but you're basing it on works.

Yet, you claim that salvation is not based on works at all.

Contradictions, violations of the rules set forth by the BB, and violations of the rules set forth in Scriptures.

6. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Did these questions get answered?...

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Would you rather I approve of people teaching a false gospel, when even Paul said let such people be accursed? If so, then I will gladly be banned from BB.

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Yes, and you didn't like my answer.

9. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

EDIT - Well I think there are some on this board that disagree with you and they are on your side of the theology line!

#369 J. Jump, Aug 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2007
  10. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Will is not definite.
    1 Thessalonians 5:23-24
    23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

There is no contradiction in grammar between may and will. If it is done, it is God that will do it. He is faithful.

Pwnd.

11. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

I pray that you're given a pass on this one as I don't desire you be banned, for it is better to speak honestly on this topic. Just to be clear because Accountable, J Jump, Hope of Glory, James_Newman, AW Tozer and myself believe in millenial exclusion, you thus conclude that we believe another gospel and will spend eternity in the lake of fire? Your recommendation would thus be for us to repent and believe that the JSOC is only about positive rewards and every believer will reign with Jesus Christ in the millenial kingdom and then we will obtain eternal salvation?

12. npetreley

npetreley New Member

LOL! Okay, I'm out of here. I will not get dragged into the twilight zone anymore. I'm half tempted to give up on BB. It has become overrun with people who are preaching a false gospel. Far too many of its forum participants have lost their connection with the head.

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. There's not IF in verse 24.

2. To use the optative form of eimi or ginomai is common for the NT writers.

3. For example, when Paul says, "God forbid" in Romans it is me genoito, "May it never be!"

4. When Paul says, "Blessed be the God..." in Eph 1:3, he is using the optative form of eimi.

14. npetreley

npetreley New Member

No, I wouldn't say it's definite, but I think it's a possibility. If it is serious enough to be accursed, it is serious enough to be a potential sign that you do not belong to Christ. I do not know your hearts, I do not know you the way God knows you. I can't make a call on anyone's salvation. It may be possible that you are all misguided by your desire to see people be obedient. It is possible that some of you do not belong to Him, and others are misguided. It is possible that none of you belong to Him.

But you all ARE preaching a false gospel (with the possible exception of Tozer, since I haven't read his whole take on it in context). I personally don't think you should be allowed to do so on these boards, but I don't run BB, so it's not up to me.

I can only repeat what Paul has to say about it.

If that makes me a breaker of BB rules, then oust me. I will go gladly!

15. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Whats the optative form of the word 'is'?

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I'm reasoning from the Greek of 1 Thess 5:23, 24. If your answer is about that, I will be glad to answer you.

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I boldly cast my lot with Npetreley, You Are All False Teachers.

18. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

D'oh! I guess I'm out this round.

19. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Malachi 2:17
    17 Ye have wearied the LORD with your words. Yet ye say, Wherein have we wearied him? When ye say, Every one that doeth evil is good in the sight of the LORD, and he delighteth in them; or, Where is the God of judgment?

20. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

I'm curious as to how you can consider some on "your side" non-false teachers and us false teachers.

By their fruits you shall know them right?

So calling someone an idiot and stupid and repeatedly making fun of them is fruit that is acceptable of a "correct" teacher eh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.