1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Abbreviated Word Study G5087, tithemi

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You trip all over yourself when you try intellectualizing Van. I will express my personal incredulity as much as I like. I don't believe you much of the time and I will say so.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you certainly will continue to offer logical fallacies, since you seem not able to do actual word studies.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your post is invalid.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Out of hand dismissals without evidence and reasoned rebuttal is no better than offering logical fallacies.

Btw, the topic is the meaning of Tithemi, and the best choices for translation.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your post had no substance --don't pretend otherwise.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “Tithemi” has three basic meanings, to set something somewhere; (2)to change the status of someone for a purpose; and (3) to present or set forth an idea or account, such as set forth the gospel.

The first basic meaning is to put, place, set, or lay something somewhere. This meaning is by far the most common meaning found in scripture.

The second basic meaning, to change the status of someone for a purpose, either by designating a person for a task or office, or by establishing needed characteristics of a person such that they can complete a task or fulfil the requirements of the office.

The third basic meaning is to present or set forth something, such as to set forth the gospel.

The second and third basic meaning can be translated into English using designate, establish, and set forth.

Lets look at the verses where the second or third basic meaning appears to be the intended meaning:

Matthew 24:51, and will cut him in pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

I think designate is a little better than assign because it can be viewed as dismissal or at least to be set apart. In baseball, players cut from the team are designated for assignment.

Luke 12:46, the master of that slave will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know, and will cut him in pieces, and assign him a place with the unbelievers.

Designate again implies putting a person away from oneself, i.e. set apart.

John 15:16, You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you.

Here, I think “established” better presents the intended message. In order to bear fruit, we must abide in Christ and Christ in us; therefore we are a new creation. We have been established, converted in Christ.

Acts 1:7, He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority;

Designated conveys the message more concordantly.

Acts 5:4, While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control? Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.”

Here I think set forth captures the idea better, the evil plan was not just conceived, it was developed, arranged and set forth in his heart as a plan of action.

Acts 13:47, For so the Lord has commanded us, ‘I HAVE PLACED YOU AS A LIGHT FOR THE GENTILES, THAT YOU MAY BRING SALVATION TO THE END OF THE EARTH.’

Here, I think, “established” you as a light better reflects the gifting of Paul by the Holy Spirit.

Acts 20:28, Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God, which He purchased with His own blood.

Here, “established” you as overseers provides the implication of a changed (converted) status, i.e. gifted in administration.

Acts 27:12, Because the harbor was not suitable for wintering, the majority reached a decision to put out to sea from there, if somehow they could reach Phoenix, a harbor of Crete, facing southwest and northwest, and spend the winter there.

The majority set forth the decision to put out to sea. Again, the idea is not just a conceived idea, but a developed plan, involving not only to leave, but where to go and why.

Romans 4:17, (as it is written, “A FATHER OF MANY NATIONS HAVE I MADE YOU”) in the presence of Him whom he believed, even God, who gives life to the dead and calls into being that which does not exist.

Here, if we stick with a literal translation of “tithemi” we would go with “established.” However, that would obscure the linkage to Genesis 17:5 where we find “made.” While the Hebrew word in Genesis also means to put or set, it is translated as “made” over 100 times. So I think a footnote is required, i.e. “made or established”

1 Corinthians 9:18, “What then is my reward? That, when I preach the gospel, I may offer the gospel without charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel.

Here, set forth the gospel points to a full presentation, and not an abbreviated feel good alteration.

1 Corinthians 12:18 But now God has placed the members, each one of them, in the body, just as He desired.

Established points to the act of the Holy Spirit gifting members to build up the body.

1 Corinthians 12:28, And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues.

For the same reason, “established” is better here, pointing to the gifting of the Holy Spirit rather than putting someone not specially equipped in a position.

2 Corinthians 5:19, namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation.

Set forth better captures the idea of reconciliation being provided through the whole gospel.

1 Thessalonians 5:9, For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ,

Designated works best here, i.e. God has set us apart for salvation.

1 Timothy 2:7, For this I was appointed a preacher and an apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying) as a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.

“Established as” seems better, conveying the gifting of Paul by the Holy Spirit.

2 Timothy 1:11, for which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle and a teacher.

Again, “established as” seems a better choice.

Hebrews 1:2, in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world.

“Established as” seems better, because of Christ’s authenticating miracles.

1 Peter 2:8, and, “A STONE OF STUMBLING AND A ROCK OF OFFENSE”; for they stumble because they are disobedient to the word, and to this doom they were also appointed.

Again, they were designated because of their stumbling over salvation through faith and not works.

2 Peter 2:6, and if He condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to destruction by reducing them to ashes, having made them an example to those who would live ungodly lives thereafter;

Here, I think, “set them forth as” is better than “made” because the purpose was to provide an illustration.

In summary, G5087, tithemi, is used about 19 times where the meaning is designate (5 times), establish (9 times), and set forth (5 times.)

One of the key insights arising from this word study is that God did not just assign a person to an office or task, many times He equipped the person,i.e. gifts of the Holy Spirit, so as to establish the person for that task or office.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You rely on old regurgitated material. It must mean that you have lost confidence that your agenda has not been making proper headway.

#87 Rippon, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014