1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Wasted Vote

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Oct 12, 2008.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

It is the only way not to waste your vote. Your logic allows the GOP to treat us like ignorant robots who will do whatever they want us to do.

Stand up - quit wasting votes for a GOP which makes promises, lies to us, and does nothing.

Send the GOP a message in 2008!

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Let me use your logic for a minute. Say here in Ohio I start campaigning for Baldwin. Due to our efforts, Baldwin receives...say...10,000 votes. Obama wins Ohio by 8,000 votes. Was my effort for the better of the USA and our unborn children? NO! The next president may have the opportunity to appoint a couple supreme court justices which just may swing the vote to overturn Roe v. Wade. I'm in it for the big picture, not to punish or send a message to the GOP.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Would voting for Batman in a non competitive state be a wasted vote?

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

That indeed is the big picture - to send the GOP a message and stop decades of political abuse of the religious right.

Until something is done they will keep dishing up worse and worse fully confident of our vote. no matter who they offer.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. It would have no impact on which candidate won that state's electoral votes.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

We'll have to agree to disagree what the big picture entails.

For the Baldwin / third partiers...is he truly THE best choice for President? I mean, if we are searching the best possible candidate...is there nobody better in the USA than Baldwin? There has to be somebody (heard or unheard of) better than him in all the issues....why not take your logic to it's fullest and do a dilligent search for THE best candidate?

7. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the most sensible (from a Christian standpoint, not political) comment thus far on this thread!

Christians have been afraid of the political giants for so long now, they basically don't know how, in Jesus Christ, to confront them.

Petra, you've given me a new perspective on this election. Thanks!!!!!:jesus::thumbs:

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Voting for Batman would be a meaningful vote? :confused: I guess then Superman would be an even better candidate :laugh:

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Agreed - that would be the best option and that is indeed why I am still undecided. Too many states don't even record write in votes unless there are a certain number, so there would be nothing gained from that vote.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not say it would be meaningful, just that it wouldn't make any difference as to who won that state's electoral votes. :)

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Based on the comment you responded to, who's theology decides who makes the best president? Calvinist? Arminian? Pre-trib? Post-trib? Are we voting for a president based on their view of Scripture (assuming voting for a believer is the prerequisite)?

#51 webdog, Oct 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2008
  12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If a vote isn't wasted, it must be meaningful, and vice versa. It can't be both a non wasted, non meaningful vote.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the context of the Electoral College, yes, it can.

14. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Wouldn't it be better to get involved in the political process and get a good candidate the first time? If we get bad candidates the first time why should we get good candidates the second time? If citizens don't get involved democracy will die.

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No one seems to be able to explain how voting for an evil philosophy, whether less evil or not than the other, compared to voting for someone who at least shares 90% of our view points, is a wasted vote. Who will probably win is not relevent. To vote for one evil to keep another evil out of office makes no sense.

By the way, Abraham Lincoln was the last third party candidate elected to the Presidency.

From spending, to immigration, to abortion, etc, etc etc, there is NO difference between the two parties. Neither gives one care about what is best for our nation or the American people. They care about their political power, bank accounts, their corporate thug buddies, and the special interests.

News flash....................GOP does not stand for God's Own Party.

I strongly urge all those considering voting for either major party candidate to vote for Chuck Baldwin.

#55 saturneptune, Oct 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2008
  16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  17. targus

targus New Member

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baldwin is on the ballot in Arkansas.

I will be voting for Barack Obama. :)

#58 KenH, Oct 12, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, and that is the reason I have run for office. I ran on the Conservative Party line. (would have taken the Rep line, but I waited till the last minute.) The Rep party did not put anybody up, because they felt there was no way of winning. I ended getting 13% of the vote in a two way race.

20. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I have read this entire thread, and I still dont understand how a 3rd party vote will actually benefit the country or the voter?

I do understand the personal triumph that a voter may enjoy over the rejection of the two current candidates.....but in reality, what difference will it make, and how will it benefit the country or yourself?

What do you hope to gain? And who will even notice the gain, if there is even one?

AJ