1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Abbreviated Word Study G2749, “keimai”

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And apparently when you quote me your comments have no bearing on my quoted remarks.

I had said that your favorite translations do not follow your prescribed rules. Except for one sole instance in Phil. 1:16 all of your recommended versions do not translate correctly according to your way of thinking.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your views on concordance are quite discordant.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van : "I believe all modern translations have all utter[sic] failed to faithfully translate the Bible because they translate the same Greek word into many English words, obliterating the actual message of Scripture." (7/26/2011)

Van : "There is no reason for the 'myriad' of different translations of the same Greek word. As I have shown, they are largely unnecessary corruptions of the author's actaul word usage." (7/26/2011)

Van to John of Japan : "I think you are using your understanding of the meaning of the word concordance, and since I am not using it in that way, somehow my usage is inappropriate. Concordance simply means a state of agreement, and so choosing the fewest English words possible to translate a Greek word provides concordance." (7/27/2011)

John of Japan to Van : "You don't know Greek, you're not a linguist, you're not a translator. Yet when I object to your view of concordance as being inaccurate, you believe I'm being 'a tad judgmental,' is that correct?" (7/28/2011)

Van : "The lack of scholarship exhibited by the so called scholars, the message of scripture has to be obliterated to a significant degree." (8/7/2011)

John of Japan to Van : "If you are truly looking for insight, you'll humbly ask for help in understanding what translating by concordance means." (8/7/2011)

John of Japan to Van : "Do you have any sources at all other than a normal dictionary for your supposedly authoritative view of concordance? Any?" (8/7/2011)

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That comes down to whose grasp of the scriptures would be better, one who does word studies, or one who is actual translator/linguist...

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Snips from an article by Andrew Rzalowsky :Why I Switched to the NIV:

#2) The notion of transparency comes from a false notion, I believe, of glossing rather than a robust notion of languages as systems with their own meaning-making resources...a notion of transparency based on...what? Glosses from our favorite lexicons? BDAG perhaps?

#5) Consistency in translating words may aid an English only reader in concordance type searches but it doesn't necessarily aid in the interpretation of meaning in passages, the more important issue. If I had to choose one, I would go for meaning in context rather than consistency in wording. We may have to choose one of the two options for a single translation but both options in separate translations may help the English only reader.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any yet again, we have a wholesale effort to change the subject from word study. And this from those who do not do word studies.

The #2 comment is a joke, many modern translations give lip service to the goal of transparency.

The #5 comment is absurd, since Greek words are translated willy nilly into many English words, in the digital age, word searches are based on the lexiconal word and CK or Strong's number. And the last sentence, actually advocates word study!

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And we all know, because you have told us --you can do so much better despite having zero qualifications.
    There you go again Jimmy Carter. Why must you continually trash translators? What gives you the right to have such a superiority complex?

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Ad hominem argument, a logical fallacy

2) Factually false and bogus charge, to translate contextually and concordantly is the opposite of making willy nilly translation choices.

3)
    4) The "fewest English words" or phrases possible to translate the range of meanings of a Greek word is a goal of translation. Thus, in this word study, the meaning of being seated to judge was translated in as few phrases as possible given the context, i.e. (1) seat, (2) seated themselves, (3) seated himself, and (4) seated myself.

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The second meaning you give is not a metaphor it is an idiom. There is a huge difference. I suggest further study on your part of basic linguistics.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used the term from the above characterization. This is consistent with Strongs and Thayers. Others sources use "figuratively" Can you provide a source that says the meaning is not metaphoric or figurative or literal but idomatic?

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the link but I did not see where the essay addressed the question. Here is another source, the third:
    Metaphor is "a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable," while idiom is "a group of words established by usage as having a meaning not deducible from those of the individual words." (New Oxford English Dictionary)

Thus my usage was spot on, as were Strong's and Thayer's.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The essay addressed with multiple sources the meaning of the term "idiom" (which is mistaken in your dictionary quote). I assumed you would then make the proper deduction, which you have not.

Have a good one.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This issue was not the meaning of "idiom" the issue was the meaning of metaphoric word usage. I supported my statement, used metaphorically, rather than used "idiomatically" from three separate sources.

Did JOJ say Strong's was wrong? Nope. Did JOJ say Thayer's was wrong? Nope. Did JOJ say the New Oxford Dictionary was wrong about metaphoic? Nope.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here we have a word that literally means to lie down, or to lay something down, to set down something or to put something somewhere. However, metaphorically, it refers to God placing someone or something somewhere for His purpose, and so can be properly translated as something being destined or put there to be the cause of something according to God’s purpose.

Lets look at a few of its usages in scripture, ones that seem to use the word metaphorically.

Luke 2:34, And Simeon blessed them and said to Mary His mother, “Behold, this Child is appointed for the fall and rise of many in Israel, and for a sign to be opposed—

Here the literal meaning “put here” to be the cause of many… captures what is literally and metaphorically being said.

Philippians 1:16, the latter do it out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel;

Other versions say “put here” and that more literal rendering best captures the idea.

1 Thessalonians 3:3, so that no one would be disturbed by these afflictions; for you yourselves know that we have been destined for this.

Again, the rendering “put here” seems spot on.

1 Timothy 1:9, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the )ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and )profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers

Here, I see no need to pull off the literal meaning, i.e. law is not “put here” for a ….

Revelation 4:2, Immediately I was in the Spirit; and behold, a throne was standing in heaven, and One sitting on the throne.

The word does not mean “standing” but does include being set somewhere, so a throne put there in heaven seems to hit the mark. For example a throne laid down in heaven might suggest erroneously it was tipped over.

Bottom line, of the 5 metaphorical usages, “put here” or “put there” better presents the literal and metaphoric meaning of the word.

#35 Van, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
  16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Van has repeated his OP I might as well reprise my reply to his opener.

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh look, there is a rock at the bottom of the babbling brook. Bottom line, of the 5 metaphorical usages, “put here” or “put there” better presents both the literal and metaphorical meaning of the word. The various non-literal renderings are not germane to the discussion.

Words have meanings and those meanings should be translated with fidelity and concordance.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus is the Rock. He is the Rock of my salvation. He is the Living Water. I am a little brook at best as the Holy Spirit intercedes for me through my wordless groans.
    There are very little "literal" meanings of the words you seek to impose upon the English text time and again.

Of course the renderings of various translations are relevant to the discussion. Translators who really do translate need to be respected by you Van.
    The meanings need to be translated with fidelity to the original texts. But as I have explained to you over and over --lexical concordance needs to take a back seat to contextual concordance.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bottom line, of the 5 metaphorical usages, “put here” or “put there” better presents both the literal and metaphorical meaning of the word. The various non-literal renderings are not germane to the discussion.

Words have meanings and those meanings should be translated with fidelity and concordance.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You got credit for one verse --Phil.1;16. You scored 20%.
    Fidelity and concordance often do not fit together. Fidelity and contextual concordance work hand-in-glove though.