1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Abased and Wretched

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by KenH, May 22, 2022.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I am much abased in my own sight, because of sin. “O Lord, You know my foolishness, and my sins are not hidden from You.” I know that the precious blood of my Surety has atoned for them all. But I loathe the evil working of my nature. Dearest Lord, hear the cry of my heart, which cannot be put in words, and with precious blood purge my conscience, and fully restore my soul to the simplicity which is in You. You alone did teach me the life of faith. Oh, renew that teaching amidst all discouragements!"

- from Gleanings from the Inner Life of Ruth Bryan

"What are all the painted toys of time, compared with the solemn, weighty realities of eternity? But alas! what wretches are we when left to sin, self, and Satan! How unable to withstand the faintest breath of temptation! How bent upon backsliding! Who can fathom the depths of the human heart? Oh, what but grace, superabounding grace, can either suit or save such wretches?"

- from Letters of J. C. Philpot

• Like Like x 1
  2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I notice since I first joined this forum of the lack of the belief of Total Depravity... Without the work of the faith of Christ alone to atone... The sinners blight is a fright... Brother Glen:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings,

Thank you for sharing the Letter's of JC Philpot's. I have his whole collection of Sermon's, Meditation's, Letter's, and much more. I have not heard any pastor/teacher teach such Holy Spirit filled truth in ANY pulpit since my Rebirth in Christ 44 years ago. It is a shame that no one who has come out from the unauthorized Bible College's, Universities the past 100 years or more, have not the Holy Spirit in their preaching or their teaching.

JC Philpot saw the on coming Apostasy, which was prevalent in his day, 1840's- till his death in 1869! It has come to pass, we are presently seeing such apostasy from most church's in these last days, and I have seen the affects of what was to come, since in mid-90's, and the spread of the false Gospel and a False Christ throughout the world. Just as the Lord revealed it would happen.

I pray the Lord have mercy, and protect ALL of His true Children, and cause us to HIDE ourselves in Him, our High Tower, and granting us the gift of His Holy Spirit discernment in the dark and trying days!

I have never heard of Ruth Bryan, I have looked her up, and found her writings from a diary........will speak later about her when I have read her writings.

The Lord bless you...
    In His Love.....

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another Calvinism screed thread, this time proclaiming the false doctrine of "Total Spiritual Inability." Just how were the people of Matthew 23:13 in the process of entering the kingdom without any spiritual ability? No answer will be forthcoming.

Why did Jesus say "your faith has saved you" if people have no ability to embrace God's love? No answer will be forthcoming.

Will we get more banality as these from the past? The people seeking to enter the kingdom were not seeking God, or what Jesus actually meant was "your [God instilled] faith! And so it goes...

5. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greetings,

Here is a strong teaching and warning from JC Philpot who saw the writing on the wall, which many have NOT been trained to see. I have been a watchman, and I have and still do give warnings to warn of the pollution within the "church" in the world, in order to make the "babes in Christ" aware of the teachings of wolves in sheep clothing.

JC Philpot:

"The Pope and Pagan giants warred against the body; but the
    Infidel giant wars against the soul. The weapons of Popery and Paganism
    were the rough and ready bodily application of fire and fagot, rack and
    thumbscrew; the weapons of infidelity are much more polished and quiet, but
    addressed with deadly effect to the intellect, and adapted to all classes of
    society. Scientific discussions of eminent geologists; annual meetings of
    learned societies in the large towns and prominent centres of civilisation;
    Essays and Reviews from divines in high places or University professors,
    address themselves to the educated classes of society; whilst popular lectures,
    leading articles, half argument, half banter, in Sunday newspapers, trashy
    tales openly ridiculing religion and covertly advocating infidel principles, with
    a whole host of cheap publications of a similar character, serve up the same
    dish for the food and entertainment of the less educated masses."

"but a watchman should not be unobservant of the signs of the times, nor shut
    himself up in his sentry-box looking only in one direction. If there be a
    "coming struggle," and if Infidelity be the last enemy of the Church, to be
    forewarned is to be forearmed. At any rate, if, when the Lord is about to
    bring a sword upon the land, the watchman see it coming, blow the trumpet,
    and warn the people, he delivers his own soul from blood, and it may be the

souls of others from destruction."

Unless a true believer has been shifted through the purging process by the working's of the Holy Spirit, they are not aware of how wretched and worthless they truly are within their hearts. And they do not realize that "Without Christ they can do absolutely nothing", and that includes Salvation itself.

The Lord bless you.....
    In His Love.....