1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Yankee owns 75% of Man U's stock

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, May 17, 2005.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Thoes of you who follow English football. What do you think of Malcom Glazer and Manchester United? I guess some Brits are pretty upset with his "hostile takeover".

2. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

I must be missing something. I don't understand why the Man U supporters are making a fuss. The N Y Yankees have done OK under Glazer's ownership haven't they? (Maybe US posters can make me the wiser). Football clubs are bought and sold all the time. Man U fans have this notion that Glazer will run their club into debt. It seems to me that that's a rather poor business plan. Maybe they should just wait and see.

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Errm, George Steinbrenner owns the New York Yankees (MLB). Mr. Glazer owns the Tampa Bay Bucaneers (NFL). As for the debt, IIRC this is the way most US franchises are operated. We will have to wait to see if MU is run like the Yankees or like the Oakland A's (Athletics) or somewhere in between.

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Peter King, a respected sports writer for Sports Illustrated, said the following about Mr. Glazer.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I think, fans of Manchester United, that if you'd ask me about Malcolm Glazer, your prospective new (and unwanted) owner, I'd tell you I have absolutely no idea what he's like. The leprechaunish Glazer is as reclusive and unknown as a sports owner can be. He doesn't seem to muck up the inner workings of the Bucs, though, and he approved the seemingly outlandish trade for Jon Gruden. The deal -- two first-round picks and two seconds in exchange for the coach did lead to a Super Bowl title, so it obviously worked. I understand the disgust of fans who don't want to see a carpetbagger come in and buy a national treasure like Man U, but to be honest, I don't think you'll notice very much.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

He seems to be a guy who takes over a team, and then lets the people who know what they're doing run his team. His way has worked in Tampa, and while past performance is no guarantee of future success or failure, odds are he won't decimate the team for his own personal gain.

5. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What will problably happen is Mr. Glazer will take on minority partners. Running a team as a partnership is well accepted in American sports. The selling of the minority partnerships well help reduce the debt load.

6. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Errm, its West BROMWICH Albion, not West Brompton Albion - I guess that shows how much we know about each others' sports either side of the Atlantic ;)

In any case, I think Man U fans are panicking too soon. Glazer has already affirmed his support for Sir Alex Ferguson as manager and is likely to retain much of the boardroom staff and others - so why the fuss?

7. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good now, I know what to look up in the atlas. <says he taking a sip of RNLI tea.> I found W. Bromwich but no Brompton, for an obvious reason. However, in my papers' EPL standings the team is listed as West Brom Albion. Now, you figure it out from that.

8. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

FYI The club's name is abbreviated to West Brom, but never referred to as West Brom Albion, rather West Bromwich Albion. West Bromwich is a suburb of Birmingham, right in the heart of England.

BTW what is RNLI Tea? I was once flying to the States on a preaching engagement, and was offered a cup of tea by the British Airways stewardess. I said "Yes plesae, this is the last decent cup of tea I will have for three weeks." To which she responded, "Yes, isn't amazing that you have a nation that can put a man on the moon, but cannot make a decent cup of tea." There was no answer to that! [​IMG]

9. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a brand I bought at Cost Plus Imports. According to the package, 4p goes direct to the RNLI. Now how could a old Coastie like me not support the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.

[ May 17, 2005, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Squire Robertsson ]

10. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hasten to add Lifeboat Tea is produced by the Warnford Tea Trading Company, Houghton Regis, Bedfordshire, LU5 5AW.

This brand gives new meaning to the ad phrase

11. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You expect the San Francisco Chronicle and the San Jose Mercury News to get the name of a EPL team correct?? Good Night, I consider myself blessed just to have the standings localy published.

12. J.A.B.

J.A.B. New Member

Ive heard it called West Brom Albion many times. never West Brompton though. As far as Glazer stands, who is gonna know the difference a year from now, he will just be another owner

13. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But what if you don't know much about English geography other than Devonshire is a border county that protects Cornwall from the northern barbarians. [​IMG] Then West Brom could just as easily be Brompton as Bromwich. :confused:

14. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Are there any other Americans that own foreign teams? I haven't heard of any.

15. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither have I. The only bruhaha I know of is the twist folks got in when Japanese interests bought a stake in the Seattle Mariners (MLB).