1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Abbreviated Word Study, G2564, Kaleo

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never got a straight answer for this.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's 1 Cor. 1:26.

This has nothing to do with an invitation. Look at the following verse: "But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things to shame the strong."

God chose. He did not merely invite --He chose.

Indeed. The effectual call is what I have been emphasizing throughout this thread.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All Scripture Cited Is From The NIV

There is no way to get around the facts presented in the above.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another argument for obliterating the actual word meanings of kaleo, by translating all four meanings as one word. Incredible.
    The Greek verb is erroneously yet uniformly translated as "call" and means:

1) to speak an invitation, i.e. beckon,
    2) to name something, i.e. to call Peter the rock,
    3) to appeal to someone, i.e. call upon the name of the Lord,
    4) or metaphorically to be one who responded, i.e. "the called."

So each time you come across the word call translating kaleo, consider which of the four meanings is intended. "Published works give an impression of finality, but in truth there is no end point for the translator, either in concept or in execution—only the ongoing attempt to draw nearer to the source." By considering which of the four intended meanings fits best, we engage in that ongoing attempt to draw nearer to the source.

For example in 1 Timothy 6:12, when you were transferred into Christ, you obtained eternal life. So what is the idea of taking hold of that status? Are we not to live as children of God, being diligent to act like a chip off the old block, i.e. like Jesus? See 1 Timothy 6:19.

#64 Van, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2014
  5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is incredible is your oversized ego. You don't like the fact that translations both old and new use some form of the word call in a plethora of places in the epistles. The translators were accomplished in their field whereas you have no expertise whatsoever. Yet you regularly boast that your choices are the "fully-intended messages of God" --what gall.

There is not one translation which has that whatsoever. Instead they say something to the effect of "to which you were called."
    That is rather irreverent of you. The passage has no relationship to your strange rendering.

"In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life." (NIV)

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does Mr. Rippon deny that kaleo has four meanings? He does not say.
    Does Mr. Rippon think translating different word meanings using the same English word is sound translation? He does not say.
    Does Mr Rippon deny that to kaleo on the name of the Lord is to rely wholeheartedly on the Lord? He does not say.

No, all Mr. Rippon does is repeat that translations traditionally translate kaleo as call obscuring all four meanings.

1 Timothy 6:12 Fight the good fight of faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were (1) invited, (2) named, (3) to rely whole-heartedly upon, (4) transferred, and you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. Context obviously rules out meanings 2 and 3. But if you study the verse carefully, can you discern whether invited or transferred is the intended meaning?

#66 Van, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2014