1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aaron's Article

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by SpiritualMadMan, Mar 27, 2006.

1. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

http://aaron.thriftyplanet.net/IR1.htm
    I didn't follow a lot of the article because I hadn't read Twit's work...

So, I couldn't understand some of what Aaron was talking about or against...

However, all Rock Music is not:
    Some is... All is not... There are some rather pretty tunes even from the worst of the bands...

("Beth" by Kiss comes to mind as a possible candidate...)

In some sense though I am not sure we shouldn't have a musical platform in which the express anger at the devil and protest his enslavment of people...

But, is this "church" music...

Well I know an old Sunday School tune that was pretty violent, "And, if the devil doesn't like it he can sit on a tack!"

I mean complete with motions and forceful expression...

So, I am not at all sure an outright denounciation is proper...

Unless we revisit some of our Sunday School tunes and even some of our old Hymns...

Granted the lifestyles of secular music (not just Rock) promote hedonism.

But, I have never heard a single lyric by Petra; Rez Band; or even Styper that did so...

Nor, have I ever heard a complaint against the testimony of Petra or Rez Band...

So, while absolutely correct in regards to secular music...

I disagree with my brother Aaron that it neccesarily applies to CCM...

Secular Rock is evil not good...

Lastly, I am not at all sure we can divorce "Fun" from Joy... Ie., The Pleasure Component of Joy...

Consider these few scriptures:

Job 36:11 If they obey and serve him, they shall spend their days in prosperity, and their years in pleasures.

Psa 16:11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

Psa 36:8 They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fatness of thy house; and thou shalt make them drink of the river of thy pleasures.

We *are* warned against:
    2Ti 3:4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

So we *can* make 'fun' an idol over and above God...

This we must gaurd against...

But, being Saved should be 'Fun' in that, if for no other reason, we are set from from the bondage of sin...

In short we should seek Jesus First... If we have fun doing it all the better...

But, if our fun becomes the priority...

We'd better "Face The Wall", repent, and seek Jesus all the more...

Mike Sr.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I put a link to Twit's article on the page. :cool:

3. SpiritualMadMan

Thanks,

I'll bet I have more disagreement with him!

Sounds like, from some of your arguments that he is a bit far afield...

Even for me [​IMG]

Mike Sr.

4. SpiritualMadMan

I just finished reading Twit's article...

I think my brain hurts!

It's hard to agree or disagree with a treatise this intangible...

First, I did not note any very coherent discussion of the Spiritual Side of Rock...

Whether Secular, Cultic or Christian.

This troubles me because a purely technical disertation is inadequate to communicate the true perils of Musical Style whether Rock or some other form...

The thougths and feelings of Secular Musicians don't hold any weight at all...

Even Christian Artists aren't considered 'expert' enough for this discussion as most are immature babies in Christ.

(Just look at their lyrics and lifestyles!)

Much as cartoons and comic books were purported by Chick to have been instrumental in turning China Communist...

So, too, does Music have the 'power' to turn people to or from God...

In his treatise Twit admits to being a budding theologian...

Hopefully as he blooms it will elicite a stronger emphasis on the Spiritual Dangers of Music and not just on the Technical (Natural) Aspects...

Mike Sr.
    Former Band Member & Sound Tech/Engineer